Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Techno Nights in Cork?

Options
  • 21-12-2012 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭

Been in the city a few months and loving it but struggling to find any techno music nights? I like deep house and all and there's tonnes of that in Cork but would like to find a banging techno night if it exists! (Interesting difference with Belfast where I'm from, we have way more techno than house!)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭JamieKCCO

The closest thing I can think of would be upstairs in Havana Browns on a Saturday night

Brian Corish DJ's and he plays mostly trance

Although last Saturday he was on the main floor playing chart...maybe they're mixing it up a bit because of the refurbishment, I'll let you know after this weekend :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

Ya'll be lucky to find a good techno night in cork any more, been living down here for many years and since Henry's closed there has been a few really good nights but the clubs and pubs in the city rather r&b and chart stuff so sorry to say ya'll have to travel!!!! Although a good night is to be had on the 23rd of dec in the savoy ..... The electric disco is coming to town at least it should be good if you like the old tunes.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

I'd love if there were some good electronic nights in Cork. For years I thought I hated "dance" music because all I ever heard was chart stuff, house and trance. In the past few years Last.FM has started throwing up stuff I wouldn't even have looked at years ago, and I actually quite like it.

The best I've been to in Cork for non-house/trance type electronic music was the prohibition night in the Half Moon where they played a decent bit of electro-swing.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Wasnt there one in the pav before?

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

Saw Ben Klock a few weeks back, it was good but I'm surprised there isn't a regular night of underground techno. And no, Havana Browns is diametrically opposed to what I'm looking for!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 500 ✭✭✭Spindle

Wasnt there one in the pav before?

Yeah there was a night in the Pav alright, they even got Surgeon (Anthony Child) to play a gig. But there hasn't been any techno in there for a while.

Not aware of any regular techno night in Cork though, always thought there would be more of a market for more Electronic nights in Cork, but most clubs just play pop/chart mixes nothing really innovative out there. Even the dub step nights didn't take off.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭JamieKCCO

Palo Alto wrote: »
    Havana Browns is diametrically opposed to what I'm looking for!

Well they're after turning the second floor into a smoking room so Corish's set is gone if you're ever inclined to check it out, was talking to him last night, he's moving to Dublin so no need to venture inside!

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭martin12

I remember An Cruiscin Lan had few techno nights

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,437 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Spindle wrote: »
    Yeah there was a night in the Pav alright, they even got Surgeon (Anthony Child) to play a gig. But there hasn't been any techno in there for a while.

Not aware of any regular techno night in Cork though, always thought there would be more of a market for more Electronic nights in Cork, but most clubs just play pop/chart mixes nothing really innovative out there. Even the dub step nights didn't take off.

That's a pity,I remember when the records shops were around,the vinyl room,synethic records,sweet beat,there were monthly sometimes weekly residences of club nights,I suspose the record shops were supporting them though

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭HoggyRS

Long Island on Washington St is the spot for techno these days.

These lads are often running techno nights: https://www.facebook.com/MonoTonik.Cork

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Listen too Radio NOW on 87.8 if anyone runs something like that then theyll be advertising it

R.E havanas

Is the entire top floor now a smoking area?Therell be no dj up there?The only reason i would venture too Havanas was too go upstairs too hb'2

• Registered Users Posts: 2,552 ✭✭✭Steoob

Does anyone know about The Audio Room? Heard alot of people talking about it but havent checked it out yet. Think its techno. Its in the alley between Centra and Argos on grand parade.

• Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭HoggyRS

Steoob wrote: »
    Does anyone know about The Audio Room? Heard alot of people talking about it but havent checked it out yet. Think its techno. Its in the alley between Centra and Argos on grand parade.

Its the upstairs of the Roxy Nightclub using a different entrance.

Is downtown in echo on Thursday still going? You could in that too for gig listings

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Palo Alto

HoggyRS wrote: »
    Long Island on Washington St is the spot for techno these days.

These lads are often running techno nights: https://www.facebook.com/MonoTonik.Cork

Thanks, this looks good.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 VibrationCork

Dont listen to any of the above there is loads of techno in Cork for such a small city, more techno now than house.

Look at nights such as Bastardo Electrico, Red Social Club, Click Cork, Phoniq, Process Cork etc etc 'Bastardo Electrico' is Ireland's longest running techno night which has been running about 12 years now. That in the Pavilion once a month, while the 'Red Social Club' runs over in the Savoy once every two months or so. The last couple of years has seen Ben Klock, Marcel Dettmann, Blawan, Laurent Garnier, DVS1, Surgeon, Truss, Sunil Sharpe, DeFekt, Trevino, Perc, DJ Bone, Rolando, James Ruskin, Pariah, Boddika to name a few aside from all the local acts that play week in week out. Its hopping, DVS1 is in the Savoy this Friday

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Dont listen to any of the above there is loads of techno in Cork for such a small city, more techno now than house.

Look at nights such as Bastardo Electrico, Red Social Club, Click Cork, Phoniq, Process Cork etc etc 'Bastardo Electrico' is Ireland's longest running techno night which has been running about 12 years now. That in the Pavilion once a month, while the 'Red Social Club' runs over in the Savoy once every two months or so. The last couple of years has seen Ben Klock, Marcel Dettmann, Blawan, Laurent Garnier, DVS1, Surgeon, Truss, Sunil Sharpe, DeFekt, Trevino, Perc, DJ Bone, Rolando, James Ruskin, Pariah, Boddika to name a few aside from all the local acts that play week in week out. Its hopping, DVS1 is in the Savoy this Friday

It's alive! Dead thread has risen!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,701 ✭✭✭Bacchus

This is the 3rd zombie thread in the Cork forum in the past few weeks. This one from an account not used in 16 months! Some dark evil must be rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,613 ✭✭✭evilivor

Bacchus wrote: »
    This is the 3rd zombie thread in the Cork forum in the past few weeks. This one from an account not used in 16 months! Some dark evil must be rising.

I blame the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 ohjeez

@VibrationCork, where can i be aware of all these events?

I've been looking for techno here for a long long time, and many times had to go all the way to Dublin to Turks Head, Pygmalion or Button Factory. It's a mission...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 996 ✭✭✭Léan

@ohjeez FB/Twitter is most likely your best bet:

Bastardo Electro
    Red Social Club

The lads who run the record shop Plugd also put on events, all sorts of genres but they're worth keeping an eye on - Plugdevents

It's also worth mentioning the Stranger gigs in conjunction with the The Black Mariah gallery. These events are more sporadic but have seen the likes of Andy Stott, Chris and Cosey, Shackleton etc... been brought over for live sets over the last year or two.

I will say that in my experience always read the fine print with gig posters in Cork, i've noticed it's becoming a trend to bring artists over for DJ sets and not call them so but charge live set prices for entry...

Advertisement