Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

And it starts

• 21-12-2012 5:13pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,464 ✭✭✭✭

Just looking on sky news now and the vice pres of the NRA is blaming games

good auld NRA, blaming anyone else except the real ones to blame themselves

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

makes about as much sense as blaming the however many million gun owners that don't commit crimes with their firearms I guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,746 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

So a gun club is blaming computer games for gun violence?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,464 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Bulletstorm,” “Grand Theft Auto,” “Mortal Kombat,” and “Splatterhouse were mentioned

The mortal Kombat one is quite funny thou

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Headshot wrote: »
    Just looking on sky news now and the vice pres of the NRA is blaming games

good auld NRA, blaming anyone else except the real ones to blame themselves

Don't blame guns. Guns don't kill people. People kill people. People who play games. Blame games!

By that logic

Don't blame guns. Guns don't kill people. People kill people. People who like guns. Blame guns!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,171 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

As I always say when these points are made about video games being to blame: i'd love to see the games guys like Hitler, Bin Laden and Hussein played.

Command & Conquer?

• Advertisement

So a gun club is blaming computer games for gun violence?

Gun nut - I'm going to get my gun and murder you!

Gamer - Sign up for Xbox LIVE, get a gamer account, buy Halo, log on (around Saturday lunch time), search for me and then start a custom game, and I'll murder you!

CastorTroy wrote: »
    As I always say when these points are made about video games being to blame: i'd love to see the games guys like Hitler, Bin Laden and Hussein played.

Command & Conquer?

Well Hitler liked to pee on his cousins face, so I imagine more along the lines of No More Heros :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

CastorTroy wrote: »

Command & Conquer?

Stalin was in that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

What about the Bath school disaster, no video games back then:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster

• Advertisement

Remember when Jack the Ripper played Trauma Center on his Wii?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭Icyseanfitz

lets show a bit of respect to the victims and families....or we could just use this to push our own agenda :mad: fcuking muppets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭jd007

When GTA V comes out the first thing I'm gonna do is get a prostitute and kill her for no reason.

After that I'll probably buy a copy of the game and play it for a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,456 ✭✭✭Icepick

Carlin has this guy covered.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,447 ✭✭✭richymcdermott

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/365190/Killer-Adam-Lanza-obsessed-with-violent-video-games/

facepalm/ to the so called journalist who blames the Connecticut shooting to dynasty warriors

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭RobertFoster

Zombrex wrote: »

Don't blame guns. Guns don't kill people. People kill people. People who play games. Blame games!

By that logic

Don't blame guns. Guns don't kill people. People kill people. People who like guns. Blame guns!
    Guns don't kill people, death kills people. Ask a doctor, it's a medical fact.

lets show a bit of respect to the victims and families....or we could just use this to push our own agenda :mad: fcuking muppets

What agenda is this, and who's it being pushed on?

Personally i think it goes without saying that your average gamer does have sympathy towards real life shooting incidents victims and families, like what's happened recently. But this blame game that a gunclub is playing here is to me at least, completely upside down.

Ye can blame whoever ye want, but it was the arsehole who pulled the trigger that's really to blame here not what tv programmes he watched or what games he played. He might have played Chess too, does that mean that the rest of the world should stop playing chess? fcuk no.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

What agenda is this, and who's it being pushed on?

Personally i think it goes without saying that your average gamer does have sympathy towards real life shooting incidents victims and families, like what's happened recently. But this blame game that a gunclub is playing here is to me at least, completely upside down.

Ye can blame whoever ye want, but it was the arsehole who pulled the trigger that's really to blame here not what tv programmes he watched or what games he played. He might have played Chess too, does that mean that the rest of the world should stop playing chess? fcuk no.

I think he was talking about the anti gun lobbyists.

I read it the same way as you did though until I thought about it more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

So the best solution they can come up with to gun murders in schools in gun battles in schools?

Hey whatever helps sell more guns.

Fair enough, yeah does look that way :D

fs, thought we were gonna have a discussion there for a moment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭The Gnome

Not a huge fan of him but TotalBiscuit pretty much sums up the whole fiasco pretty well in this video.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 215 ✭✭Rebel Rebel

Listing to Davenport after dark podcast earlier today, and as a result of the massacres in America, Gun sales have soared especially the sales of the type of one the gunman used to kill all the children.

http://media.newstalk.ie/podcast/70131/?uniqueID=404829

Clearly games are the problem and not gun control

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Oh-you-83219197145.jpeg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/365190/Killer-Adam-Lanza-obsessed-with-violent-video-games/

facepalm/ to the so called journalist who blames the Connecticut shooting to dynasty warriors

from the article:

Cowardly Adam Lanza, 20, was driven to carry out the bloody killings after his parents split up and his friends alienated him, reports emerging from America revealed.

Those ****ing video games! :mad::pac:

Maybe it was his XBox friends and, um, Big Daddy and Mother Brain?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,116 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

That video by TotalBiscuits is spot on. He gets everything right. No more needs to be said, but you won't see any news station or print quoting him or anyone like him. I recommend everyone watch it, and use the information he provides to inform anyone who thinks gaming is to blame on the real reasons why things like this happen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,389 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

The Penn-Teller-BS series outing on this is actually very good. The last three minutes are quite jarringly off-note with the rest of the episode, very well done.

[edited for spelling and formatting]

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Zomg Okay

It's like a Facebook status I saw the other day, that went something like: "Blaming video games for the recent shootings is like me saying, 'Yeah, I've been sitting on my arse for the past year or so playing Fifa so I reckon I'm ready to sign up for Chelsea at the weekend'".

Zomg Okay wrote: »
    It's like a Facebook status I saw the other day, that went something like: "Blaming video games for the recent shootings is like me saying, 'Yeah, I've been sitting on my arse for the past year or so playing Fifa so I reckon I'm ready to sign up for Chelsea at the weekend'".

He couldn't do worse than Torres

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 31,967 ✭✭✭✭Sarky

I started playing Spec Ops: The Line earlier today. I was thinking "hey, this is a slick shooter, nothing new but lots of fun" most of the way until I got to that part where
    you use the white phosphorous mortar and have to walk through the carnage, with dead and dying soldiers everywhere, and then you find out you unwittingly murdered a whole bunch of civilians
    , and I just... stopped playing. That scene robbed me of the enthusiasm I had been having during the action. It made me want to stop playing, but in a good way. A violent game turned me off violence. I had the same feeling playing Hotline Miami, fantastic fun during the action, but when everything calms down and you actually see what you've done...

The NRA and media are so far from the truth it's staggering. They can go f*ck themselves.

Advertisement