Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off topic golf thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,911 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Jimdagym wrote: »
    If it's interesting they were after, should have gone for mick McCarthy in with Roy #2.

With Tom Humphries as number 3 :o:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 5,884 ✭✭✭Russman

off topic thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Good for the FAI coffers and a very realistic chance that we will qualify for the Euro's so a bit of stability hopefully!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Martin and Roy already bringing professionalism back to the FAI

JaQOg5W.jpg

This is the man who has taken a job from FAI and they have given him a job.

• Advertisement

To be fair fixy the FAI haven't directly given him a job.

MON was given the job and he makes the choice of who his staff is. The FAI could not tell him Keane wasn't welcome as they would be cutting their nose off despite their face. MON obviously has a very specific role in mind for keane(I've no idea what myself) so I hope it works out.
    I'm stunned Keane has taken the role as a no2 and of all places under the employment of john Delaney. It screams of desperation to get back into management after such a long time out of the game with no job offers.
    He does be grinding his teeth dealing with those plebs on the itv panel every week.

I've no doubt we will qualify for the euros. 24 teams out of the 50 qualify and you can already cancel 2 teams per group as whipping boys so let's all get out rubber hammers out again and get aboard the bandwagon :)

ForeRight wrote: »
    To be fair fixy the FAI haven't directly given him a job.

I think this line is spin - before the spin starts. There is no doubt he is working for Delaney - anyway will bring Delaney back into the spotlight - that is a good thing.

I think this line is spin - before the spin starts. There is no doubt he is working for Delaney - anyway will bring Delaney back into the spotlight - that is a good thing.

No way could they FAI tell Martin o Neill who his number 2 is... No chance fixy.

It's MON decision as he has a very good relationship with Keane.

I think it's going to work though. 2 Irish men, passionate men who are very professional.

If nothing else the team will go out onto the pitch with the Keane mentality that they can beat any team. Hopefully they will have an average bunch of players punching well above their weight. Hopefully!

Also already it has a buzz back for the international scene and will fill the aviva for a change.

No way could they FAI tell Martin o Neill who his number 2 is... No chance fixy.

It's MON decision as he has a very good relationship with Keane.

I think it's going to work though. 2 Irish men, passionate men who are very professional.

If nothing else the team will go out onto the pitch with the Keane mentality that they can beat any team. Hopefully they will have an average bunch of players punching well above their weight. Hopefully!

Also already it has a buzz back for the international scene and will fill the aviva for a change.

Yes - but he had to get their approval - they are paying the wage ?

I'm just making the point they are trying to distance themselves from the appointment - I'd say it is still 50 / 50 on people who ever want Keane anywhere near an Irish team.

Martin biggest job to start will be to manage Roy. How do I keep Roy away from media - and not cause conflict.

I'm just making the point they are trying to distance themselves from the appointment - I'd say it is still 50 / 50 on people who ever want Keane anywhere near an Irish team.

Martin biggest job to start will be to manage Roy. How do I keep Roy away from media - and not cause conflict.

Once the FAI wanted MON as their first target they pretty much have to take whoever he wants.

Look at MUFC this season. Moyes just let all of fergies staff go practically. The staff that could have kept some stability and who were used to success and training for it. United wanted moyes so they have to trust everything he does.

It's the same for MON with us.

I actually despise Keane as a person. He's a bully and a psycho and is not a good manager.

However this is a different role and may very well be exactly the role for him.
    I'm very optimistic.

With regard to managing Keane. I don't know him as MON does but maybe his couple of managerial failures and his long spell out has thought him something and he is not going to be as explosive as he once was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,229 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

He is probably getting paid directly from Denny :)

Am not really buying the enthusiasm surrounding MON, The more I think about it, the more I think his management style is outdated.

They should have waited till Chris H gets the chop.

Took me ages to spot the spelling mistake on that medal Foreright

PARlance wrote: »
    He is probably getting paid directly from Denny :)

Am not really buying the enthusiasm, The more I think about it, the more I think his management style is outdated.

They should have waited till Chris H gets the chop

The more I think about it the less I think Houghton will work and the more I think MON and Keane will.

Houghton is a coach, hands on training ground man. Working daily with players.

If we have learned nothing else about Keane and MON it's that they get quick results. When they start at clubs they get immediate response. That's the critical thing for me.

At international level football it's the most important thing when you only see the players for a few days a handful of times a year. You can't really coach them in that space so need to get the best out of them and these lads are motivators if nothing else.

Again I'll say I'm trying to be optimistic. I've been nothing but pessimistic for best part of 3 years now regarding Ireland.

The more I think about it the less I think Houghton will work and the more I think MON and Keane will.

Houghton is a coach, hands on training ground man. Working daily with players.

If we have learned nothing else about Keane and MON it's that they get quick results. When they start at clubs they get immediate response. That's the critical thing for me.

At international level football it's the most important thing when you only see the players for a few days a handful of times a year. You can't really coach them in that space so need to get the best out of them and these lads are motivators if nothing else.

Again I'll say I'm trying to be optimistic. I've been nothing but pessimistic for best part of 3 years now regarding Ireland.

Fair point, my pessimism lifted slightly while reading that.

I just don't think there has ever been a problem with Irish players giving it all on the pitch. We always get effort from them.
    My fear is that international football has moved on, the English prem has moved on less than that tactical but MON was still found wanting in that.

I hope I'm wrong.

Fair point, my pessimism lifted slightly while reading that.

I just don't think there has ever been a problem with Irish players giving it all on the pitch. We always get effort from them.
    My fear is that international football has moved on, the English prem has moved on less than that tactical but MON was still found wanting in that.

I hope I'm wrong.

We did get effort from the lads but that effort was coming from the likes of Doyle, cox and other strikers playing out of position. It was effort without any real effect.

I know one man in the current squad very well. A senior player and he has told me they hadn't a clue what trap wanted them to do!!!!!

At least that's gonna change.

Anybody hear gift grub this morning?

Pretty accurate description of how the MON/Keane appointment happened :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

This can only be a good thing, the fact that we would be short odds to wualify for the Euro's will also give MON some time to bed in with Ireland and hopefully have all the fans onside.

As for Roy, if MON felt it was going to be an issue, he would never even think about bringing Roy in.

Roy brings the "We can beat anyone" attitude, thats what was there in 2002 World Cup even if he had went home!

What this due also brings is a base in the UK so I can guarantee they will be scouring the Premiership/Championship & Scottish Prem for Irish eligible players and also watching the players who are on form. This did not happen in the last regime!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Appointment confirmed there now! Let the fun begin!

Here come the good times lads

http://youtu.be/zdnZgmwA9h4

Oh my god john Delaney just said it's been 13 years since Saipan in 2002 hahahaha

He is some joker!!!

Anyone having trouble with seeing Boards PM's on their phone lads?
    They are showing up as blank replies on my phone but when I logged into my PM's on the laptop I could see that there was text there.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,214 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

nope, having no problems here.

Have to say looking at Roy in cringe ITV interview - he was very humble.

i think the Irish Job is a chance for Roy to change - and grow.

Have to say looking at Roy in cringe ITV interview - he was very humble.

i think the Irish Job is a chance for Roy to change - and grow.

This is what I said too. I have a feeling he has matured as a managers and realises he can't expect players to be what he was. He was an enigma.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,000 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

And here's the day in full for Batkid

Amazing stuff
    Obama involved at the end too

http://gawker.com/san-francisco-turns-into-gotham-to-honor-young-cancer-p-1465206037

Some finish to the Sweden - Port game.
    Sweden went 1-0 down. 2-0 on agg.
    They got 2 goals in 5 mins for 2-2.

Bugger, Ronaldo scored as I was typing. 3-2

And a hatrick for Ronnie now. 2-3 on the night.
    Portugal through.

It's a privilege to be alive and watching Ronaldo and messi live every week.

• Advertisement

And a hatrick for Ronnie now. 2-3 on the night.
    Portugal through.

Lads make sure you watch the match highlights - It was unreal stuff from Ronaldo.

I'll be honest - I would not have fancied Ireland face him tonight. his pace and control.

In fairness the passes to him were top quality - he could have had 5 or 6.

Advertisement