Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

People still "parking" outside Navan PO

Options
  • 22-12-2012 3:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭

Oh this is getting on my nerves and if I had less of a conscience there'd be a few more keyed cars going around the town. With the hectic xmas traffic lately making it even worse when someone decides to block up half the road while flashing their hazard lights like some get out of jail free card.

There was a time when I could understand this crap because people missed parcel collections and they were collected from there but now they are out in mullaghboy and there are two P.Os in the town (blackcastle and johnstown S.C) with plenty of free parking all year round there is just no excuse for it as far as I can see other than ignorance. I've never liked traffic wardens particularly but if I was walking passed one writing a ticket outside that post office I'd give them a one person standing ovation.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

Been that way forever and doesn't seem to cause any real problems bar annoyance, there are bigger traffic problems on that road, the shopping centre car park exit being one.

Can't honestly comprehend why you would be tempted to commit criminal damage for the sake of driving around a car (they don't block half the road btw).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

Yeah that car park exit is terribly placed but at least there's often no alternative. Oh I wouldn't actually key them but I don't understand why other people are happy to break the law themselves and inconvenience others when it is completely avoidable. If they did get keyed they could hardly complain about people breaking the law! Even the ones that park well in still force you into the other lane and with a couple there like today you're almost into the back of them coming around the roundabout.

Been driving round that corner for the past 20 years and never had any real problem with a car parked there tbh.

It is funny that this all happens right outside the garda barracks though and if someone keyed my car for whatever reason there'd be hell to pay and I'd make sure they were prosecuted, can't see any justification in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Fuh Q

If you are not able to deal with a car or two pulled in at the side of the road maybe you should use public transport ?
    Cars stopped there dont cause that much of a problem tbh.
    I was injured earlier this week and found it very hard to stand up never mind walk, I had to go to the post office to collect my JSA and had to get my wife to stop right outside the PO. Its unfair to say its just ignorance, a lot of elderly people and people with disabilities use that post office and get dropped outside the door too.
    I think that you even mention keying of cars just shows the bad attitude you have towards motorists, maybe the problem is with you and not the parking in Navan.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Lucifer-0

Fuh Q wrote: »
    maybe you should use public transport ?

In Navan? Haha.

They're a pain in the ass.
    Its unfair to say its just ignorance, a lot of elderly people and people with disabilities use that post office and get dropped outside the door too.

Getting dropped there is fine, everyone has a right to stop anywhere in town, but there's often people just pulling onto the path (they might as well just stop on the road, half parking on the path still means you have to overtake) and turning the hazard lights on while they go into the PO and could be in there for however long, 5 minutes or so, ignorant pr!cks.

• Advertisement

Driving around a (illegally) parked car such a chore, maybe a few more driving lessons would ease your pain lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭upinthesky

Garda gave out tickets there last week just pulled up and anyone parked or just waiting there got a ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,824 ✭✭✭ShooterSF

If you are not able to deal with a car or two pulled in at the side of the road maybe you should use public transport ?

They're breaking the law and parking on the corner of a main street. Of course they're causing a problem. That's why we have rules of the road.
    I was injured earlier this week and found it very hard to stand up never mind walk, I had to go to the post office to collect my JSA and had to get my wife to stop right outside the PO. Its unfair to say its just ignorance, a lot of elderly people and people with disabilities use that post office and get dropped outside the door too.

Fair enough if you had an injury and couldn't get to social welfare to move the collection point but why would disabled or elderly not use the post office in Blackcastle with parking right outside the door for free or the one in Johnstown SC with free parking and later opening hours? Ignorance.
    I think that you even mention keying of cars just shows the bad attitude you have towards motorists, maybe the problem is with you and not the parking in Navan.

No my problem is people breaking the law and inconveniencing other people while there are perfectly reasonable legal alternatives available. The point that you seem to be angered at the notion of someone thinking they'd sometimes like to break the law but not angered at the people actually breaking the law is the problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

FIGHT! FIGHT! FIGHT!

On a side note though... people parking directly outside the PO is also a pain in the arse for me as i would have planned my ram raids of the front of the PO for weeks in advance and its just always the way that every time I go to do it there is some muppet, parked directly outside the PO door, thus blocking my way and i have to go home empty handed!

Tut tut... people today... I don't know any more. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭maco12

between the post office one side, credit union the other side..and an exit for a multi story only a few yards further down from a roundabout..who planned it all...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Its great tho where else would you get people abandoning cars on a main street double yellow lines right in-front of a garda station

The few times I went through the town, makes me wonder about the planning aspects!

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Planning in Navan. Yeah, right. Ha, ha, ha.....

The whole council set up in navan ..is/was suspect vast amounts of money from new builds yet nothing to show for it ...not one facility in johnstown for children etc ......underground carpark in the fairgreen that we are paying for via are parking tickets wont happen etc etc

yeah friends told me various stories about what car park fees etc were going to be used for..and so far we have a load of Bull..on the square in the town..and nothing else..your local politicians should hang their heads!

They park on double yellows outside their shops.

This is rightly pissing me off they still do it and its right in front of the cop shop !!! also where the pharmacy is down by the traffic lights cars just abandoned

Vego wrote: »
    This is rightly pissing me off they still do it and its right in front of the cop shop !!! also where the pharmacy is down by the traffic lights cars just abandoned

Join the club! - Two traffic wardens walking around the town (together i might add), having chats with all the locals to pass the day.

Then nailing the poor souls who are parked properly in the proper car parks for being 10 mins over there tickets. I think it is a dublin/meath thing...

If the doors in the post office were wide enough, they would drive up to the counter!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 ANMHI

Post Office should never have been located there. No parking especially for elderly collecting their pensions!!! Then queing outside in the rain on a Friday!!

There is ample parking around directly across the road for example 1 euro to park ....up a bit at donoghues electrical no fee ...a multi story car park behind with an entrance no more than 50 feet away...Abandoning a car net to a round about on double yellow infront of a police station is crazy

• Advertisement

ANMHI wrote: »
    Post Office should never have been located there. No parking especially for elderly collecting their pensions!!! Then queing outside in the rain on a Friday!!

There used to be a big car-park right beside it until the shopping centre got greedy and built a hi-rise on it.

TBH I don't ever recall an accident (or a traffic jam) there because of cars parked (illegally), I'm sure there are more important things to look after

bladespin wrote: »
    There used to be a big car-park right beside it until the shopping centre got greedy and built a hi-rise on it.

TBH I don't ever recall an accident (or a traffic jam) there because of cars parked (illegally), I'm sure there are more important things to look after

You didn't hear about the 80 year old woman being hit by a car after walking out between two stupidly parked cars back in feb, or the Toyota starlet parked there by it owner... who opened the drivers door without looking and had it duly bent backwards by a passing motorist about 5 weeks ago?

Things do go wrong when muppets park there.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Scottie99

I've been done there. Around seven in the evening I jumped out and posted a letter and then drove away. It all of 15 seconds..
    Couple of weeks later I got a fine in the post. I do remember seeing cop car passing:D

Got a fine from the garda or the council

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭Scottie99

Vego wrote: »
    Got a fine from the garda or the council
    Garda

Advertisement