Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Household Gas & Electricity prices

Options
  • 21-12-2012 2:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just got my alarming bill from Airtricity today for Gas & Elec. - And I now
    want to shop around for an alternative provider.

Anybody got any suggestions ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭wimmy

http://www.moneyguideireland.com/bord-gais-or-flogas-who-is-the-cheapest-for-gas.html

Airtricity is the cheapest for Gas.

Then on dual consumption, here is the rundown:
    What are the Cheapest Options For Gas and Electricity October 1st 2012:

If you are “dual fuel” - electricity and gas the cheapest overall option will depend on your actual usage – but based on a fairly high usage of 14200 Kwh of Gas and 5000 kwH of Electricity a year – we have calculated the lowest annual costs from the combinations of various providers…

The cheapest option is to use Bord Gais ( Direct Debit & Online Billing) for Electricity and using Flogas for your Gas (Pay by DD) . This would work out at a total of €1863 for the year.

If you want to get both fuels from the same energy provider – then the cheapest bundle is from Airtricity – but it has a 1 year contract and works out at a total of €1932 a year for the usage shown above.

More at http://www.moneyguideireland.com/electricity-and-gas-cheapest-combined-prices.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Put your usage detail into bonkers.ie

It should tell you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Personally I use a dual account with Bord Gais. We do a lot of our shopping in Tesco- and get double the discount off Bord Gais bills in clubcard tokens. My latest electricity bill was 58 Euro (however my latest gas bill was almost 300 Euro.........).

When you're shopping around- keep in mind that the unit prices are only one aspect of the equation- Airtricity do really good unit prices- however they murder you on standing charges- which is why I flit between the ESB and Bord Gais- which reminds me, I'm out of contract again.........

Advertisement