Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Timer on a heater

Options
  • 22-12-2012 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

Does anybody know how much electricity the timer on a 2kw heater would use? Would it cost alot to use the timer (without the heater on)? I only switch the timer on when im going to bed so that the heater will come on an hour or so before i get up..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

your charged €0.16 for each unit, which is 1kwHr.

So your heater is 2Kw, so every hour its on it will use 2 units, so every hour it will cost €0.16 x 2

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

your charged €0.16 for each unit, which is 1kwHr.

So your heater is 2Kw, so every hour its on it will use 2 units, so every hour it will cost €0.16 x 2

That would be cost of using it as a heater, OP is asking about just leaving it plugged in with only the timer running. I'm guessing it would use 1/2c per night, probably a lot less than your clock alarm radio etc plugged in all night.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Timers use a few watts max. 2c a night is generous for calculating the cost.

Electromechanical timers usually use more than digital, but we're still talking single digit watts.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

How warm does the timer get?

What's the power rating on the back of the timer?

The heater will use much much more than the timer.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

I would have thought that the amount used by the timer would be negligible to the point of being irrelevant?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭hibby

If the timer uses 2 watts and runs continuously, it will use 48W per day, costing a little less than 1 cent. Less than that if you only use it during the night-time hours.

Advertisement