Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog groomer shaved dog

• 22-12-2012 10:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

My Mam left her Springer Spaniel in for a winter groom and asked that they tidy up her hair (for christmas!). They shaved her hair and she is now a skinhead! According to the groomer she wont be too cold.
    Is this normal? I am sure that she will be missing her coat and we are too worried to let her out. We live in the country and although she sleeps indoors she is usually outside all day.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭meoklmrk91

They shouldn't have done this without your mothers permission. The only reason to deviate from what a customer asks for is if it just isn't possible, such as when there are bad matts that can't be removed by brushing etc. but even then you should contact the owner for permission. I wouldn't be to happy with this to be honest and would be asking questions.

She will more than likely feel the cold that bit more now although despite what people think for most dogs they feel the cold the same way we do with our clothes on, it's just that their fur is built in. If you want you can buy the dog a coat if you are worried but in winter I just keep my lad in as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MrsNice

meoklmrk91 wrote: »
    They shouldn't have done this without your mothers permission. The only reason to deviate from what a customer asks for is if it just isn't possible, such as when there are bad matts that can't be removed by brushing etc. but even then you should contact the owner for permission. I wouldn't be to happy with this to be honest and would be asking questions.

She will more than likely feel the cold that bit more now although despite what people think for most dogs they feel the cold the same way we do with our clothes on, it's just that their fur is built in. If you want you can buy the dog a coat if you are worried but in winter I just keep my lad in as much as possible.
    The funny thing is that all she wants to do is go outside! She was not matted at all and usually gets trimmed and washed every 6 weeks by a groomer and this time they were booked out and we went with a different guy. He knows that we are not at all happy with the service!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Personally I'd buy the dog two coats (one for wearing, one to be in the wash) for outdoors, and send the bill to the groomer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,960 ✭✭✭jimf

my thoughts exactly it was just an easy and fast way of doing the job i have 5 and do my own trimming and grooming on them just make sure you comb their ears weekly and if possible keep their feeding bowls off the ground so their ears are not dropping in food when eating

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭mymo

MrsNice wrote: »
    The funny thing is that all she wants to do is go outside! She was not matted at all and usually gets trimmed and washed every 6 weeks by a groomer and this time they were booked out and we went with a different guy. He knows that we are not at all happy with the service!

If she wasn't matted its just lazy grooming. It happened to me once with a strange groomer, shaved both my dogs to the skin, tails ears, face everything!

Dogs looked riddiculus, they were freezing too.

I asked for a puppy cut, about 1-2 inches in length, dogs had't a single matt as brushed daily. I was very p*ssed off and made that clear, never went to a new groomer again, do it myself monthly, just get a tidy twice a year from someone I know.
    If you're worried shes cold get a coat, or use an old fleece and do a diy job.

• Advertisement
Advertisement