Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Closing favourite threads.....

Options
13»

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

pithater1 wrote: »
    In that case I think a bit of a clique mentality was represented.

Looking through the OD threads it seem the majority of posters there wouldn't be what you'd call 'seasoned/established posters' whereas the majority of posters on the feedback thread were what you'd call 'seasoned/established posters'.

Its almost like a situation in a golf or country club where you have a group of longstanding members and then a new group of members join said club. The longstanding members don't like what the 'newbies' mainly talk about and make moves to have said 'newbies' removed.

So the posters who were posting in the OD thread (which the regular posters of tGC could have simply ignored) now find themselves in the situation where they no longer have anywhere to post.

And to head the argument off a social group is not an adequate replacement for a thread.

It's not about being a Clique at all. We as members of boards have to recognise the scope of boards and it's sub forums. For example, I wouldn't go asking for a steak recipe in the Vegan & Vegetarian forums. tGC as the Gentlemen's Club needs it's threads to be from the perspective of or at least geared towards men's interests. Initally the Online Dating thread was setup about asking this. What's a man's opinion on it, how do they find it, perceive it?

It then evolved into being more of a gossip thread. No one was discussing opinions and perceptions regarding online dating. They were posting about how they were going on now, as in new profiles, new contacts, upcoming/previous dates, looking for advice, ridiculing other people on date sites with terrible profiles/messages.

There's no men's interest in there.
    pithater1 wrote: »
    I also realise that I might be coming across as a bit of a PITA to the lads here so if ye want I'll stop posting on this thread if they think I'm derailing the issue.

You aren't, don't. Discussions and feedback itself needs someone to respond with an opposing viewpoint.
    As an observer, it occurs to me that perhaps one of the hosted forums (such as The Lock Inn, maybe?) might be a suitable home for OD. Or even a new social forum based on online dating (though perhaps there isn't enough to discuss to warrant a forum of its own).

There's no such rule in R&R. We've never had to ban anyone, let alone listen to an appeal. If we banned every time a rule was broken we'd have few posters left.

I'd guess as a member, it might not fit The Lock Inn. As it's an extremely casual atmosphere there and a thread such as Online Dating may be a bit more formal than it is used to.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

It's not about being a Clique at all.

Agree with this. I was involved in the feedback thread and it did get quite heated in parts however there were only 1 or 2 posting in favour of keeping OD in tGC (I think Lynda who is also posting here was one of them). Most people were indifferent on it as they never posted in OD and a few more wanted it closed for reasons outlined by Drav.

The fact that not many of the regular posters from OD were involved in the feedback thread would seem to indicate that tGC was not the right place for it.

Hopefully it can find a home. There are whole forums on boards that I post in that do not get close to the amount of posts in the OD thread so it is well worth keeping it going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,255 ✭✭✭✭Esoteric_

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Agree with this. I was involved in the feedback thread and it did get quite heated in parts however there were only 1 or 2 posting in favour of keeping OD in tGC (I think Lynda who is also posting here was one of them). Most people were indifferent on it as they never posted in OD and a few more wanted it closed for reasons outlined by Drav.

The fact that not many of the regular posters from OD were involved in the feedback thread would seem to indicate that tGC was not the right place for it.

Hopefully it can find a home. There are whole forums on boards that I post in that do not get close to the amount of posts in the OD thread so it is well worth keeping it going.

I can't honestly remember. I was either in favour of keeping it there, or I didn't get involved at all. Initially, I was all in favour of keeping it there, but after reading Zaph's posts and some other posts here, I kind of agree with the mods' decision, as much as it's a pain in the you-know-whats.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,380 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

LyndaMcL wrote: »
    I can't honestly remember. I was either in favour of keeping it there, or I didn't get involved at all. Initially, I was all in favour of keeping it there, but after reading Zaph's posts and some other posts here, I kind of agree with the mods' decision, as much as it's a pain in the you-know-whats.

How sad am I that I actually read the feedback thread again. Anything not to do this bloody tax assignment:D

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,467 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Zaph wrote: »
    Interestingly enough, in the past 18 months or so 4 couples who met in BGRH have gotten married (I'm half of one of those couples :)). That said, the forum charter does include this:

No serious threads

Which I think automatically rules it out of contention.

How many of those proposals were made by one partner who had read the charter to one who hadn't? :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,163 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Only just seen this as been away for Christmas. As an infrequent poster in the OD thread I think this is a damned shame. Of all the message boards I've ever posted on I think Boards (for better or worse) is the only one where a thread would be shut down and not allowed to be reopened purely on the basis of there being no obvious 'home' for it. It's clearly a very popular thread which a lot of people here want to post in and want to read.

Surely that should be the starting point of any consideration about any thread's future.

When I first found the thread I read through pretty much the first 13,000 posts over a couple of weeks. It was almost like a textbook. An amazing resource covering a couple of hundred people's experiences of a topic which is written a lot about by journalists but rarely by people living it and trying it. It would degenerate at times -and I'm sure that there were many moderated posts in there which I hadn't been able to see - but almost always that seemed to be because there was a community of people deep in conversation about a topic that they were all interested in.

As I said, I just think this is a shame.

Advertisement