Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else have/had a dog with lung infection?

• 22-12-2012 1:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭

Lily has been ill since Thursday, vets that evening, her lungs sound very fluidy and wheezy, she had short sort of laboured breathing, she got 2 injections (one metacalm, don't remember what the other one was, a bit upset) a 5 day course of anti biotics and was put on bed rest for a couple of days

She seems brighter today but her breathing is still the same and I'm just wondering when the breathing should get back to 'normal', the vet said see how she is on Saturday (today - obviously), I'm waiting for him to call back, he's out on a call (country vet and he's on call) and take her in to him for a quick check over.

Has anyone been through anything similar with their dog or have any experience? Of course I'm thinking the worse, can't bear to see her so sad looking, she's usually so full of beans and loves her walks!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

I know from my own human experience it can take anything up to a week to fully clear and it sounds a lot worse than it actually feels, so I assume it would be the same in a dog! Hope she feels better soon :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

kennel cough is very common with dogs

Make sure if you have more then one dog in te house don't leave him near the other one, as it can move from dog to dog.. My fella has gotten it a few times, takes about 2 weeks to fully clear

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Tranceypoo, whereabout are you in the country?
    My elderly Westie is in a bad old way with a chest infection since early Wednesday morning (it was his 13th birthday :()... it wouldn't be so bad only he has chronic bronchitis (an absolute given in ageing Westies), and collapsing trachea to cope with as it is, so this dose has utterly floored him.
    I took a dog from the pound 9 days ago with the same snuffly, wheezy infection. Not that I knew she had the bug at the time, she developed symptoms the following day, but has clearly passed it on to my old fella by leaving germs behind her in my van despite cleaning it: airborne bugs are damn hard (impossible?) to control.
    Like you, I'm worried sick about Mr. Westiepants. He had rallied a bit yesterday with antibiotics kicking in, but went downhill again today. He's a little more comfortable now after upping his meds, but still the rapid, shallow breathing.
    I hope your girlie gets better soon, it seems to be quite an aggressive bug :(

Edited to add: Cork24, if this is KC, it's not the "normal" one (though it is a constantly mutating virus). I've never seen KC result in such snuffliness and wheeziness except in young pups, and I've seen a hell of a lot of dogs with KC! My other two dogs haven't picked this up at all (yet).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭brian ireland

I don't was to go into it in detail because it still hurts, my dog was miss diagnosed with Blastomycosis. We paid €thousands to get him healed but it was to no avail. Still fell sick posting about him ( dino!! love you and miss you every day) Be careful waht the vets tell you! Its all about the money money.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

I don't was to go into it in detail because it still hurts, my dog was miss diagnosed with Blastomycosis. We paid €thousands to get him healed but it was to no avail. Still fell sick posting about him ( dino!! love you and miss you every day) Be careful waht the vets tell you! Its all about the money money.:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Sorry to hear about your dog brian ireland, very sad.
    Are you saying your dog had blasto? I can find no reference to this disease occurring in Ireland at all, and even in countries where it occurs, it's very rare.
    Also, whilst I fully appreciate you're annoyed with your vet, it's a little sweeping to tar them all with the money brush. There's no doubt, some are very money-focussed (you'll find people like this in every profession), but that doesn't mean they all are, by any stretch of the imagination!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭Tranceypoo

DB, I am in Galway. It's not kennel cough, she's not really coughing now, the first day or 2 she was whenever she barked when she heard my husband coming up the driveway, but it wasn't really a cough, more of a hard to catch her breath type thing, hard to describe really. Also, she's not at all snuffily in her nose.

We took her back to the vets yesterday afternoon, she was a bit brighter yesterday but her breathing hadn't improved much, he had another listen to her lungs and there is some fluid on them, her heart is fine, temperature was 104 on Thurs eve but down to 102 yesterday, he has changed her antibiotics to stronger ones and a 10 day course and I've to monitor for the next 4/5 days and there should be a marked improvement, little exercise (10 mins gentle walk per day), she is definitely brighter in herself, eating ok and toileting ok, I am remaining optimistic that these antibiotics will sort her out.

DB I really hope your poor fella gets better soon, no sorrier sight than a poor sick doggie, with those sad eyes, breaks your heart it does.

brian ireland I'm sorry to hear about your dog, I have had an experience with a vet who wasn't the best and charged ridiculous prices myself, however the vet we have now is a really good caring guy and I trust him (so far!)

Advertisement