Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Victoria st. / dock road corner development?

Options
  • 21-12-2012 2:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭

Was passing this spot earlier, between old tourist office and gallery 126 and somebody has started what looks like site clearance work. This spot has been semi derilict for yonks, well before any boom, twas a tyre fit place many years ago. seems strange to see it being developed now but might lift the area if done right.

westy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

westgolf wrote: »
    Was passing this spot earlier, between old tourist office and gallery 126 and somebody has started what looks like site clearance work. This spot has been semi derilict for yonks, well before any boom, twas a tyre fit place many years ago. seems strange to see it being developed now but might lift the area if done right.

westy

Not necessarily - it's never been cheaper to build... could be the owner of the site wanting to build

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭westgolf

JohnCleary wrote: »

Not necessarily - it's never been cheaper to build... could be the owner of the site wanting to build

hi johncleary.

agreed its never been cheaper to build but what caught my attention is the fact that this site is closed up since the late 70's or very early 80's. could be that someone has been building a parcel of property or units ?

westy

• Registered Users Posts: 3,270 ✭✭✭ratracer

hi johncleary.

agreed its never been cheaper to build but what caught my attention is the fact that this site is closed up since the late 70's or very early 80's. could be that someone has been building a parcel of property or units ?

westy

It's nor been closed that long, Austins stopped trading in about 1994 I think. It'd be good to see that site developed. That while area is pretty dismal considering it is on a well trafficked route

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

I can't see any planning applications for the area :confused:
    Victoria Place & Queens Street

• Advertisement

Didnt think austins was there till 90's ? will watch till we see what happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,966 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

snubbleste wrote: »

There's an old house at 19 Forster St has just has protective stuff put over the front because it's so dangerous that it needs to be demolished - I can't find a link on-line but read it in the city Tribune. This is based on an engineering report that the council has recently received, and has used to put pressure on the receivers who now own it.

Just speculating, but I wonder if the council could have had reports on various derelict buildings, and what we're seeing at in Victoria Pl / Queen is similar? Maybe not demolished ... but tidied up / secured due to concil pressure? That would explain why no planning ...

snubbleste wrote: »
    There is a notice on one of the boarded up windows but looks to be quite old / dated. will try and have a look over the next few days.

westy

There is a notice on one of the boarded up windows but looks to be quite old / dated. will try and have a look over the next few days.

westy

update : Some sort of remodelling / refit going on in the old tourist office/dept of education building... connected ?

Westy.

Advertisement