Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closing favourite threads.....

Options
  • 21-12-2012 8:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭

30000 posts over 3 threads, but apparently there was discussion over a mods brekkie one day and they decided to lock it down...

(this is not a dig at mods or anything else, but i LIKED that thread!!)
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,305 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

For site performance purposes there's a limit of 10,000 posts in any single thread. Usually when a thread hits that limit a new one is opened to carry on from the closed thread.

Oops, thought this was Feedback, so to keep with the rant, damn those mods and their brekkies!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,783 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

oh no, this one was killted and we're not allowed re-open it...

Must've been the weetabix!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,844 ✭✭✭Honey-ec

Indeed. Ridiculous decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

Zaph wrote: »
    For site performance purposes there's a limit of 10,000 posts in any single thread. Usually when a thread hits that limit a new one is opened to carry on from the closed thread.

Oops, thought this was Feedback, so to keep with the rant, damn those mods and their brekkies!

Just give it more ram!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

30000 posts over 3 threads, but apparently there was discussion over a mods brekkie one day and they decided to lock it down...

(this is not a dig at mods or anything else, but i LIKED that thread!!)

Cén thread?

EDIT: I see what thread you mean

Not a fan of people getting on their high horse and saying 'this shouldn't be discussed' and mods agreeing with them

If you don't want something being discussed, nobody is holding a gun to your head and forcing you to read the bloody thing

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

The thing annoying me about it is that they had their reasons for closing it, most of which are in the feedback thread for that particular forum.

What they fail to take into consideration though, is the fact that the things people complained about in the feedback thread don't actually over-ride the good. So many new users got help in that thread. Hell, even I got help in that thread when I was worrying about asking somebody out or not, and I'm not a new user! I really think the good over-rode the bad and that it was a stupid call.

Ugh.

Edit to say - while I think it was a bad call, I have nothing but respect for the mods, and I didn't mean that to sound in any way rude towards them!

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 8,490 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fluorescence

Moved to Feedback from Ranting and Raving

I can kinda understand why it was closed in that the thread had no real 'home' but if that was the feeling then the first thread should have been closed and directed elsewhere. To allow 30k posts over 3 threads sets a precedent.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

I'm really disappointed that this thread is closed. It was my favourite thread on boards and has helped me and no doubt countless others.

Would the mods have a suggestionfor where a new version of this thread could find a home?

To allow 30k posts over 3 threads sets a precedent.

No, it demonstrates that the tGC mods were accommodating in allowing the threads to reside in that forum. However when they became more work that they're worth, then really there isn't a mod on the site who wouldn't have done the same thing had they been in the tGC mods' shoes. Just as an example of what I mean, those threads have generated over 150 reported posts in about a year and a half. That's a lot of work for the mods for threads that don't really belong in their forum.

• Advertisement

No, it demonstrates that the tGC mods were accommodating in allowing the threads to reside in that forum. However when they became more work that they're worth, then really there isn't a mod on the site who wouldn't have done the same thing had they been in the tGC mods' shoes. Just as an example of what I mean, those threads have generated over 150 reported posts in about a year and a half. That's a lot of work for the mods for threads that don't really belong in their forum.

That's fair enough Zaph, I don't think anyone who is on this thread or has been disappointed by the closure would give out about the mods there.

To be honest, i wouldn't have considered 150 reported posts out of 30000 a lot. But i do take your point about it being extra work for threads that they accommodated.

I don't think there would be enough interest in it for a forum all of its own, but i would second Tigger99's request that maybe someone point us in a direction of a forum where it CAN live?

That's fair enough Zaph, I don't think anyone who is on this thread or has been disappointed by the closure would give out about the mods there.

Ah no, I appreciate that this isn't about the mods, but rather a modding decision.
    To be honest, i wouldn't have considered 150 reported posts out of 30000 a lot. But i do take your point about it being extra work for threads that they accommodated.

It's a lot when you consider that:

1 - All our mods are volunteers and give up their time freely to keep the site running

2 - Each reported post requires varying degrees of effort to resolve. Many are clear cut, but in a big thread where a reported post refers to a discussion that's been going on for the previous 100 posts, there's a lot of catching up to do before the mod can even start to consider what's to be done.

3 - The vast majority of threads on Boards generate zero reported posts
    I don't think there would be enough interest in it for a forum all of its own, but i would second Tigger99's request that maybe someone point us in a direction of a forum where it CAN live?

I can guarantee that any forum request for this would fail. There simply isn't broad enough subject matter to sustain one. As for a suitable forum for a new thread, tbh I really don't think there is one. From what I've seen the threads were a mix between an agony aunt, a support group and somewhere people just wanted to have a chat. There isn't a forum on Boards that would support that mix. Maybe you could create a social group for it?

Ah no, I appreciate that this isn't about the mods, but rather a modding decision.

1 - All our mods are volunteers and give up their time freely to keep the site running

2 - Each reported post requires varying degrees of effort to resolve. Many are clear cut, but in a big thread where a reported post refers to a discussion that's been going on for the previous 100 posts, there's a lot of catching up to do before the mod can even start to consider what's to be done.

I'd also doubt that the vast majority of threads have 30k posts. ;)

I'm a mod on a site myself, so I understand how much time can be eaten up by it. Especially when it's your own time!

I can guarantee that any forum request for this would fail. There simply isn't broad enough subject matter to sustain one. As for a suitable forum for a new thread, tbh I really don't think there is one. From what I've seen the threads were a mix between an agony aunt, a support group and somewhere people just wanted to have a chat. There isn't a forum on Boards that would support that mix. Maybe you could create a social group for it?

I know a forum request would fail, it would be be a one thread forum! :D
    I don't think anyone would even suggest it to be honest.

The problem with the social groups is that not a lot of people know about them. We hard a LOT of lurkers on that thread. I have seen it mentioned on other sites.

It is a strange one alright, just had a look at it there, it seems it was kicked from tLL to tGC and then kicked out of tGC for broadly the same reasons.

Perhaps there might be scope for a new forum with the same ethos as tLL and tGC but gender neutral?

Or would that be too much of a PITA?

pithater1 wrote: »
    It is a strange one alright, just had a look at it there, it seems it was kicked from tLL to tGC and then kicked out of tGC for broadly the same reasons.

Perhaps there might be scope for a new forum with the same ethos as tLL and tGC but gender neutral?

TNGSF.

the non gender specific forum....

;):D

TNGSF.

the non gender specific forum....

;):D

Ha could call it the Lounge or something similar, kind of a halfway house between the two where the OD thread 'should' fit in.

pithater1 wrote: »

That's putting it mildly!

As a former tLL mod, I know that it's a very tough forum to mod. I'd imagine tGC is similar, and both those forums are aimed at a clearly defined demographic. To be honest, I can't think of how you could run a mixed gender forum like this. Inevitably some people will take offence that it's too/not enough male/female oriented and that the mods are biased. And then you'll have threads that may be better suited to one of the other forums, but there'd be claims from the other gender that they were being excluded if it were moved. I'd say the chances of getting anyone to agree to mod a forum like that are next to none, and I wouldn't blame them.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

To be honest, I can't think of how you could run a mixed gender forum like this. Inevitably some people will take offence that it's too/not enough male/female oriented and that the mods are biased. And then you'll have threads that may be better suited to one of the other forums, but there'd be claims from the other gender that they were being excluded if it were moved. I'd say the chances of getting anyone to agree to mod a forum like that are next to none, and I wouldn't blame them.

Aw, no. :( We're going to have to shut down After Hours! And PI/RI! And The Noc, and C&H, Health & Fitness, Parenting, Literature, Radio, Primary & Pre-School, Politics, LGBT, Oulwans'n'Oulfellas, Philosphy, Religion & Spirituality and their sub-fora, Television, the various college forums...

Aw, no. :( We're going to have to shut down After Hours! And PI/RI! And The Noc, and C&H, Health & Fitness, Parenting, Literature, Radio, Primary & Pre-School, Politics, LGBT, Oulwans'n'Oulfellas, Philosphy, Religion & Spirituality and their sub-fora, Television, the various college forums...

Well I never liked the college forums anyway... :pac:

I know what you're saying, but I think the gist of the question pithater asked is whether it would be possible to have a "gender issues" type forum (for want of a better description) in the manner of tLL and tGC, but open to all. I think it would be too hard to police and would inevitably detract from the other two forums.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,893 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I know what you're saying, but I think the gist of the question pithater asked is whether it would be possible to have a "gender issues" type forum (for want of a better description) in the manner of tLL and tGC, but open to all. I think it would be too hard to police and would inevitably detract from the other two forums.

Ah yeah, I got what you meant. :) Just wanted to get the above point out of the way Devil's advocate-style, before someone more awkward tried to make an issue of it!

• Advertisement

Ah yeah, I got what you meant. :) Just wanted to get the above point out of the way Devil's advocate-style, before someone more awkward tried to make an issue of it!

Damn.... gonna have to come up with another tack!! :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,247 ✭✭✭Tigger99

What about if a social group could be set up with the posters from the thread, or would that be a big job, not really sure how they are set up.

Ok, I would mean that lurkers couldnt see it, but sure at the moment there's no thread, so anything would be better than that.

I've put in a request at the helpdesk about setting one up.

group set up. Called, imaginatively enough, Online Dating Group

Linky

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/group.php?groupid=349

Yeah that was what I meant, of course once I had posted it I realised that there probably wasn't going to be a snowballs chance in hell of 1) anyone wanting to mod it, and 2) any sort of coherent argument that wouldn't go around in circles and lead to multiple bannings etc

Great idea in theory but would never work in practice

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

In fairness to TGC this was discussed in the feedback thread in TGC a few months ago. There were not any great arguments for keeping the dating thread open which tells me that posters in that thread were disconnected from TGC.
    As the thread was popular it might have been a better idea to move it rather than close it but as discussed in the feedback thread there is no natural home for it.
    OP approach other mods who make take it into their forum

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    In fairness to TGC this was discussed in the feedback thread in TGC a few months ago. There were not any great arguments for keeping the dating thread open which tells me that posters in that thread were disconnected from TGC.
    As the thread was popular it might have been a better idea to move it rather than close it but as discussed in the feedback thread there is no natural home for it.
    OP approach other mods who make take it into their forum

The question is who would want it, it looks like an absolute trainwreck to mod.

Thinking about it, the most logical place for it would be PI but I can see it falling foul of the strict modding there fairly sharpish.

As an ex-PI mod I can assure you that PI isn't a forum for open ended discussion and chat like that thread was used for, so I'd have to disagree with you that it would be the logical home for it.

As an ex-PI mod I can assure you that PI isn't a forum for open ended discussion and chat like that thread was used for, so I'd have to disagree with you that it would be the logical home for it.

That't true, the only Pro for that argument was that if you were to pigeon hole online dating you'd have to consider it as a personal issue.

The cons for that far outweigh the pros though...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

I think it would fit well into BGRH

Advertisement