Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off topic golf thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,973 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

It cost me close to €350 this morning to fill my car up with fuel

i put petrol in it..... it's Diesel! :eek: :mad: :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 20,888 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

stevieob wrote: »
    It cost me close to €350 this morning to fill my car up with fuel

i put petrol in it..... it's Diesel! :eek: :mad: :rolleyes:

Absolutely insane - that the car industry / fuel industry have not designed this out. So easy to do. And so easy to prevent.

Absolutely insane - that the car industry / fuel industry have not designed this out. So easy to do. And so easy to prevent.

its my first diesel, bought it over 4 years ago and knew this day would come some time or another!!!

took yer man 5 mnins to drain the tank, €227.... daylight robbery but they got you by the short and curleys

i was lucky i copped on as i was pumping so didn't even put the key in the ignition.... otherwise it could have been curtains!!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

a lesson leant once and once only stevieob!!

I can't give out, I done the same myself a few years ago after switching from a petrol car to diesel but fortunately my brother is a mechanic and he pumped it out for me.

A diesel car / van will run on a certain amount of petrol if there is enough diesel put in it. Have seen mechanics put a few euro of petrol and rest diesel in a car prior to the NCT, "aparently" it helps reduce emissions for the test!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,564 ✭✭✭kiers47

charlieIRL wrote: »
    a lesson leant once and once only stevieob!!

I can't give out, I done the same myself a few years ago after switching from a petrol car to diesel but fortunately my brother is a mechanic and he pumped it out for me.

A diesel car / van will run on a certain amount of petrol if there is enough diesel put in it. Have seen mechanics put a few euro of petrol and rest diesel in a car prior to the NCT, "aparently" it helps reduce emissions for the test!!!

They will run alright but if possible it is best that they are pumped in more modern cars as the pumps operate at much higher pressures and are more likely to give you grief than a car older than 10years. Diesel is self lubricating so if to much petrol is present you will start to get some corrosion in the fuel system such as the pump due to metal on metal friction. Also could possibly damage some seals as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,161 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

kiers47 wrote: »
    They will run alright but if possible it is best that they are pumped in more modern cars as the pumps operate at much higher pressures and are more likely to give you grief than a car younger than 10years. Diesel is self lubricating so if to much petrol is present you will start to get some corrosion in the fuel system such as the pump due to metal on metal friction. Also could possibly damage some seals as well.

Yeah petrol can eat the seals on newer diesels.

I'm picking up my first diesel on Saturday...hopefully I wont repeat your mistake Stevie!

Yea I had spoken to a few guys in the trade and the general consensus was as I had put €20 into her, topping it up with Diesel would not really give it enough of a mix. €5-10 ish wouldn't have been so bad.

It would run, but could possibly cause trouble. If it was an aul banger or didn't belong to me, top it up with diesel and bang away was what I was told. As it's reasonably new and great nic, I opted not to risk it.

If it happens again, I will try a length of garden hose and do my best to siphon off as much as I can.... cause charging the rates that were asked is just taking the piss for what they actually had to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

Yea I had spoken to a few guys in the trade and the general consensus was as I had put €20 into her, topping it up with Diesel would not really give it enough of a mix. €5-10 ish wouldn't have been so bad.

It would run, but could possibly cause trouble. If it was an aul banger or didn't belong to me, top it up with diesel and bang away was what I was told. As it's reasonably new and great nic, I opted not to risk it.

If it happens again, I will try a length of garden hose and do my best to siphon off as much as I can.... cause charging the rates that were asked is just taking the piss for what they actually had to do.

Was there a call out or a tow involved by any chance?

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Dayor Knight

You could try one of those syphon thingies that you squeeze - don't drink the petrol anyway, that could be way more costly! Seriously, I feel your pain.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Did us get a taxi home stevieob?!!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,172 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

If anyone wants to see a good sports doc check out "junior".
    Should be repeated on Setanta.

World youth boxing champ and a family life that is incredibly difficult.
    It'll get ya.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Sorry to hear about this, very easy to put petrol in a diesel!! Not the other way around as the pump nozel is bigger for diesels, siphon with a garden house is not that easy to do without getting a lot of petrol in your mouth which isn't good!! Speaking from expierience!!!

dar_cool wrote: »
    Sorry to hear about this, very easy to put petrol in a diesel!! Not the other way around as the pump nozel is bigger for diesels, siphon with a garden house is not that easy to do without getting a lot of petrol in your mouth which isn't good!! Speaking from expierience!!!

Sucking diesel.

Great world cup - Great teams not great.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭scrubber72

Penos plz.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

Costa Rica only has one city with a population larger than the attendance of this game

ForeRight wrote: »
    Costa Rica only has one city with a population larger than the attendance of this game

All for minos

But they don't make world cup finals.

Holland score please.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭ForeRight

All for minos

But they don't make world cup finals.

Holland score please.

I hope holland score.

I want German, Dutch, argies and Brazil semi!

ForeRight wrote: »
    I hope holland score.

I want German, Dutch, argies and Brazil semi!

yes underdogs are great and all that.

But they have a point , up to a point.

No minos make W/C finals.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Navas to save few penos, he's lethal, good sub for Holland with Tim krul

• Advertisement

What a manager.....

PARlance wrote: »
    What a manager.....

lucky.

lucky.

Tactical genius.

Tactical genius.

History is written by the victors.

• Registered Users Posts: 262 ✭✭LinksLad

Tactical genius.
    Absolutely!

He's the new David Moyes, after all!:rolleyes:

ssbob wrote: »
    Was there a call out or a tow involved by any chance?

call out. i didn't move the car at all.

in fairness they came to the garage within about 45 minutes.

call out. i didn't move the car at all.

in fairness they came to the garage within about 45 minutes.

This was where your cost was, call outs can be €100 and then prob €127 to actually fix the problem!

• Registered Users Posts: 679 ✭✭✭Tweaky

In fairness to Ford they have come up with something to prevent you putting Petrol in a Diesel car. They have a safety flap in the pipe that will only open if you insert the wider diesel nozzle. Stays locked if you put in the petrol nozzle.

If only other manufacturers would follow suit.

Tweaky wrote: »
    If only other manufacturers would follow suit.

If everything becomes standardised we'd all be driving the same cars;)

• Advertisement

anyone watch that ufc fight the other night with the irish guy conor mcgregor?

fairly brutal stuff

Advertisement