Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What is Owendore Crescent, Rathfarnham like?

Options
  • 21-12-2012 7:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi

Am moving into a place in owendore crescent in Rathfarnam in the new year. Any idea what this estate is like.

Cheers

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

It's nice. I live nearby and I don't think I've ever heard anything negative about it. It's right behind the Garda station and 30 seconds to the village. Lots of facilities nearby, the 75 goes from pretty much your front door, 16 and some others are around the corner. The Yellow House is five mins walk and you've Tesco in Rathfarnham a ten min walk away. Not a bad spot I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 jamesd90

Thanks Rossie nice to know am moving into a good place

• Registered Users Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭wyndham

Make sure you call into Ranbir in Rathfarnham village if you like Indian.

wyndham wrote: »
    Make sure you call into Ranbir in Rathfarnham village if you like Indian.

Cannot agree with this enough. Delhi Lounge is the best Indian food going. Had it last night :D

love Indian food so will defo check that out thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,305 ✭✭✭Zamboni

Rathfarnham is a great spot and I agree with everything here (especially the awesome food in the Delhi Lounge) but it would be insincere to omit some serious incidents in the village with the travellers community. Rare but serious.
    If you don't have any plans to drink in the village at night then you probably would be barely aware of it.

thanks Zamboni for being so candid. Could you advise what were these incidents and why are travellers coming to Rathfarnham - is there a halting site nearby

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

There are no halting sites specifically nearby, it's just a popular place for travellers to go drinking. One of the pubs in particular attempted to bar a group of travellers from the pub a good while back but was taken to court and lost, so the owner has ever since been somewhat terrified of taking any action even when there's trouble. So it's become a popular place with travellers, presumably because they don't get any hassle there.

As Zamboni says, trouble is very rare but you wouldn't go to the village if you wanted a couple of quiet relaxed pints on a Saturday night.

jamesd90 wrote: »
    thanks Zamboni for being so candid. Could you advise what were these incidents and why are travellers coming to Rathfarnham - is there a halting site nearby

There isn't a halting site nearby. There's two areas nearby that have traveller accomodation - at the back of Nutgrove SC and on Ballyboden Road. I've never heard of trouble on Ballyboden Road and by all accounts they're great neighbours. There's been a few incidents in Nutgrove but nothing that's really going to bother you on Butterfield Ave.

Re the Village, Seamus is correct. There was one serious incident, in October I think? It was covered in the Herald. But it's rare, really rare in fact. Just choose a different local. You won't have any trouble in The Yellow House or The Orchard. The most hassle you'll get are kids asking you (politely to be fair to them) to get them drink in the Centra on a Saturday night.

I've lived in Rathfarnham my whole life and I have had one bad incident - the window in my car was smashed five years ago. That's it and that could happen anywhere.

Thanks guys, guess there is a rough element everywhere, will just stay out of the village on a Saturday night

• Advertisement
Advertisement