Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next Generation Broadband

Options
  • 21-12-2012 4:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi,

Trying to upgrade my buinsess broadband and I was told the Monasterevin Exchange cannot deal with line speeds any higher than 12 MB at present. I get 7.4MB max over a non-shared line.

Are there any plans to enable the local exchange in the near future so that techies such as me can work from home w/out losing the will to live over line speed ?

Regards,

Darchangel

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

Hi darchangel

Would you like to PM me your landline number? I will look into this for you.

Regards

Al

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

There were no plans a year back even though eircoms highest capacity national fibre route passes right through Monasterevin. Ye are hardly Mountmellick :)

Monasterevin is on the "maybe" list for fibre but maybe means certainly not in the next two years with the maybe list starting to activate in 2015 as far as I know. The maybe list was announced before the changes to the line rental subsidy in the budget which led eircom to announce they would 'review' their investment plans.

see > http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74951239

and > http://www.nextgenerationnetwork.ie/ngn-access

Hi darchangel

I have sent you a PM on this.

Regards

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 9 darchangel

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    There were no plans a year back even though eircoms highest capacity national fibre route passes right through Monasterevin. Ye are hardly Mountmellick :)

Monasterevin is on the "maybe" list for fibre but maybe means certainly not in the next two years with the maybe list starting to activate in 2015 as far as I know. The maybe list was announced before the changes to the line rental subsidy in the budget which led eircom to announce they would 'review' their investment plans.

see > http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=74951239

and > http://www.nextgenerationnetwork.ie/ngn-access

Cheers for the updates Alan and SpongeBob.

The news is really disappointing. I thought we'd seen the back of the Irish "just-ignore-the-little-guy" investment rationale while pouring money into higher and higher quality services for "centres of population" but alas not.

Ive kept tabs on developments to local infrastructure and broadband has been absolutely the worst serviced. No-one has given me an explanation I fully understand.

I dont accept budget-based justifications or investment shortfalls. We heard exactly the same excuses during the boom and they never add up. Its sheer laziness and apathy, always is. We heard the same kind of excuses from Iarnrod Eireann over train services but after a _2 year_ campaign , we got what we were looking for. Looks like we'll have to do the same for broadband.

The time for lottery-based delivery of broadband services is just gone. Everyone requires these high speed lines because thats how our society is moving. Its not a luxury, its a basic necessity. People joke about it but for people like me whose livelihood relies on high quality connections to offices in Dublin and beyond, its so disheartening to hear the same excuses and lottery-based broadband delivery in 2012 (and now 2013) as I heard back in 2005.

As an example, we are bombarded with publicity for triple-play offers that save their customers a fortune but contact UPC for example (im a customer) the delivery is not possible because the "exchange hasn't been upgraded" for fibre. I contact my current broadband provider to upgrade to 24 MB (non-fibre) and I get the exact same answer "Exchange hasn't been upgraded" Thats just pathetic beyond belief in 2012.

Please get your finger out Eircom, UPC, Magnet whoever (part of the problem right there)

The Eircom site listing all the NGB rollouts over the next few years just proves my point. Current top 4:

Dundrum Dublin Pilot Fibre Services are now live.
    Priory Park Dublin Pilot Fibre Services are now live.
    Sandyford Dublin Pilot Fibre Services are now live.
    Wexford Wexford Pilot Fibre Services are now live.

I know for a fact that people who live in Dundrum & Sandyford (cant speak for Wexford) were able to get much higher speeds than we could even 5 years ago. So why pilot new infrastructure in areas that already have many other options (e.g Magnet, UPC etc etc) ?

Who decides the order in which rollouts occur ? Surely Eircom could pilot new services in areas that are completely outside the usual zones ? Otherwise the same groups of people will always benefit from new investment when other areas remain stagnant. This is so screwed.

As for Monasterevin,

Monasterevan Kildare Phase 5 TBA

What the hell does that even mean ? NGB TBA , do me a favour.

• Advertisement

Hi darchangel

I have sent you a PM on this.

Regards

Al
    Hi Alan,

That PM never arrived , can you please send it again ?

Thanks,

Darchangel

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Cut through the marketing and you get this.

1. In 2010 eircom launched NGB. This is a 2005 era technology standard called ADSL2+ up to 24mbits.
    2. IN 2013 eircom will launch NGA. This is a more modern technology from 2006 called VDSL2 , up to 100mbits
    3. Later on in 2014 or 2015 they may finally launch this 2006 technology in Monasterevin. Meanwhile you are stuck with ADSL2+

Standards >

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Very-high-bit-rate_digital_subscriber_line_2

http://www.ictregulationtoolkit.org/en/%20Document.2957.html (with timeline)

I dont accept this "being stuck" argument Spongebob. Its not good enough. Time we started exerting maximum pressure on all companies to respond to what we need to run successful businesses and not what they internally decide we need. Its one of the reasons Irl is in the sh8t its in, we let dominant players like Eircom/UPC run rough shod over everything.

I took a look at the IrelandOffline bb map and compared the current/prospective state of the local exchange with that of surrounding towns both in Kildare and Laois. Killenard is a useful little pointer to what is going on behind the scenes.

Name: KILLENARD (population 500 max)
    Code: KND
    STD: 57
    Enabled: y
    ADSL1 Or 2: 1
    Area in KM2: 0.0
    VDSL Program: y
    VDSL By Year: 2014
    > On the VDSL map
    NGB: n
    Fibre:

Name: MONASTEREVAN (population 3,400)
    Code: MVA
    STD: 45
    Area in KM2: 58.5
    VDSL Program: n
    > Not on the VDSL map
    VDSL By Year:
    Fibre: 

So a much  bigger town is not on the map for an upgrade where a much smaller town (look at the coverage area -->0 km) is due an upgrade next year. Doesnt make any sense does it ?

Any eircom voice care to comment on this discrepancy ?

Darchangel

darchangel wrote: »
    I dont accept this "being stuck" argument Spongebob. Its not good enough. Time we started exerting maximum pressure on all companies to respond to what we need to run successful businesses and not what they internally decide we need. Its one of the reasons Irl is in the sh8t its in, we let dominant players like Eircom/UPC run rough shod over everything.

I took a look at the IrelandOffline bb map and compared the current/prospective state of the local exchange with that of surrounding towns both in Kildare and Laois. Killenard is a useful little pointer to what is going on behind the scenes.

Name: KILLENARD (population 500 max)
    Code: KND
    STD: 57
    Area in KM2: 0.0
    VDSL Program: y
    VDSL By Year: 2014 > On the VDSL map
    Fibre:

Name: MONASTEREVAN (population 3,400)
    Code: MVA
    STD: 45
    Area in KM2: 58.5
    VDSL Program: n > Not on the VDSL map
    VDSL By Year:
    Fibre: 

So a much  bigger town is not on the map for an upgrade where a much smaller town (look at the coverage area -->0 km) is due an upgrade next year. Doesnt make any sense does it ?

Any eircom voice care to comment on this discrepancy ?

Darchangel

Hi Darchangel

I have sent you the PM I had originally sent in december.

Thanks,

Al

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭blueser

Whatever happened to this service? It was supposed to be getting rolled out years ago, but it's never come to my area. I live in a rural area, three miles from the nearest exchange (Charlestown). Now the town is supposed to be getting fibre broadband, but the chances of it ever coming out as far as me are, I would guess, zero. But surely, NGB could be made available to us "non-townies"? The speed I'm currently getting is a risible 2.2mb. Makes me laugh when I hear friends living in a rural part of Yorkshire complaining about their "slow" 10mb speed.

• Advertisement

blueser wrote: »
    Whatever happened to this service? It was supposed to be getting rolled out years ago, but it's never come to my area. I live in a rural area, three miles from the nearest exchange (Charlestown). Now the town is supposed to be getting fibre broadband, but the chances of it ever coming out as far as me are, I would guess, zero. But surely, NGB could be made available to us "non-townies"? The speed I'm currently getting is a risible 2.2mb. Makes me laugh when I hear friends living in a rural part of Yorkshire complaining about their "slow" 10mb speed.
    Hi blueser

I'm sorry to hear of this, feel free to PM me your eircom account number and I'll look in to the speed issues you have raised and also check for information surrounding NGB in your area.

Thanks
    Al

Hi blueser

I'm sorry to hear of this, feel free to PM me your eircom account number and I'll look in to the speed issues you have raised and also check for information surrounding NGB in your area.

Thanks
    Al
    Nearly two weeks now since I last contacted you, and I haven't heard anything back.

Hi blueser

Thanks
    Al
    Nearly two weeks now since I last contacted you, and I haven't heard anything back.
    Hi blueser

I'm sorry for the delays,

I can confirm the exchange you are connected to is NGB enabled however your line can only hold of a maximum of up to 3Mb due to it's distance from the Charlestown exchange.

Our networks team have investigated possible raising your 3 Mb speed profile however this will not be possible due to the current Attenuation (Attenuation is a measure of how much the signal has degraded between the DSLAM and the modem. This is largely attributed to the distance from the exchange. The lower the dB, the better for this measurement) The signals attenuation is currently 54.4dB which gives to leaway whatsoever.

I'm afraid there is nothing that can be done to improve your existing speeds. This is ultimately one of the reasons why speeds are advised as 'up to' when advertised sold and provided.

There are no plans for eFibre to extend to your area either I'm afraid. I wish I could offer you better news blueser but ultimately the only advice I can offer to look in to the governments "national broadband plan" which has promised to offer rural areas (currently not included in plans) speeds of up to 30Mb where works are set to being in 2016 - more details can be found here: http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/communications/en-ie/Broadband/Pages/Connecting-Communities-information-pamphlet.aspx

I'm sorry the news is not better but I hope I offered at least some clarity

Thank you

Al

Hi blueser

Thanks
    Al
    Hi blueser

I can confirm the exchange you are connected to is NGB enabled however your line can only hold of a maximum of up to 3Mb due to it's distance from the Charlestown exchange.

Our networks team have investigated possible raising your 3 Mb speed profile however this will not be possible due to the current Attenuation (Attenuation is a measure of how much the signal has degraded between the DSLAM and the modem. This is largely attributed to the distance from the exchange. The lower the dB, the better for this measurement) The signals attenuation is currently 54.4dB which gives to leaway whatsoever.

I'm afraid there is nothing that can be done to improve your existing speeds. This is ultimately one of the reasons why speeds are advised as 'up to' when advertised sold and provided.

There are no plans for eFibre to extend to your area either I'm afraid. I wish I could offer you better news blueser but ultimately the only advice I can offer to look in to the governments "national broadband plan" which has promised to offer rural areas (currently not included in plans) speeds of up to 30Mb where works are set to being in 2016 - more details can be found here: http://www.dcenr.gov.ie/communications/en-ie/Broadband/Pages/Connecting-Communities-information-pamphlet.aspx

Thank you

Al
    You mean I have to wait God knows how many years on these very slow speeds? Well; it's "clarity" alright, but it's majorly disappointing. If you live in the cities, you can get high speeds from Eircom now, but if you live in the country, it's a case of "keep on waiting". It's a two tier service, no two ways about it.

Hi blueser

Thanks
    Al
    Hi blueser

Thank you

Al
    You mean I have to wait God knows how many years on these very slow speeds? Well; it's "clarity" alright, but it's majorly disappointing. If you live in the cities, you can get high speeds from Eircom now, but if you live in the country, it's a case of "keep on waiting". It's a two tier service, no two ways about it.
    I fully understand your opinion and disappointment blueser - I'm genuinely sorry I can't offer you better news.

Al

What I don't understand is that fibre broadband has been around for quite a while now; probably over a decade. That should have been more than  enough time for your company to have got the entire country cabled and ready; what have you been doing during all that time? It's not that big a country. For instance, the "normal" phone cable is running along our road, about 10 yards from the front wall of my house. How difficult a job can it be to simply exchange the old cable for a fibre one? .

What I don't understand is that fibre broadband has been around for quite a while now; probably over a decade. That should have been more than  enough time for your company to have got the entire country cabled and ready; what have you been doing during all that time? It's not that big a country. For instance, the "normal" phone cable is running along our road, about 10 yards from the front wall of my house. How difficult a job can it be to simply exchange the old cable for a fibre one? .
    Hi blueser

eircom Fibre broadband has only been active since May 2013. I understand it may seem like longer though. The network development is quite a large scale operation and I'll be unable to offer you a thorough breakdown of eircoms internal infrastructural developments and expansion specifications although I'll pass on your feedback to operations.

Thanks
    Al

Advertisement