Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wifi and Wired Internet Side by Side

Options
  • 21-12-2012 9:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Is there any way to setup my laptop so it can receive a wired internet signal via ethernet while the wifi is also on?

At the moment, only one is able to run at the same time but the wired is much faster, for downloading. (3mb connection I think)

The wifi router is a Belkin and the wired one is a zyxel. They both share the same phoneline. Is it possible to have both running without blocking each other off? Just so its possible I can use the wired while other people have access to the wifi.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

Of course it is :) . Others use the wifi, you use the wired lan connection will be no problem, the router will take care of the connections, I assume this is what you mean? Btw turn of the dhcp server on the Zyxcel, and use the lan ports on the belkin to connect to the net

Nick

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭Lightbulb Sun

yoyo wrote: »
    Of course it is :) . Others use the wifi, you use the wired lan connection will be no problem, the router will take care of the connections, I assume this is what you mean? Btw turn of the dhcp server on the Zyxcel, and use the lan ports on the belkin to connect to the net

Nick

I think so yes. I want to use the wired connection coming from the zyxel while leaving the Belkin wifi router on for the rest of the house.

The Belkin router is connected only with the ac adaptor power at the moment.

How do I turn off dhcp server on the zyxel?

I think so yes. I want to use the wired connection coming from the zyxel while leaving the Belkin wifi router on for the rest of the house.

The Belkin router is connected only with the ac adaptor power at the moment.

How do I turn off dhcp server on the zyxel?

Ahh ok, the Belkin isn't connected via lan cable to the modem? If you turn off the dhcp server on the zyxel then you won't be able to connect to the internet at all. Does the belkin stop working only when you plug the lan cable in? How do you have the Belkin set up?

Nick

Ahh ok, the Belkin isn't connected via lan cable to the modem? If you turn off the dhcp server on the zyxel then you won't be able to connect to the internet at all. Does the belkin stop working only when you plug the lan cable in? How do you have the Belkin set up?

Nick

The belkin won't work side by side with the zyxel at the same time. When the zyxel is switched on the wireless stops. The belkin is running straight from another phone line.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,398 ✭✭✭Gadgetman496

Are they both modem/routers? have you both of them connected separately to 2 phone sockets?

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

• Advertisement

Are they both modem/routers? have you both of them connected separately to 2 phone sockets?

They are both routers yes. The belkin is the only one that can transmit a wifi signal. The zyxel is just a cable ethernet router.

Yep, they are both in different rooms, different sockets.

They are both routers yes. The belkin is the only one that can transmit a wifi signal. The zyxel is just a cable ethernet router.

Yep, they are both in different rooms, different sockets.

To achieve what you are trying to do you need 1 modem\router (box with a RJ11 phone socket) and a wireless router only (Box with a WAN port and 4 LAN ports). Both need to be together in the same room with a network cable connecting both, one end of the cable goes from any of the ports on the modem\router to the WAN port on the wireless router (normally a different colour to the other 4 ports)

It sounds from what you are saying that you have in fact 2 modem\routers with a phone socket on both boxes???

"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid."

You can only have one modem on the network, unless you have two seperate phone lines (numbers) which I doubt is the case.

Nick

Could it be that one of his boxes is a wireless router & can already do what's needed on its own? Connect it to the phone socket near the machine you want to be wired, connect a network cable from it to the machine, enable wireless for others to use?

Could it be that one of his boxes is a wireless router & can already do what's needed on its own? Connect it to the phone socket near the machine you want to be wired, connect a network cable from it to the machine, enable wireless for others to use?

Im guessing the Belkin is a modem/router, like the zyxel judging from his previous post. Both are plugged in to different phone points, and one knocks the other off when it's being used. That would be my understanding. The Belkin could be set up as a wireless repeater I imagine, although it would depend

Nick

• Advertisement

Im guessing the Belkin is a modem/router, like the zyxel judging from his previous post. Both are plugged in to different phone points, and one knocks the other off when it's being used. That would be my understanding. The Belkin could be set up as a wireless repeater I imagine, although it would depend

Nick

If one of them is a modem router with wireless that's all he should need to achieve his goal?

If one of them is a modem router with wireless that's all he should need to achieve his goal?

Reading ops post again it seems the zyxel is in fact only a modem, if the belkin has a modem in it as well then remove the zyxel completely and replace it with the Belkin, should solve the issue! (the belkin likely has a few lan ports on the back that can be used in conjunction with the wifi)

Nick

if the belkin has a modem in it as well then remove the zyxel completely and replace it with the Belkin, should solve the issue! (the belkin likely has a few lan ports on the back that can be used in conjunction with the wifi)

Nick

I'd say the Belkin is a modem too because he said he had both of them connected to two separate phone sockets?

• Registered Users Posts: 882 ✭✭✭moneymad

easy

pick one router to connect to the dsl [phone line]
    call that dslrouter
    other router is called dumbrouter
    connect the two routers with a crossover cable[comes with the router]
    dumb_router's default gateway is dslrouter

everything will work fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 893 ✭✭✭U_Fig

What I've done in my house was upstairs I have my internet coming in it transmits wifi then I bought a power line adapter kit one plugged in upstairs into the router and one down stairs. I then have a second router ( I think it's actually a switch) connected to the downstairs powerline adapter in bridging mode which also has wifi and I've my HTPC xbox and skybox connected via Ethernet.. That way I get a strong signal anywhere in the house and wired on the Xbox and htpc for better gaming and downloading

Cost me like €80 for the parts and cables but considering you have 2 routers you could do this alot cheaper

Nick

That's exactly it.

Yes. I can use the wired lan ethernet connection from the Belkin router but it's not in a room I have regular access to (Parents room) That position is the best in the house for spreading the wifi signal to the whole house.
    Reading ops post again it seems the zyxel is in fact only a modem, if the belkin has a modem in it as well then remove the zyxel completely and replace it with the Belkin, should solve the issue! (the belkin likely has a few lan ports on the back that can be used in conjunction with the wifi)

Nick

It is possible yes but I'm looking for a way to use both in conjunction. I believe there is possibly a computer command for this. Moneymads suggestion sounds effective if I can figure it out.

moneymad wrote: »
    easy

pick one router to connect to the dsl [phone line]
    call that dslrouter
    other router is called dumbrouter
    connect the two routers with a crossover cable[comes with the router]
    dumb_router's default gateway is dslrouter

everything will work fine.

That would require him to run a cable from his parents room to the second router location? He might as well just plug said cable into his Laptop directly?

If you don't want to run a cable you should consider a set of home plugs

200Mbps for £28

500Mbps for £38

That would require him to run a cable from his parents room to the second router location? He might as well just plug said cable into his Laptop directly?

If you don't want to run a cable you should consider a set of home plugs

200Mbps for £28

500Mbps for £38

How do they work? Do they feed off the Belkin or the phone line?

How do they work? Do they feed off the Belkin or the phone line?

Plug one into a mains socket in your parents room and use the supplied network cable to connect it to the router.

Plug the second one into a mains socket in your room and use the supplied network cable to connect from it to your laptop. Job done!

They use the existing electrical house circuit to transmit a broadband signal.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Does the Wifi modem not have Ethernet ports? Just use that as your main modem?

Or buy this and plug it into your non-wireless modem

• Advertisement

Plug one into a mains socket in your parents room and use the supplied network cable to connect it to the router.

Plug the second one into a mains socket in your room and use the supplied network cable to connect from it to your laptop. Job done!

They use the existing electrical house circuit to transmit a broadband signal.

No need for the zyxel at all then in the equation? Would the 200mbps one be more than adequate? The connection is very modest (3mb)

areyawell wrote: »
    Does the Wifi modem not have Ethernet ports? Just use that as your main modem?

Or buy this and plug it into your non-wireless modem

Yes it does but it's in the parents room. Just a case of respecting their wish of not spending a lot of time up there as its their room.

No need for the zyxel at all then in the equation? Would the 200mbps one be more than adequate? The connection is very modest (3mb)

Yes, the zyxel would be out of the equation

200's would be fine for general use but if you intend to game you would be best to run with the 500's

Yes it does but it's in the parents room. Just a case of respecting their wish of not spending a lot of time up there as its their room.

So I guess they want the modem left in their room. Have you actually tested the wireless download speed against wired. There will be no difference between wired and wireless on 3MB Broadband unless you are getting one bar of signal i.e a low signal. Also make sure that wireless modem is set to wireless N if it supports it.

There will be no difference between wired and wireless on 3MB Broadband.

:confused:

I think it's a wireless G router. To be honest, the wired is usually always faster than the wireless consistently no matter what the wireless signal.

The speeds get slowed down if the Xbox Live (my brother is the one who uses this) hogs the bandwidth.

:confused:

I get same pings on wired and wireless on 24 meg broadband. I get 2.2 m/bs per second wired, 2.2 mb/s wireless with no difference to wired. Ping times are the same as well.

Even if your brother hogs the bandwith downloading torrents etc, Game Demos etc having it wired is not going to help if he is constantly downloading or streaming!

I get same pings on wired and wireless on 24 meg broadband. I get 2.2 m/bs per second wired, 2.2 mb/s wireless with no difference to wired. Ping times are the same as well.

Even if your brother hogs the bandwith downloading torrents etc, Game Demos etc having it wired is not going to help if he is constantly downloading or streaming!

It's not always possible to have the wireless at a great signal. It's only 2/5 bars now for example.

I measured it yesterday. The wired downloaded the exact same file around 40-50 kbps quicker.

Mightn't seem like much but it is a bit more significant when you aren't fortunate to have access to very good broadband.

Advertisement