Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off topic golf thread!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,039 ✭✭✭Theresalwaysone

Jaysus, I haven't posted on boards in years. In fact, the last time I posted on boards was 2013. I only picked up a club for the first time in 2017.

Dying for some more golf chat, and have a golf adjacent start up business too so I think I'll get back into the swing of things here.

Nice to meet ye all.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,970 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

welcome back.....looks like you've been travelling the world? home now?

Thank you! I am not, I have actually set up shop in the most golf unfriendly part of the world - Calgary, Alberta, Canada.

Actually thats not entirely true, this place is unreal for golf from May - Sept but then the tundra takes over.

Picks for The Players this weekend boys.

Harris English 80/1

Bulletproof swing, has the head for a big occasion - playing very well lately.

Cam Young 35/1

The best swing on tour, has been trending 3 out of 4 rounds excellent, one round costing him.

Adam Scott 90/1

Sneaky good around this course, another solid swing.

This is the Off topic thread, so essentially anything but golf on this thread. 😉And they’ll give out to you for discussing gambling anywhere other than the golf betting thread

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 4,500 ✭✭✭VW 1

It's alright, there's always one.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,984 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Indeed 😎

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. EDDI, hot water cylinder, roof rails...

Public Profile active ads for slave1 (adverts.ie)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I'd still rather be a Utd fan than a Spurs fan right now 😓

3 and a half years playing dodgeball and the bastard just caught me 🤒

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭bobster453

Why are members of the traveller ethnic grouping allowed to race their bloody sulkies along main roads holding up loads of traffic?

One rule for them..another for all us plebs who work for a living.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭bobster453

🐓🐓🐓🐓🐓🐓😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Robert Nairac

I haven't played golf in years. I need to buy things like a glove, tees, balls, divot tool, towel etc. Any suggestions for where to buy online?

Posting here as I don't want to start a new thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,543 ✭✭✭blue note

Any pro shop, mcguirks or halpeñny if you want to use one of the big Irish ones, I'm sure elverys or sports direct would have all that too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,608 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Decathlon also fine too. Not ‘cheap’ but their own brand stuff is priced lower than the Premium brands

• Registered Users Posts: 20,355 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Really off topic, but has anyone ever noticed how the post counts under your name and the one under your Join date are different ?

Just noticing this as I get closer to 20k

Yes

I think it has something to don with deleted posts or threads

one of the admins probably knows more

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭zocklie

If my plugs on the green, but finishes off the green, can I repair that plug mark? I thought I could but someone tried to pull me on it during the week

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

It's one of those funny ones where if it's on your line you can't repair it, but if it's not interfering you can.

So to be sure you kind of need to wait till after you play on to repair it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭paulos53

I am 100% certain that you can repair a pitch mark on the putting green, whether your ball is on the green or not.

It is a different matter if the pitch mark is off the green and in your line of play.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

Thanks Paulos, knew it was a funny one, but useful to be sure of. You can always fix any marks on the green regardless of where your ball is.

• Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭zocklie

I was also sure of this, seems to be quite clear under rule 13.1c. cheers folks!

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭S_D

Played Llutrelstown yesterday .. lovely course and great condition even at after the weekend we’ve had ! I last played that course 10 odd years ago when there was a boards match play event. That was serious crack. Presume that’s long discontinued ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭benny79

If you are referring to the Ryder Jug its still going strong!

No I don’t think that was it. It was a boards match play event (pretty sure but it was a long time ago)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,205 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

Yes the original match play events, crikey that is a long time ago now though. Was one organised for anyone interested on the forum.

Was great crack. Yeah long time ago , back in the good ole days 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 7,664 ✭✭✭54and56

Don't want to start a new thread but do want to see what the rule is in the following situation so hope this is ok here.

I hit an approach shot into a pond which is a red hazard so I took the penalty and dropped a new ball about 60 metre's back from the pond along a line from the hole to where the ball entered the pond. Hit my shot onto the green so all good but as I was walking around the pond I spotted my original ball 10 metre's to the right of the pond. Myself and my playing partners all thought it went into the pond (it was about a 160m carry) but it must have somehow hit a Lilly leaf or something and popped out sideways without us noticing.

What is the correct thing to do once I notice the presumed lost ball wasn't in fact lost? Do I continue playing the penalty ball or do I revert to playing the original ball and if the latter is there any penalty for me incorrectly taking a penalty and playing the penalty ball whilst the original ball was still alive?

• Advertisement

I thought once you didn't go past the point of where your original ball is, you'd be ok, but wasn't sure so I asked ChatGPT 🤣

In golf, if you hit your ball into a penalty area (marked by red stakes), drop a ball, and then play that ball, the dropped ball becomes the ball in play, and you must continue with it.

Here’s a step-by-step breakdown according to the Rules of Golf:

Ball in Penalty Area: If you believe your ball is in a penalty area (red stakes) and cannot be played, you can take relief under Rule 17.1d. This involves dropping a ball and incurring a one-stroke penalty.

Dropped Ball Played: Once you drop a ball and play it, the original ball is no longer in play, even if it is later found outside the penalty area.

Original Ball Found: If the original ball is found after you have played the dropped ball, you cannot switch back to the original ball. The ball you dropped and played is now the ball in play, and the original ball is considered out of play.

Thus, in your scenario, since you dropped a ball and played it onto the green, that dropped ball is the one you must continue to play. You cannot switch back to your original ball once it has been found. The original ball is no longer in play according to the rules.

Advertisement