Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off topic golf thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

@ aj.

Agree - the difference one player can make in a key role makes a good Irish team, a very good Irish team.

Sure - look at Ibram in Sweden team
    Hagi - Romania
    Stojkovic - Yugoslavia
    Daglish - Souness Scotland
    Rush - Wales

We just don't have the Keane of this generation. That world class player.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

ajcurry123 wrote: »
    Believe me, I'm a massive Keane fan Keano :)
    The article is based on Keanes mentality as a player which was second to none.
    Keane, with age and when put in a managerial position, had the same demands of excellence from his team that he expected of himself in his playing days.
    He has said that this approach didnt work with the level of players he had to manage.
    I'd argue that that's the same level as the current squad. Low level prem, decent Championship.
    Which makes a mockery of the article really.

It's easy to pick out freak results by Scotkand & Wales. Why not flip that around and say that we performed better last night than Croatia & Belgium. Because it would be lazy and incorrect to take it an base an argument around it.

Belgium and Croatia already qualified before last night so they were a model for a poor result last night

Belgium dark horses for a great WC run next year. It's amazing when you see the squad they have.

No reason we can have that in ten years if we get the structure at grass roots correct like they did ten years ago.

ForeRight wrote: »
    Belgium and Croatia already qualified before last night so they were a model for a poor result last night

Belgium dark horses for a great WC run next year. It's amazing when you see the squad they have.

No reason we can have that in ten years if we get the structure at grass roots correct like they did ten years ago.

Only thing is we want them all to play rugby , hurling and football. And we want golds at Olympics - we are mad the Irish.

I want them to play golf :P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Only thing is we want them all to play rugby , hurling and football. And we want golds at Olympics - we are mad the Irish.

I want them to play golf :P

I don't buy this argument, Iceland have qualified for the playoffs with a population of 300,000 and prob a playing population of somewhere in the region of 100,000. It is estimated in Ireland that we have 500,000 people playing football(soccer) so the depth is there, its how we nurture it in this country is the problem!

I think Robbie Brady could be the new Damien Duff, he is on fire for Hull at the moment.

The new manager is looking more and more likely to be Mick McCarthy and not Martin O Neill as previously suggested based on comments from Liam Brady and Richie Dunne over the past couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,168 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

ssbob wrote: »
    I don't buy this argument, Iceland have qualified for the playoffs with a population of 300,000 and prob a playing population of somewhere in the region of 100,000. It is estimated in Ireland that we have 500,000 people playing football(soccer) so the depth is there, its how we nurture it in this country is the problem!

And Greece won the Euros a while back... :rolleyes::D

Anyone with that argument normally throws the Greeks in there too.

Let Ireland always be the exception.

• Advertisement

I think Robbie Brady could be the new Damien Duff, he is on fire for Hull at the moment.

The new manager is looking more and more likely to be Mick McCarthy and not Martin O Neill as previously suggested based on comments from Liam Brady and Richie Dunne over the past couple of days.

If Robbie Brady was the new Duff. He wouldnt be with Hull or wont be long.

I stuck Mick up here early days. Hope he gets it over Oneil.

I don't think it matters how many players you have if the stucture is wrong. Even England have had problems over last 20 years.

Looks like FAI are trying to introduce a youth structure.
    But we are talking about it here for 20 years.

I stuck Mick up here early days. Hope he gets it over Oneil.

I don't think it matters how many players you have if the stucture is wrong. Even England have had problems over last 20 years.

Looks like FAI are trying to introduce a youth structure.
    But we are talking about it here for 20 years.

ajcurry123 wrote: »
    And Greece won the Euros a while back... :rolleyes::D

Anyone with that argument normally throws the Greeks in there too.

Let Ireland always be the exception.

Ah thats not what I am saying, there is a possibility with the numbers we have to create better structures, aswell as that I think the first team manager needs to have a team of scouts working for him throughout all age levels and keeping eyes on promising players.

Now this is nonsense, Robbie Brady is 21 years old learning his trade playing for a team currently sitting 7th in the Premiership, in fact his career is mirroring Damien Duffs as when Duff was his age he helped Blackburn get back to the Premiership!

If he keeps playing the way he is, I wouldn't be surprised if any of the big guns came in for him, surprised Utd let him go to be honest.

@ssbob

Ok I'll watch that spot - but Big call to say he is next Duff.

Great if a big gun moves in and gets him - Duff went for 17 million sterling at 24 (unreal amount of money in 2003) to Chelsea.

But if he is the next big thing - I'd expect him starting in a poor Irish team very soon (next coach) - At that age - Duff was starting in one of the best ever Irish teams we had - he went to a world cup at 23. Was fantastic in a World Cup.

He was selected in the team that finished 2nd in 2003-2004 Premier League. Who do Ireland have anywhere near that level. Even in top 6 teams.

He had plenty of injuries sadly.

So fine talent young Brady by the looks. - but I think we forget that we are not looking at a standard from top 4 , even top 6 in premier league. For all the Irish players these days.

I can't wait for the next big Irish thing. I'm looking.

Maybe
    Coleman (Yes)
    McCarthy (Yes)
    No Striker at all
    No top class midfielder at all (as in top 3- 4 teams)

But, you know normally by 21 - 22 , if someone is it. There is no doubt. Hopefully young Brady is it.

But if he is the next big thing - I'd expect him starting in a poor Irish team very soon (next coach) - At that age - Duff was starting in one of the best ever Irish teams we had - he went to a world cup at 23. Was fantastic in a World Cup.

IMO Brady would have started both games (Ger and Kaz) had he not being having his hernia operation. He is part of the future of Irish football. Pity the world won't get to see him on show next year in Brazil!

• Advertisement

Brady hasn't shown anything yet to deserve that hype lads.

He's decent but lacking pace which is going to hamper him big time as he gets older. Bigger teams won't go near a winger these days who is like a greyhound when they open the legs up.

Brady hasn't shown anything yet to deserve that hype lads.

He's decent but lacking pace which is going to hamper him big time as he gets older. Bigger teams won't go near a winger these days who is like a greyhound when they open the legs up.

He is Hull's main man this season as far as I can see. To be honest I think he will be more of a drifter than a winger and could end up in a "Messi-type" role although I am not suggesting he will ever be in that league.

Lets hope he doesn't turn out like MaClean who burst onto the scene and now is doing nothing!

He is Hull's main man this season as far as I can see. To be honest I think he will be more of a drifter than a winger and could end up in a "Messi-type" role although I am not suggesting he will ever be in that league.

Lets hope he doesn't turn out like MaClean who burst onto the scene and now is doing nothing!

That's harsh on mcClean. Same with McCarthy these days with the hype. We are like the English now over hyping every young player before they have proven anything.

That's harsh on mcClean. Same with McCarthy these days with the hype. We are like the English now over hyping every young player before they have proven anything.

Not trying to over-hype but people keep suggesting we have no talent, I think we have a solid number of young players coming through who are more than capable of assembling a competitive first team under a decent manager.

I personally think Coleman is too suspect to be at right back, but he has the promise to grow into a good player for Ireland.

Not trying to over-hype but people keep suggesting we have no talent, I think we have a solid number of young players coming through who are more than capable of assembling a competitive first team under a decent manager.

I personally think Coleman is too suspect to be at right back, but he has the promise to grow into a good player for Ireland.

Coleman just has the odd brain fart alright. Like the kazak goal the other nigh, what was with his fresh air clearance attempt. Shocking defending.

He's still one of out best attacking threats even at right full which is sad.

Coleman just has the odd brain fart alright. Like the kazak goal the other nigh, what was with his fresh air clearance attempt. Shocking defending.

He's still one of out best attacking threats even at right full which is sad.

I had initially typed that I thought they should play him at Right mid and leave Stephen Kelly play right full or John O Shea even with St. Ledger in Central Defence, would be a better balance as Coleman can help with the defending aswell as getting down the wide channells.

I had initially typed that I thought they should play him at Right mid and leave Stephen Kelly play right full or John O Shea even with St. Ledger in Central Defence, would be a better balance as Coleman can help with the defending aswell as getting down the wide channells.

Yeah he's defo not an out an out full back BUT I think if he improve his defensive game to be as strong as the Ashley Coles etc of the league he will end up at a top side playing that modern day full back attacking threat role.

Lads - I wouldn't be one to say we don't have enough talent - but I would say we don't have that one world class player we have always had.

We had enough to finish second in that group - no doubt there. But, would have been a big ask when you look at teams in playoffs.

Lads - I wouldn't be one to say we don't have enough talent - but I would say we don't have that one world class player we have always had.

Agreed:D

Agreed:D

the only problem is , it could be 3 or 4 world class players :D

At what stage is that not enough talent. :P

• Advertisement

Very impressed with Southampton today - pressed high up the field all day in Old Trafford.

Well deserved point.

Should have won it IMO.

Maybe Liverpool's loss to them not looking as bad now. Best passing I've seen outside the teams you would expect to see do that.

Very impressed with Southampton today - pressed high up the field all day in Old Trafford.

Well deserved point.

Should have won it IMO.

Maybe Liverpool's loss to them not looking as bad now. Best passing I've seen outside the teams you would expect to see do that.

I don't think liverpools loss to them even looked bad when it happened let alone today.

That was only the third goal they have conceded this season so far. They are quality and I backed them at the start of the season to get a European place

I don't think liverpools loss to them even looked bad when it happened let alone today.

That was only the third goal they have conceded this season so far. They are quality and I backed them at the start of the season to get a European place

Good call - but they are useless up front.

The number of chance they create is unreal.

If they could buy a good forward - they would be up there. But - can't see them top 4 - with only 8 goals in 8 games.

but they are top 4 (lol)

Good call - but they are useless up front.

The number of chance they create is unreal.

If they could buy a good forward - they would be up there. But - can't see them top 4 - with only 8 goals in 8 games.

but they are top 4 (lol)

Oh you misunderstood me. No way will they be top 4 I mean Europa spots when I say European football.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,826 ✭✭✭alxmorgan

Ah David Moyes...karma really is a bitch

Just a few short weeks ago there you were saying how you wouldn't have stood in the way of your Everton players achieving more in their careers. And now look at you.

Although in way I suppose you are true to your word. You left Everton and joined Man U and now all your former Everton players find themselves 4 points ahead of Utd. You are doing your best for them :pac:

alxmorgan wrote: »
    Ah David Moyes...karma really is a bitch

Just a few short weeks ago there you were saying how you wouldn't have stood in the way of your Everton players achieving more in their careers. And now look at you.

Although in way I suppose you are true to your word. You left Everton and joined Man U and now all your former Everton players find themselves 4 points ahead of Utd. You are doing your best for them :pac:

aAYgeY0_460sa.gif

So what do we think of Martin O'Neill taking the Ireland job with Roy Keane as his assistant???

Personally I'd be very happy with it.

So what do we think of Martin O'Neill taking the Ireland job with Roy Keane as his assistant???

Personally I'd be very happy with it.

No should be one or other - two many big personalities in the room. Only FAI could make that up (My first reaction)
    How on earth could Roy be a number 2 to anybody ?

No should be one or other - two many big personalities in the room. Only FAI could make that up (My first reaction)
    How on earth could Roy be a number 2 to anybody ?

It will be interesting if it happens that's for sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

It will be interesting if it happens that's for sure.

If it's interesting they were after, should have gone for mick McCarthy in with Roy #2.

Advertisement