Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wicked cow

• 22-12-2012 2:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

I have a cow that has turned from an animal that you could milk in the field without being tied after her first calf. After her second one how ever she has completely changed. Anytime she had to be separated from him she was ready to go through the gate. If anyone walked through the field even if she was 3 fields down (interconnected, open gates) the head was up straight away. I wouldnt go into a field with her without a stick now.
    She went for a goat that made the mistake of hopping into the field charging up head down if he hasn't jumped over she would have put him through the wall
    Now that the calf is taken if her a few months she still is cross and walloping the other cows at the barrier with the butt of a horn that wasn't taken of right

Is this temporary ( great calves, loads of milk) or should I grt rid just in case she goes for someone some day. Hasn't yet but she is almost bull like in behaviour

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

I have a cow that has turned from an animal that you could milk in the field without being tied after her first calf. After her second one how ever she has completely changed. Anytime she had to be separated from him she was ready to go through the gate. If anyone walked through the field even if she was 3 fields down (interconnected, open gates) the head was up straight away. I wouldnt go into a field with her without a stick now.
    She went for a goat that made the mistake of hopping into the field charging up head down if he hasn't jumped over she would have put him through the wall
    Now that the calf is taken if her a few months she still is cross and walloping the other cows at the barrier with the butt of a horn that wasn't taken of right

Is this temporary ( great calves, loads of milk) or should I grt rid just in case she goes for someone some day. Hasn't yet but she is almost bull like in behaviour

If she hasn't calmed down by now she won't and now unfortunately she's just a liability... Fatten her and hang her in the factory, no point in selling her on for someone else to be killed by her..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 Jamesleacy501

I would just cut your losses and kill her straight away!! Too much time fattening her and when you feed her on you run the risk of mastitis!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 443 ✭✭marizpan

There are plenty of good cows out there, I wouldn't put up with it. She'll not change at this point. Would you want to deal with the hassle and risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Ballinvoher

If cow is of such poor temprement, any females calves retained from her for breeding are likely to be of similar temprement, that trait is highly heritable.
    At a minimum, do not keep heifer calves from her for breeding and the best way of ensuring this is to cull her as soon as current calf is weaned

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭loveta

Cut her throat before she "does" some maybe fatal harm maybe to a kid out playing,OAP, ect ect. If you want to fatten her and are afraid of mastitis use teat sealer tubes the are fantastic and reduce/preventing mastitis

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭truebloodfan

loveta wrote: »
    Cut her throat before she "does" some maybe fatal harm maybe to a kid out playing,OAP, ect ect. If you want to fatten her and are afraid of mastitis use teat sealer tubes the are fantastic and reduce/preventing mastitis
    Have to wait till she calves. Would only sell her to factory. It's funny though her mother was the quietest cow we ever had. The bull however I heard also turned into such a bad yoke he had to be slaughtered. Thankfully no kids on farm. Just have to continue being carefull till march when she calves then sell her

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,422 ✭✭✭just do it

Have to wait till she calves. Would only sell her to factory. It's funny though her mother was the quietest cow we ever had. The bull however I heard also turned into such a bad yoke he had to be slaughtered. Thankfully no kids on farm. Just have to continue being carefull till march when she calves then sell her

Better her dead than you dead. Have you appropriate facilities to handle her without putting yourself in danger? What are you going to do with a heifer calf if she has one? She's likely to end up as wild as her mother. What if she has trouble calving, will you be able to handle her safely?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

You take the butt of the horn off her and see the difference. We had a cow here see was a quiet as could be always had 2 butts of horns as the father had dehorned her as a calf. 2 years ago after she calved she was like an antichrist. The vet was up testing and the crush could only barely hold her. After he read the test he dehorned the butts she is a vastly different cow now.

Advertisement