Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Avoiding verified by visa / securecode / 3d secure (at all costs...)

Options
  • 21-12-2012 1:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Short version:

Is there any credit card available from BOI or others that does *not* mandate use of Verified by Visa / MC Securecode on enabled websites? I don't care if it has a high interest rate or low limit, I just want out of this infuriating "security enhancement" that does little for security and just shifts liability to the card holder.

Long Version:

3D Secure / Verified by Visa / Mastercard Securecode has the following issues in my opinion:

- Longer, more complex purchasing experience
    - Unreliable in my experience, often just "doesn't work" and I'm not the only one. Ranges from refusal to accept password to poor integration in website purchasing pipeline.
    - Insecure - there is no definitive way to make sure the pop-up or pop-in iframe is genuine and encrypted when making a purchase. This is unbelievably dumb.
    - If there *is* any fraud, 3D Secure passes liability to me instead of the Vendor or the bank

See these links (take your pick from any amount of whitepapers and studies) to see that smarter people than I agree it is a terrible idea:

http://www.zdnet.com/cambridge-researchers-knock-verified-by-visa-3040008732/
    http://richardskingdom.net/verified-by-visa-bad-for-security-worse-for-business
    http://www.itwriting.com/blog/2171-the-insecurity-of-verified-by-visa-and-mastercard-securecode.html

Previously I was able to avoid having to use it by either using a different vendor or using my Laser or Paypal instead.

Now however, with a few monopoly vendors (cf irishrail, ticketmaster) using the protocol and the retirement of Laser, I've found myself blocked from making some online purchases. I note that some more customer centric online vendors (such as Amazon.com) have refused to implement it as it hurts their sales and annoys their customers.

So my questions:

1. Can BOI disable this on my cards, or issue me with any new card that does not enforce 3DS. I could cope with a high interest rate, having to click "not this time" all the time, and/or a low limit.

2. If (as I suspect) BOI cannot offer me a card without compulsory 3DS, do any posters know of any bank that will?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭Bank of Ireland: Pat

Hi Bloke,

Thank you very much for taking the time to give us your feedback in relation to the Verified by Visa and MasterCard 3d Secure facilities. We will be forwarding on your comments to the relevant business units.

At the moment we don't provide a Debit Card or Credit Card that doesn't require the use of either Verified by Visa or 3d Secure when you are making online purchases with participating retailers.

We wouldn't be able to comment on what products or services other financial institutions may provide.

Thanks
    Pat

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭bloke

thanks for the response Pat... Looking into American Express as they do not seem to use this system.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,429 ✭✭✭✭looksee

I agree about the pop up that comes with Verified by Visa. It looks totally unreliable and the first time I used it I cancelled the purchase until I could make further enquiries about it. I think once you have sorted it and set it up it is probably good, but it is very misleading that you get this totally un-asked-for thing popping up in the middle of a purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

I have yet to experience any issue with Verified by Visa, works every time I encounter it. Don't quite understand the anger being directed toward it, all you do is put in a password you've already chosen and that's it, hardly a huge hurdle or inconvenience.

I don't get it in the form of a pop-up btw, just in the standard window of whatever site I'm using.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi everyone,

Just to add that the website you are purchasing from should not have a pop up but redirect you to the Verified by Visa page in the same window and once complete direct you back to the website you are purchasing from.

I hope you all have a Merry Christmas and this helps clear things up.
    Thanks
    Linda

• Advertisement
Advertisement