Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best aquarium bulb for plant growth

Options
  • 22-12-2012 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭

My hubby helpfully broke one of my aquarium bulbs by accident so I need to get a replacement. I inherited the tank from my husband and the bulbs were chose a hundred years ago when there were no plants in the tank. So there's 1 old pre-plant bulb but I'd like to get a plant appropriate bulb to replace the broken one.

Does anyone have any preferences? 90 litre tank, all easy grow plants.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

T5 bulbs have worked out for me, my planted tank had T8 bulbs and I was dosing with easycarbo and so on but my plants were still dying or not growing. I got T5 bulbs after the old ones blew and now the tank is a jungle and I have to keep cutting plants back.

I don't really know a whole lot about planted tanks mind you so hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be along!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 689 ✭✭✭Mr Whirly

Look for a bulb that is between 5000k and 6500k. Ask in any decent shop and they'll put you right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭bogman

Can anybody comment or elaborate on tank size vs light requirement for modest plant growth ?

Advertisement