Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Magnet wi-fi cutting off when downloading

• 21-12-2012 10:50pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Been having these issues for a while now and it is getting to me now.

I have Magnet fiber broadband 30 megs, have three computers on the network.
    I use bittorrent to download stuff and unless I limit my download speed my internet connection cuts off - wifi connection completely disappears for a minute or so on all computers. TV though keeps working fine on the same line.
    I usually end up limiting my download speed to about 500 kB/s to sustain connectivity.
    I am using Magnet provided equipment a modem and a wifi switch, but at my old house (also magnet) I used my own wifi router and had exact same issue. I have also tried using different torrent software and had the same problem.

Called tech support yesterday and the guy had never heard of this before, however said he would escalate this and someone would get back to me.

Any ideas what could it be?

Cheers,
    Alex

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Any solution to this? I have the same issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sasar

jive wrote: »
    Any solution to this? I have the same issue
    None yet. Tech support still looking into this.
    Will update this post once i hear back from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭rampantglory

this used to happen me but only when i d/l over 10gb in a day... i just reset my modem/router and away i went again... i always took it as there way of throttling..
    i didnt mind as they dont cap ur d/l's ... fair price to pay :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Knasher

Assuming your TV is using a wired connection. Then, just a guess, but I'd imagine the problem is that the bottleneck in your network is your wireless router. With bit torrent especially you would be requesting a huge amount of data simultaneously, and this data would have to be buffered by your router until it can be passed onto your laptop. That is until the router runs out of buffer and crashes the wireless network. Normally congestion control would help with this, but this is much harder with bittorrent which is making huge numbers of connections to different peers all at once.

You don't have a whole lot of options here. You can either continue as you are, and limit your download speeds so you are never requesting more data than your wireless network can handle. You could try getting a new router with faster wireless network (plus making sure all your wireless cards can operate at that speed), so the bottleneck is back on your ISPs side. You could try using a wired network. Or, if you are technically minded, you could try setting up a small centralized wired computer, just for downloading and then sharing out the finished files.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 528 ✭✭✭rampantglory

are you using the standard magnet router..? perhaps its this im on llu but when i swapped router/modem it stopped happening all together

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sasar

I think I managed to fix it.
    I can get my max download speed without any disconnections if I limit the number of maximum connections down to 100. So far so good. Probably not even going to call Magnet back.

Advertisement