Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off topic golf thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,375 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Just on the mother driving him there, apparently that's not even true. He drove himself as was evidenced in court. Also apparently was asked to guard a business premises by its owner.

And you're quite correct. It's become a rallying point for both sides of the political divide in the US with ramped up outrage and fact free hot takes.

For me, it epitomises gun culture in the US and the mess that is individual state laws. The chap could still be facing federal charges and possibly civil suits as well. The circus is far from over.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

I really urge people to watch Shane Gillis special on Netflix. I think it sums it up perfectly

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭spuddy4711

Deciding on Christmas lights for the 4’ Norway Spruce outside the clubhouse.

We don’t need it visible from ISS, but bright enough to lift the spirits, the optimistic heading out, the dejected returning.

Lights come in sets of 500, 1000, or the jumbo set of 2000.

Anyone done a cost/benefit analysis of this ?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,926 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

I’d buy the biggest set.

we got a set for our tree years ago. I wanted a longer set with more lights but missus said no.

the following year we had to get a second set. 😩 I thought let’s just buy a good quality really long set as it’s much easier to just deal with one set and the original set would actually be good somewhere else. Of course was shot down.

Regret not putting my foot down cause of course I have to deal with them every year and much easier and looks way better if it was just one set/ style cause you can spot the difference between the 2 sets

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭bobster453

4ft Tree, 500 lights approx 1.5cm between bulbs equals about 650cm of lighting, multiply for 1000 bulbs 1300cm and 2000 bulbs 2600 cm of lighting.

Norway Spruce tree at that height is approx. 3 ft wide at base tapering to the top. To ensure coverage of 8-12sq.ft personally I would opt for the 2000 bulbs, you can always wound them back on each other if too many.

As Seve said, better to have them and not need them than need them and not have them, or summat like that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭spuddy4711

Jumbo set it is, thanks, am arranging an Influencer for the switching on ceremony.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,209 ✭✭✭qwabercd

Didn't really want to start a new thread but mods feel free to move if not off topic enough..

Currently living in Donnybrook and myself and a friend (both 31/32) are looking at getting membership in the new year somewhere. Somewhere close by is a priority although most in the immediate vicinity are quite dear. Currently looking at lisheen springs which I've played a few times and enjoyed, fees seem very reasonable also. Any other alternatives along similar lines that anyone would recommend? Thanks.

Ballinascorney for €860

Beech Park for about €1200

Slade Valley for €960

Carrickmines for €1150

A few options there.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

No need for a new thread for this but, does anybody know where I'd get a key for a srixon driver?

Recently bought a second hand driver. No key with it.

I've checked McGuirks, Halpenny etc but they don't stock them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭coillcam

Your local pro shop/range should have plenty of spares. They'll probably throw you one for free if you ask nicely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭blue note

Has Covid chat been banned in this thread? I'm seriously pissed off with the thing now! My sister tested positive on 27th with an antigen. She went for the PCR and I've gotten the text now to say that I'm a close contact. Following the link I'm to restrict my movements for 10 days from today. That would be all the way up to and including 9th January. When we heard of the positive antigen test we drove home and didn't go to see my wifes parents. 78 years waiting for a Christmas with a grandchild and that was cancelled. And my friend flew home from Australia. I had to cancel meeting up with him. I guess I'll just see him in another couple of years. Currently I'm trying to rearrange work for month end because I won't be able to go into the office. And I spent €1,200 on new irons which I was meant to be bringing out for a second round today, on Portmarnock links for an extra treat. They're now in my garage. I'll hopefully get to use them on the 9th. I know I'm still supposed to be restricting my movements that day, but going from when I last had actual contact with my sister that would be day 15. I'll follow the official guidance for work, but I'm not waiting another week to try those clubs!

Meanwhile my wife had to get stiches out. A job that could easily have waited. She rang the hospital to tell them that she was a close contact of someone who had a positive antigen test. They told her it didn't count because it wasn't a PCR so she should come in unless she fails an antigen test. And we've no symptoms. Which I think, coupled with the fact that we're not boosted makes us the group that has to restrict our movements for the longest period. For those boosted, it's 5 days. For those who have symptoms you can get the PCR and I think it's 5 days from there. They are apparently revising the restrictions and reducing the times. I haven't heard anything about non-boosted asymptomatic people though. If we had symptoms or tested positive we'd be better off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,633 ✭✭✭coillcam

I know it's a massive ball-ache but I'm quite hopeful that the worst of this is going to be past us in a couple of months. There's mass proliferation of vaccines and indeed boosters now, meanwhile it looks like a large slice of the population is after contracting covid recently or soon will. Hopefully, omicron is less dangerous by nature and the fact we're so well vaccinated/boosted is even better. I've lots of anecdotes from my circle that it's been a relatively mild experience compared to people who were infected earlier in the year. It's a small sample of people tbf.

I'm currently sitting in "my half" of the house as herself is positive with mild symptoms. I've had 4 days of negatives (antigen and PCR). The guidelines are a bit messy and confusing but it's good that they're being revised. Funny now that Antigen tests are finally being leaned on officially, they should have been a looooong way back. Herself got a positive very early on with the antigen and it actually gave great peace of mind as the PCR only came back on the 4th day of infection (tested on 3rd day, yes I know the demand is huge obviously). My granny passed away the week before Xmas and we were lucky to all be okay for the funeral (and afterwards). I took several antigen tests through that week and was waiting for a text or call tbh but I ended up grand.

Tomorrow I was meant to be in Carton House and will miss that also. I wouldn't mind but I was in the best form ever over the last few weeks before this unforced break. Thankfully it looks like golf isn't going to get binned any time soon and I'm looking forward to getting back out there soon enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,532 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Looking to treat my Dad to a game somewhere nice over the next few weeks.

Can I assume that for the €65 price that Doonbeg are quoting that you're either playing off mats for every shot or some other caveat?

Thank you!

The Antigen tests have quite a high false negative percentage iirc. False positive rate is a lot lower, so if in doubt, test regularly if you think you're at risk and are getting negative antigen tests.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭bobster453

Hi All,

Having been forced through injury to lay off the golf for the past few years I finally took the plunge and joined Cahir Park this year.€450 for returning to golf then 500 and odd next year and the full 750 the year after.

Currently just passing about 2 hours two/three times a week practising chipping with gap, sand and loft wedge, bit of putting and then 50 balls on driving range.

They have a fantastic new putting green that should be ready for about April.

Waiting on my GUI card, I didnt need 3 games for handicap as I am still on system apparently, and had a look at the the Golf Ireland app which I havent a clue about.

How does that work?..are your scores uploaded by the club and that populates the app or do you have to do something yourself?

Anyhow, onwards and upwards hopefully.

Welcome to Cahir - If you're ever wanting a game let me know.

For Golf Ireland - For any competitions that you enter, everything will happen automatically for you on the app - You don't need to do anything for a score to enter, update your handicap etc.

Only difference is now a 'casual round' can be entered. This needs to be either the Front 9, Back 9 or 18 Holes (I believe) and must be in 'counting' conditions.

For the casual round you choose on the app when at the golf course (needs to be there for GPS purposes) that you're playing a casual round off X tees. Once you submit your scores at the end, the person you played with must approve your scores on their side (you'll have chosen them as a playing partner) and those scores will go up on the app then.

Your handicap will fluctuare then depending on the amount of 'scoring' rounfs you've played - ie, Average of your Best 8 of your last 20 Rounds is the 'ideal'.

Any questions on it, feel free to message me (might be easier as a same-club-member etc)

Anyone know this? I may have to succumb to speaking to a human on the phone to get my answer! ha

• Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭CSWS101

Would imagine so, most 'premier' links are at this time of the year.

Ah ya - emailed them in the end and they responded quickly in fairness. Mats for all shots - so that takes the charm away a bit

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Hey everyone, I'm doing a study on gambling and metacognition for my final year project in TCD. There's a €10 gift card for completing the study and it should take less than an hour all in.

I'd be very grateful for anyone taking the time to participate. I'm looking for people who gamble, even gambling on your weekly fourball! The study is for a worthy cause in furthering our knowledge of metacognition and its relationship to gambling. If you're interested, just click on the following link for more information or to take part.

Many thanks for any help fellow boardsies!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,750 ✭✭✭redzerdrog

Done

Only seeing this now, but The European playing as normal a few weeks ago. Played an open there. Assume they still are.

The European might be a shout so. How does it fare up Green Fee-wise

It's quite expensive normally, but for opens (at least the one I played a few weeks ago) it was €65.

Well worth it imo. It's a stunning course and it was like playing summer golf there. Lots of bounce and run on the fairways and greens very quick. They were soft though, which is a nice combination. 😊

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Hi all, a sincere thank you to everyone who has already helped out with my study on metacognition and gambling. Metacognition is the awareness of one's own thinking and mental processes. I just need some men aged 25 and over who are not interested in gambling to finish out the study.

Just click the following link and everything is explained in the participant information sheet and consent form. It should take less than an hour to complete the study and you will receive a €10 reward card upon completion of the full task.

https://tcdecon.qualtrics.com/jfe/form/SV_0kSq8VZIutDrj1k

All the information should be covered in the link, but if you have any questions feel free to ask. This is a not for profit scientific study motivated by an interest in helping understand gambling and any possible underlying mechanisms. After the initial survey you will asked to download the Neureka app and play a gamified task which measures metacognitive efficiency.

Very grateful for any fellow boardsies taking the time to help me and our study!

Post edited by The Big Easy on

• Registered Users Posts: 15,926 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

no link there Easy

• Registered Users Posts: 12,433 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Anyone know if it's possible to just get Sky Golf instead of the whole sports package?

No interest in the other sports channels really so I don't fancy paying for them too if I dont have to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Its not unfortunately, best bet is check out the NOW TV thread in bargain alerts and sign up to one of the deals. Sports €30 for 3 months is generally available with a code, €10 a month is as cheap as you'll get Sky Sports.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,929 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Just be aware the picture quality from Now is poor

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,714 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

You can buy the HD stream for €3 extra but it only works on mobile and smart tv, if like me you use a PC its 720p max. Why HD isn't a minimum nowadays is beyond me.

Advertisement