Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Batch priming stout

Options
  • 22-12-2012 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭

Just made my first stout and it's ready for bottling, but not too sure about the priming. Can I just use fructose and how much would i need for 24 litres?
    thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭fobster

I use brown sugar dissolved in water and simmered for 10 minutes. I haven't used fructose but it should be similar to cane sugar in having close to 100% fermentability. You can use regular white sugar without any negative impact.

The below link is very handy.

http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator/carbonation.html

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

Stout would be on the low end of carbonation. Around 1.5 vols is plenty.

I use white sugar as it's the cheapest and is 100% fermentable.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭mayto

I would carbonate a stout to at least 2.5 vol co2 if you want the head to stay on the beer. I think its fine carbonating a stout low if you are using a beer tap setup but out of a bottle there is not enough co2 to form and keep the head. A lot of darker beers suffer from poor head retention anyway and a low co2 rate will make it worse. Bottles of draught guinness I tried are carbonated really high like wheat beer levels to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭Tube

If you want better head retention try a pinch of wheat malt in your brew. To me stout should be subtly carbonated.

Advertisement