Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boxing Forum Warning/Ban

Options
  • 21-12-2012 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,965 ✭✭✭

Ok. I'll try to root out this whole escapade from the begining.

In a thread titled 'Pacquiao v Mayweather', the Mayweather being Floyd 'Money' Mayweather, a boxer commonly referred to as Money or Money Mayweather (trust me, that'll prove important when you read on) a poster called suppackofidiots was proving an incredibly.. boisterous supporter of Mayweather, unable to really accept any criticism of the boxer without a strong rebuttal. That's fine, he's totally entitled to his opinion, but it engendered many responses that sneered at his apparent 'love' for the boxer.

This is where I enter the picture. I'd read the most recent exchanges and decided to post the following, in reference to suppackofidiot's attitude, April 2012 being his account's join date:
    Syferus wrote: »
    Any chance Money himself has been among us?

Since, oh I don't know, April 2012?

Hook me up, #bro.

A simple joke, me jokingly saying suppackofidiots was infact Money himself here to talk to us about his own greatness.

Buuuuut obviously this story doesn't end there or this wouldn't be here.

The very next post is from cowzerp, a Boxing forum moderator:
    cowzerp wrote: »
    If people suspect re reg or double users report it, saying it on here will get you an infraction as that's back seat modding.

(For what it's worth, Suppackofidiots himself responded with this later.)

He then gives my post a yellow warning and provides the warning via PM as well.

And when I sign in the next day I'm thinking, what the hell? A warning? For what?

For back-seat moderation involving me claiming a poster was a 're-register', according to cowzerp when I questioned him on giving a warning to one of the least insulting jokes make at suppackofidiots' expense in the thread.

I couldn't understand that logic at all and after cowzerp's response I posted the following in the thread:
    Syferus wrote: »
    No, Supackofidiots and Cowzerp, I really, really, really, really thought you were Floyd Money Maywether, the Olympic bronze medalist, future hall of famer, millionaire jail-jumping superstar phenom spending your time on an Irish web forum switching from posting loving portraits about your own boxing prowess to the availability of Limerick FC tickets.

Y'see, it's a little-known fact LFC is his childhood team and the University of Limerick is his alma mater. The accent's just for show.

Sweet motherf**king lord. FML. Omg. Lol. Lmao.

Words do not begin to describe my incredulity right now.

Now I admit my response was hardly PC but it needs to be seen in the context of a totally baffling moderation decision to me and an entire forum that's been told I was back-seat modding. I felt I needed to responded because clearly someone had misread the first post and an incorrect perception had been allowed leak out.

That post elicited a one-week ban for me from the forum by cowzerp.

I've continued to quiz cowzerp for the reason behind the warning of the first post since then, with it emerging later that he and suppackofidiots were embroiled in a dispute over sup being a re-register of a member called 'Moneyman'. Cowzerp thought he was and summarily banned him from the forum. Suppackofidiots came to this very forum and after some deep level checks had the ban reversed. Apparently the claims he was a reregister also happened on the boxing forum itself and in that like the Admins advises cowzerp to not let people called sup a re-register.

I only actually found out about the 'Moneyman' part of this whole drama in my last message from cowzerp and it was a eureka moment because it at least explained how anyone would be able to see my first post as anything but a joke that sup was Money Mayweather himself.

However I feel I've argued my case strongly to cowzerp there there is no way my comment had any relation to a previous situation, one that I had not been aware of at all until cowzerp himself told me about it. But talking man-to-man has elicited no change in his stance nor an apology or rescinding of the original warning.

The issue I have is that cowzerp let his own dealings with sup and the Admins colour how he saw my post. He just assumed a post in a Money Mayweather thread, joking that an avowed superfan of Mayweather was actually Mayweather himself was actually some sort of reference to sup being a re-registered account. I feel he didn't even once consider that not to be the case and his position has become too entrenched now to be moved without me involving you guys.

The ban has just expired but for me that was only ever a peripheral issue for me. It's about the perception that I was being as crass as to insinuate a poster was a re-register, that I did something deserving of a warning and a dressing down. I realise it matters for very little in the grand scheme but when I see sup making little references to it like this it gets under my skin that I know I was wrongly treated.

Look, I'm reasonable - even though my second post was completely caused by the poor moderation I can see it was over-the-top and did look to be openly questioning a moderator's decision. I'd be completely fine with getting a warning or even an infraction for that post.

What I'm not fine with is the warning for the first post. I want an apology (via PM would be more than enough) from cowzerp, the warning for that post rescinded and cowzerp to explain to suppackofidiots that he was wrong to think I was insinuating he was a re-register.

It's honestly became an issue of principle for me at this point and I'm willing to see this process out until I'm vindicated.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,251 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Per Dispute Resolution charter please attempt to resolve this issue by PM with the moderator. If it cannot be resolved by an exchange of PMs, then please advise.

Advertisement