Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

west coast USA road trip

Options
  • 21-12-2012 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭

hi folks,
    just wondering if anybody has done a fly-drive holiday down the west coast of usa approx how much did you spend on fuel if you did it in a car.

thanks and merry christmas

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Totally depends on the car and how much driving you are planning.... gas is currently around $3 a gallon.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,900 ✭✭✭InTheTrees

The variations on "west coast road trip" are numerous. you could be talking anything from 500 miles to two thousand and up depending on route/side trips etc etc.

The price varies too. Whats an average? About $3.25/gallon perhaps?

And remember thats US Gallons not Imperial Gallons. Sometimes car manufacturers fuel consumption numbers can be optimistic too.

Are you going to do some flying while you're here?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 duck_77

Direct trip from Seattle to San Diego is about 1250 miles. This is on freeway only. CA makes up >50% of this.

Gas in CA is some of the most expensive in the country, typically between $3.50 and $4.00. As InTheTrees said, this is per US Gallon, about 3.5 Litres.

Where you fly and drive depends on how long you have and what you want to see. Did you mean exclusively coast or did you include Las Vegas in this? Do you mean just California or Oregon and Washington St as well?

Price estimates for fuel will depend on so many things, it is almost impossible to give an estimate. (Road type, inclines, car type, city/highway driving).

duck_77 wrote: »
    Direct trip from Seattle to San Diego is about 1250 miles. This is on freeway only. CA makes up >50% of this.

Yes, and taking I-5 (or 101 in CA) for any length would not be a fun holiday, the scenery in CA is mostly on Hwy1.

You'd also want to divert to Yosemite and/or vegas.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

You could Highway 99 from Canada to Mexico. At least I think it still goes from Canada to Mexico. :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 duck_77

I-5 replaced US-99. Neither would be much fun as a roadtrip on their own.

They pass a good way from major tourist centres.

I think the only really scenic stretch of I5 is through the mountains of southern Oregon. Ashland is a pretty town to stay the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭Killer Wench

99 was broken into state routes. You can still drive a fair bit of 99 in Washington. Depending on where you are, it is also called International Blvd, Aurora Ave, or Pacific Highway.

Here's 99 in Oregon:

http://www.aaroads.com/guide.php?page=s0099or

You can find spots of 99 in California, too.

Advertisement