Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unmarked Car - Blue dash light only

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 289 ✭✭searescue

Capri wrote: »
    I did see a grey VW Touareg with red tail strobes being let thru to an accident on the N11 - ambulance / fire ??

No matter who they are they shouldn't use the siren/lights to 'bulldoze' through traffic - and if they cause /are involved in an accident, will they remain at the scene :mad: If they were professionals then less use of the lights/siren actually speeds up progress thru traffic if they 'read' the road ahead.

Possibly an Assistant Chief Fire Officer or higher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭martinsvi

I've got my licence over on the continent, I was trained and taught that in majority of European countries blue lights without the use of a siren only allow the emergency service vehicles to park in the area where it's not legal or to secure emergency site. Use of these lights WITHOUT a siren does not give the right of way and does not give the right to exceed the speed limit.

Can someone give me a link to a page with these rules relevant to Ireland? What are my responsibilities as a driver if I see those lights in the rear-view mirror? I've looked everywhere and I can't find anything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,883 ✭✭✭pa990

martinsvi wrote: »
    I've got my licence over on the continent, I was trained and taught that in majority of European countries blue lights without the use of a siren only allow the emergency service vehicles to park in the area where it's not legal or to secure emergency site. Use of these lights WITHOUT a siren does not give the right of way and does not give the right to exceed the speed limit.

Can someone give me a link to a page with these rules relevant to Ireland? What are my responsibilities as a driver if I see those lights in the rear-view mirror? I've looked everywhere and I can't find anything

in Ireland they are unwritten rules

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ambo112

Under blue light conditions the driver of the emergency vehicle is "exempt" from several laws including the speed limits. To be exempt, the driver must have all visual and audio equipment in use, this whole lights only rubbish is completely wrong.

However, exemption does not waive liability, while the driver is exempt they must drive in a safe manner. If there is a collision and the emergency driver was speeding or contravened a road sign then they will be treated like anyone else who contravened the same signs. The emergency driver has no legal entitlement to right of way, it is merely requested by use of the emergency equipment.

As for other road users, there is no requirement under law for them to do anything, it is merely a request for right of way.

There is no literature out there really and the vast majority of the services have untrained drivers. The ambulance service's emergency driving course is in its infancy and the majority of staff have no advanced training.

However, the services and the RSA (Road Safety Authority) have come together recently and are developing a very high standard Advanced Driving Course for all services.

This was recently issued by the RSA. http://www.rsa.ie/Utility/News/2012/New-Booklet-Advises-How-To-Share-The-Road-With-Emergency-Vehicles/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

ambo112 wrote: »
    Under blue light conditions the driver of the emergency vehicle is "exempt" from several laws including the speed limits. To be exempt, the driver must have all visual and audio equipment in use, this whole lights only rubbish is completely wrong.

Now, where in the road traffic act does it say that.

Transporting a suspected MI for example, do you really need sirens on where they dont need to be on, possibly agitating an already nervous patient?

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭ambo112

BX 19 wrote: »
    Now, where in the road traffic act does it say that.

Transporting a suspected MI for example, do you really need sirens on where they dont need to be on, possibly agitating an already nervous patient?

It isn't in the road traffic act, it is in any advanced driving course of a high standard. It is not considered safe to progress through traffic with lights only.

The easiest way to describe this is the night club example. If you were in one side of a bar with loud music and you wanted to get someone's attention you would shout their name (Siren) and when they looked around you would wave (Lights).

Basically you use your sirens to get their attention and the lights are so they can locate you. There are several different siren sounds for various levels of congestion and there is a whole science behind this, its not just a random noise someone designed.

As for the M.I. scenario, i have heard it a hundred times. Time is muscle, they won't care about the noise if it is explained in a gentle way that you are going to be using them.

As for anxiety, if they arent worried that you have them on oxygen, given them aspirin, GTN, Entononx, maybe clopidogrel. Carried out a 12 lead and maybe called for an Advanced Paramedic the siren isnt going to do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭antichrist

ambo112 wrote: »
    It isn't in the road traffic act, it is in any advanced driving course of a high standard. It is not considered safe to progress through traffic with lights only.

Its in your stations policy folder (if you are in NAS), Lights and sires must be used while responding to emergency calls. Sirens must be used when progressing through traffic but do not need to be used at all times (eg. 4am once there is no danger).

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bobinabucket

06 D reg white Ford Ranger with a hard box cover? Little bit beat up looking? Dash light on the drivers side? it belongs to the guards. But if concerned about stopping for a dodgy looking cop car head to the nearest station or ring as other people have said. Anyone can buy a dash light and stick it in their Mondeo and pretend to be the guards. You can't be too carefull about who you stop for these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 bobinabucket

stoneill wrote: »
    Coast Guard responders are allowed have blue lights on personal cars.
    Might have been one of those lads

No body can have flashing lights on their car unless they are amber. Some fire lads use red lights but that's generally coz the local guards turn the blind eye. And that's a dying practice across the country now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

iceage wrote: »

Legislation has since been updated.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,195 ✭✭✭goldie fish

searescue wrote: »
    Legislation has since been updated.

link?

Advertisement