Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corrib fatality MCIB report

Options
  • 21-12-2012 5:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

The report into the tragic fatal accident on Corrib earlier this year has been released and is available here http://www.mcib.ie/reports/?thisid=2053.

Its a valuable read and I hope that lessons can be learned from it.

anglingcharts

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Really Unfortunate tragedy. The expected survival times at the temperatures of the day is a bit of an eye opener!

R.I.P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Very strange that it took 34 minutes from getting the second casualty on board the helicopter to landing at UHG - surely only 5 mins flight time! I know it probably made no difference to the outcome, but the timeline must be wrong...

• Registered Users Posts: 34 anglingcharts

Zzippy wrote: »
    Very strange that it took 34 minutes from getting the second casualty on board the helicopter to landing at UHG - surely only 5 mins flight time! I know it probably made no difference to the outcome, but the timeline must be wrong...

The MCIB reports tend to be rather less detailed than MAIB reports, and lack, at least in this case, such items as solid "recommendations". While there may be some problems with record keeping or transcription of times etc I think the essence of the report is what is important. In this report the MCIB have omitted to make any solid constructive recommendations - merely stating Codes which should be read or observed - which is barely constructive and misses a wonderful opportunity for getting a message across.

I'd like to think the report could instigate some constructive discussion and raise awareness. If the MCIB can't make solid recommendations for preventative action then it could be initiated by the users of the lake, and anyone brave enough to put their hand in the air and say - "we need to change the way we do this". This was the very hardest way to produce a "lesson learned".

BIM operate a media truck which travels the country providing safety education and updating for sea fishermen. Something similar available for Lake anglers would certainly raise awareness.

Anglingcharts

• Registered Users Posts: 14,166 ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

The MCIB reports tend to be rather less detailed than MAIB reports, and lack, at least in this case, such items as solid "recommendations". While there may be some problems with record keeping or transcription of times etc I think the essence of the report is what is important. In this report the MCIB have omitted to make any solid constructive recommendations - merely stating Codes which should be read or observed - which is barely constructive and misses a wonderful opportunity for getting a message across.

I'd like to think the report could instigate some constructive discussion and raise awareness. If the MCIB can't make solid recommendations for preventative action then it could be initiated by the users of the lake, and anyone brave enough to put their hand in the air and say - "we need to change the way we do this". This was the very hardest way to produce a "lesson learned".

BIM operate a media truck which travels the country providing safety education and updating for sea fishermen. Something similar available for Lake anglers would certainly raise awareness.

Anglingcharts

Good points. I know I, and pretty much everyone else I know, never use the kill-cord as it is supposed to be used. I also don't carry smoke canisters or flares, or a VHF. The amount of equipment listed in the code is ridiculous for most small lake boats - there would be no room left in the boat for anglers and angling gear, but I'll seriously reconsider the smoke flares and using the kill cord properly in future...

• Registered Users Posts: 34 anglingcharts

Zzippy wrote: »
    Good points. I know I, and pretty much everyone else I know, never use the kill-cord as it is supposed to be used. I also don't carry smoke canisters or flares, or a VHF. The amount of equipment listed in the code is ridiculous for most small lake boats - there would be no room left in the boat for anglers and angling gear, but I'll seriously reconsider the smoke flares and using the kill cord properly in future...

Something like this
    http://www.safety-marine.co.uk/life-jackets-and-accessories/lifejacket-accessories-spares-and-re-arm-kits/p4531s63/crewsaver-dayandnight-flare-pocket.htm

would probably be adequate and takes no room whatsoever. The list of recommended equipment is onerous to say the least - and could probably be whittled down to a few sensible items.

Anglingcharts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭gary29428

I was one of the five boats who was there searched for and indeed found the missing angler that day. There are a few points here that I wouldn't be entirely happy with, in particular the fact that there was little mention of the extraordinary efforts made by three of my fellow anglers to reach Michael on the shore once we located him. The shore where he was, was extremely exposed and dangerous and the guys put themselves and more so there boats and engines in harms way to land and get to Michael. It was also the quick thinking of another fellow angler from the north who no doubt saved the other angler and got the rescue chopper to come back and pick him up. All in all it was a dreadful experience and will stay with everyone who there that day. I only hope lessons can be learned and I or anybody else never has to deal with an event like this again. RIP Michael.....

• Registered Users Posts: 3 tights_ie

This is a terrible disaster and condolences to the family.
    One thing concernes me in the report and that is they state that the boat does not appear to comply with the RCD.
    I would like to know why is does not comply as there are loads of these boats all over the country and much older than the one involved as is mine.
    Is it just because they boat did not have a CE Plate?
    Has the design of these boats changed since to make them comply?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 342 ✭✭martin46585

The design and layout of these and every other similar boat has not changed, though what has changed is that people are being advised on the both the capacity and maximum engine power, by way of a ce stamped plate.
    Something similar to what the rsa have put in place, with regards car trailers.
    As beforehand, the trailer owner could claim not to have known the correct unladen weight and what the trailer could indeed carry.
    as with the boat it will have to be tested and stamped accordingly.....

Advertisement