Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Identify my cb400

• 22-12-2012 5:02pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭

Lads I need help identifying my cb400. Details are its a 1994 cb400 super four. I need to find out if its a nc28 nc31 or something similar :confused:Reason is i want louis.de to send me a parts list & they have asked for the exact model. Under the seat has a label with CB400F N on it. The Engine number is NC23 E - *******.

I know a few here have cb's that might know off hand. I have checked log book but it doesnt give much detail.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Its probably one of the two highlighted in the attached pic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

Its probably one of the two highlighted in the attached pic.

Any idea where this might be stamped on the bike. Ill do some googling thanks:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,498 ✭✭✭BrokenArrows

Dunno.

Try using MyWheels.ie and enter your reg number. Might give you the model exact model.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

Honda usually put a plate on the frame, in a visible spot.
    If there isn't one visible then the VIN number is usually stamped on the steering head.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    Honda usually put a plate on the frame, in a visible spot.
    If there isn't one visible then the VIN number is usually stamped on the steering head.

Thanks CJ, ill have a look tomorrow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,383 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Sounds like it could be the NC31 (aka PROJECT BIG-1 :D), a "grey" Japanese SF model made between 1992 and 1995, immediately following the CB-1 (which I have). On mine the plate is on the steering head, LH side.

There's a parts manual here — in Japanese, but the numbers are the same, obviously. You could search this for occurrences of whatever other number(s) you can find, but I tried with that engine no. you gave, and no joy.

Alternatively you could post and/or do a search on the forum that manual is linked from?

peckerhead wrote: »
    Sounds like it could be the NC31 (aka PROJECT BIG-1 :D), a "grey" Japanese SF model made between 1992 and 1995, immediately following the CB-1 (which I have). On mine the plate is on the steering head, LH side.

There's a parts manual here — in Japanese, but the numbers are the same, obviously. You could search this for occurrences of whatever other number(s) you can find, but I tried with that engine no. you gave, and no joy.

Alternatively you could post and/or do a search on the forum that manual is linked from?

Fantastic pdf there with great info. Without even looking I would say its definitely the NC31 PROJECT BIG-1.

Just my luck though, I cant seem to find it on the louis.de site
    http://www.louis.de/_306e54316a026ee6604da66705bd77671c/index.php?topic=bikedb&CONTENT=auswahl&bikedb_typ_id=CB350K&MARKEN_ID=6&GRPKZ=1&CCM=4&sort=bez

...as opposed to my small one? ;)

You might try ebay.co.uk? Most sellers are happy enough to post to Ireland if you ask first and offer to cover the extra cost... or there's always Parcel Motel, if not. I got a new clutch lever for the CB-1 recently for about €15 delivered (it's €16.99 plus €9.95 postage from louis.de).

Hope you find what you need! :)

''...as opposed to my small one?;)''

So thats why you call yourself peckerhead:p

Im not looking for anything in particular at the moment. The bike need a service so I just want to find out what type oil, fluids, filters & so on I need. I will possibly need a front mudguard or Fendor as most sites seem to call it in the future as my lovely dog chewed the nose off it.

Hey, as Bill Clinton used to say, nothing wrong with a little head... :D

For the oil filter, just do a Google search for the manufacturer name & part no. on the existing one. Dunno about the various fluids (I suspect it's much of a muchness?). But don't buy cheap engine oil (Halfords' own brand, etc.) 'cause these have a very high-revving engine and saving a tenner on the oil change is not worth the gamble.

To give you a rough idea, here are the specs/products from Louis' datasheet for the CB-1, which is probably fairly close:
    HONDA CB-1 400 F
    NC27

Year of manufacture/VIN
    Year of manufacture: 1989-1991
    VIN:
    Capacities
    Fork oil per rod: 510 CM3 SAE 15W
    Engine oil w/o filter: 2,8 L.SAE 10W-40
    Engine oil incl. filter: 3,1 LITER
    Final drive lubricant:
    Brake fluid: DOT 4
    Coolant: 1,8 LITER
    Fuel: 11,0 LITER NORMAL

Technical data
    Engine size: 399 ccm
    Cylinders: 4
    hp/kW: 56/41
    Valve clearance (intake): KALT 0,15 MM
    Valve clearance (exhaust): KALT 0,20 MM
    Engine idle speed: 1300 U/MIN
    Carburettor air screw: 1,75 AUSDREHUNGEN
    Tyre pressure (front): 2,1 (2,5) BAR
    Tyre pressure (rear): 2,5 (2,9) BAR
    Spark plug 1: NGK CR8EH-9
    Spark plug 2: ND U24FER-9
    Electrode gap: 0,9 MM
    Fork tube Ø: 41 MM
    Front and rear sprockets: 15/41 ZÄHNE
    Chain/final drive: 104 GLIEDER
    ...but you might find different in that manual, in which case go with those.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

NC23 engine was used in the CBR400RR as well, parts shouldn't be a problem for the engine.
    David Silver has a lot of grey market Honda stuff as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

IIRC my '93 CB400 was an NC29 model.

Advertisement