Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off topic golf thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,531 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Lads make sure you watch the match highlights - It was unreal stuff from Ronaldo.

I'll be honest - I would not have fancied Ireland face him tonight. his pace and control.

In fairness the passes to him were top quality - he could have had 5 or 6.

Yeah, but he didn't have to do it against the might of Sean St Leger so he had it easy really

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

In Ronaldo and messi are we witnessing the 2 best players to ever play the game?

In my time the best I've seen has been fat Ronaldo and zidane.

Skinny Ronaldo and messi are light years ahead of these lads already though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

ForeRight wrote: »
    In Ronaldo and messi are we witnessing the 2 best players to ever play the game?

In my time the best I've seen has been fat Ronaldo and zidane.

Skinny Ronaldo and messi are light years ahead of these lads already though!

I think "fat" Ronaldo was in a league of his own tbh and played more as a 9 than the 10 that both Messi and Cristiano play so they are not comparable!

Messi/Pele/Cristiano Ronaldo have all said that "Fat" Ronaldo is the greatest to have ever played the game.

But its very hard to compare generations, lets just enjoy Messi and Ronaldo for what they are, don't think either of them will be lifting the trophy in Rio next year though!

Neither will be you are right. Unfortunately for them at international level they just don't have top quality around them in abundance.

Fat Ronaldo won the world cup in 2002 on his own!!!!!!
    My favorite ever player!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

Is amazing for what is the World Cup - how a few individuals have had such an incredible influence on the finals. You have seen average to good teams win - by the influence of one or two players in a team.

Obviously The Spanish win was a bit different , in that it was an all round exceptional team , playing a new style of football.

So there is no doubt individualism has had success at top level football.

Again - the other night was great - Was just about Ronaldo and Ibrahimovic -

It was funny when Ronaldo scores - he doesn't move everybody has to come over to him. I've seen at Madrid - real Spanish , some don't go over to him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,170 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Is amazing for what is the World Cup - how a few individuals have had such an incredible influence on the finals. You have seen average to good teams win - by the influence of one or two players in a team.

Obviously The Spanish win was a bit different , in that it was an all round exceptional team , playing a new style of football.

So there is no doubt individualism has had success at top level football.

Again - the other night was great - Was just about Ronaldo and Ibrahimovic -

It was funny when Ronaldo scores - he doesn't move everybody has to come over to him. I've seen at Madrid - real Spanish , some don't go over to him.

Still a poor imitation of this guy and this celebration

Yes Cantona had his moments.

Hard to watch him in the context of the best players ever :)

Watching old matches here on Setanta (UTD v Pool)- at the time (92/93) you were thinking these are great players - but Jesus - it is a new game now. The fitness levels and speed.

Some of the players are average at best and a bit chunky - Jan Molby (lol) , players like Don Hutchinson, Jamie Redknap, Ronnie Rosenthal.

The football is awful even from a much hearlded united. It is all heart and kicking each other and lob it into the box.

Jaysus that was an awful Liverpool team lol (ended 2-2) - taken 20 years for the club to get anywhere near getting over that team. (Souness time)

I've a feeling Ronaldo will become better than messi.

I've always rated messi higher but I can't see him having the lenght of career Ronaldo will have.

Messi starting to pick up injuries now too whereas Ronaldo is just a machine. If you were to design a footballer in a lab it's Ronaldo.

The heights he is reaching now is another level to what him and messi have been producing for years.

To appreciate what Ronaldo is doing think about this stat:

Ronaldo has scored 27 more goals than Spurs in 2013!!!!!

That's just silly!

Thats sad eh :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

cool , i have the same physique as a famous footballer!!!

*Dusts off all ireland medals...ok, community games medals*

Right folks...the GAA needs you!

http://thescore.thejournal.ie/gaa-rounders-strategy-1184875-Nov2013/

Not many know it's an offical GAA game, we could probably piggy back on it being the first form of baseball...
    Forget tennis racket and tennis ball, it's played with a sliotar and a bat.
    Apart from the pitcher/bowler throwing it underarm in rounders as opposed to overarm in baseball...they are pretty much the same game.

Many a summer was spent playing it.... it was our fall back for getting to Mosney each year :p

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Fat Ronaldo ain't so fat anymore...sorry Charlie :pac:

4fa6ac5bfcea0c52c29d91a924c785e5_zpsf1fcbd59.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

fair play to him

What a legend!!!!!

Bit in a few months he will be a big blob again but who cares. He's retired and enjoying life.

^^^^^^WTF^^^^^^^^^^^^

ssbob wrote: »
    ^^^^^^WTF^^^^^^^^^^^^

Dramatic reconstructions from the intellectual corner that is the Youtube comment section... I got a laugh form it :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Just had a power cut here at work (Early ESB Christmas present??!!) and have lost an hours work. Damm autosave didn't work. GRrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭Dr.Rieux

Has anyone here played footgolf? I played in a competition on Friday and it's a good bit of fun

• Advertisement

He's lost a bit of weight since that: makes an new appearance in Nike's latest ad. Hopefully it's enough "off topic" to be on here

IT'S HERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

http://youtu.be/MwQ6HIQV0YQ

Nelson mandalas memorial!!!!!

This is quite simply one of the most disgraceful stories I've read this year. How could this happen????

I just can't get my head around it.

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/africa/man-doing-sign-language-at-mandela-s-memorial-service-was-a-fake-1.1624262

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭Neil Andblomee

This is quite simply one of the most disgraceful stories I've read this year. How could this happen????

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/world/africa/man-doing-sign-language-at-mandela-s-memorial-service-was-a-fake-1.1624262
    That's hill arious, it's got to be the funniest thing that has ever happened ever!.

ForeRight - I laughed when I heard it on Radio.

Like a comedy sketch - from listening to radio reports - the whole thing was a mess. They didn't say that - but the undertones were there.

I think sometimes we try apply our own ideas onto how things in Africa work. But, I guess it is so culturally different. It is impossible to understand without being there

Now I know that your man is just a chancer - but did he not think anybody would notice - sorry I'm laughing here writing that.

When I heard it first I just assumed it was some sort of wind up but now I realise it actually did happen lol

He looks like he is doing the Macarena at one stage!!!!!

I didn't find it funny at all, there are some things that you don't mess around with.
    To be fair, I only watched 2 seconds of it and I switched it off.
    What was he playing at, there'll be some backlash against him.

At the same time it did remind me of this, which is quality :D

PARlance - it is not the fact that it is a deaf issue.

It is just the idea of your man trying to pull it off. Mad stuff.

• Advertisement

PARlance - it is not the fact that it is a deaf issue.

It is just the idea of your man trying to pull it off. Mad stuff.

Ah ya, I'm not that touchy Fix :)

I just can't past the why would he even want to pull it off to see the funny side if you get me.

Advertisement