Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Laptop battery problem, brand new laptop.

Options
  • 22-12-2012 1:26am
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi, I have been given a new laptop as a gift. It's a toshiba Satellite c660d.

I plugged it in for its first charge for 2 hours, before turning it on for the first time.

When I turned it on for the first time I did so with the power cable still connected. I hovered over the power icon on the bottom toolbar and it said (0% battery, charging).

When I disconnected the power cable the laptop shut down immediately.

I've had it connected to the power supply for the past 3 hours and its still at 0%.

To me there seems to be a problem with the battery.

I'd like to know if anyone has had a problem like this with a new laptop, and is anyone familiar with this particular model of laptop?

I'd really appreciate any replies that may shed some light on this. I'm really not technically minded. I can't really bring it back to the supplier as it was given as a gift and I don't want to go back to the giver with this problem, I've no receipt.

Best Regards All.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭johnner09

have you tried the laptop with the power cable only?, is there a plug symbol beside the battery symbol on the task bar to indicate it is plugged in?
    sounds like the charger could be faulty if you can`t power on with just the power cable. Every laptop/netbook does.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Staff Sergeant

johnner09 wrote: »
    have you tried the laptop with the power cable only?, is there a plug symbol beside the battery symbol on the task bar to indicate it is plugged in?
    sounds like the charger could be faulty if you can`t power on with just the power cable. Every laptop/netbook does.

Hi johnner, I've tried that. I've turned it on without the battery, just the cable and it works fine. The task bar shows its plugged in too.

Gary

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭johnner09

sometimes this can happen with either a new laptop or one that has been lying up for a long long time. if you can get hold of a good battery to test it`s not your own laptop then you can rule out the charger thats the problem. another option is to leave it a good three to four hours precharging the battery and then your laptop will show it is charging normally after it`s precharge.
    hope this helps , john

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Put the battery in a warm place for few hours, then put it in and connect the power supply. Let it trickle charge like this for 6hrs, then try boot.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,435 ✭✭✭areyawell

Sounds like a windows problem.

Click Start and type device in the search field, then select Device Manager.
    Expand the Batteries category.
    Under the Batteries category, right-click the Microsoft ACPI Compliant Control Method Battery listing, and select Uninstall .
    WARNING: Do not remove the Microsoft AC Adapter driver or any other ACPI compliant driver.
    On the Device Manager taskbar, click Scan for hardware changes.
    Alternately, select Action > Scan for hardware changes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement