Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How difficult is it to get a job teaching Music + Religion?

• 21-12-2012 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭

Right now I'm in 5th year, a couple of months ago, I decided to investigate going down the career path of being a music teacher, I enjoy music a lot, I'm pretty decent at it and I figure it would be a job I wouldn't get tired with if I were to stick with it for the rest of my life. Then, I realised, most teachers teach more than one subject, Religion is another subject I enjoy and I'm really good at.
    However, I've realised my school only has three qualified music teachers, two of which I don't think teach any music classes, one of them is pretty much there to take free classes. I was also thinking of possibly trying to become an English teacher, while I wouldn't enjoy this as much as the other two, I do enjoy English as a subject, would that change things?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,505 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

English teachers are ten a penny and jobs are very hard to come by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭2011abc

It would be very hard to recommend teaching as a career in Ireland (or the UK/USA ?)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

2011abc wrote: »
    It would be very hard to recommend teaching as a career in Ireland (or the UK/USA ?)

Well I suppose the op' s chances are as good a anyone elses really. As regards music and religion both are minority subjects..how about using it with maths/science or business!

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭wicklowgal

Right now I'm in 5th year, a couple of months ago, I decided to investigate going down the career path of being a music teacher, I enjoy music a lot, I'm pretty decent at it and I figure it would be a job I wouldn't get tired with if I were to stick with it for the rest of my life. Then, I realised, most teachers teach more than one subject, Religion is another subject I enjoy and I'm really good at.
    However, I've realised my school only has three qualified music teachers, two of which I don't think teach any music classes, one of them is pretty much there to take free classes. I was also thinking of possibly trying to become an English teacher, while I wouldn't enjoy this as much as the other two, I do enjoy English as a subject, would that change things?

I am a qualified music and religion teacher. I graduated in 2010. I went straight into a maternity leave(just RE and CSPE), which lasted 3 months, I then got kept on as a Resource teacher in the same school for the remainder of the school year. September 2011 I got a maternity leave as a Chaplain in a Community School until January 2012. I have been out of teaching work since then. It's only getting worse I'm afraid.

I also have lots of friends who are English teachers, who are also out of work! No surprises there either unfortunately , as there are lots of English teachers.

Maybe consider Irish if you're any good at it. ALWAYS jobs for Irish teachers going.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭whiteandlight

It's a bit misleading to say there are always jobs going for Irish teachers. There may be short term demand for substitution for some some subjects more than others (Irish included) but the reality OP is there are ver few decent contracts in teaching now. At the height of the boom the average wait time was 7 years for a permanent job. I would speculate that it's probably twice as long now. In addition the RPT contracts on offer are often for very low hours eg 5/22 hours meaning even these coveted positions (paid for the summer) are difficult to survive on.

I would not advise anyone not to go into teaching if it is their dream job and profession. However you must be very realistic about the prospects for employment which are currently terrible and not likely to improve in the short to medium term.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 268 ✭✭castaway_lady

If you REALLY want to teach and dont see yourself doing anything else then maybe pursue it, but just go into it with your eyes open about the jobs situation- its dire! Definitely dont bank on English teaching earning you enough to put a sliced pan on your table. Irish would be a better option. You could always do a diploma in religion teaching after qualifying on a part time basis. Consider too that there may be opportunities to teach music in private music schools or by giving private lessons yourself which could keep the wolf from the door while biding your time in the jobs market. Plenty of schools dont even have music on the curriculum too.

Advertisement