Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ex-teacher awarded €700,000 against HSE: is it time for cameras in classrooms?

• 22-12-2012 5:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭

By now I suspect most of you have read this story on The Irish Times about how a teacher had his career, mental health, reputation and life ruined because of false allegations of sexual abuse laid against him by a former student.

Ex-teacher awarded €700,000 against HSE

For me, this sort of allegation is without doubt the worst allegation which any male teacher could face in his career. And it seems the person who made this false allegation has got off scot free, with not even their name mentioned. Just as was the case with the priest in Louth who was cleared of a similar false allegation two months ago, and the person who destroyed his life is not named never mind jailed.

These false allegations will continue until the people who make them suffer hugely as a result of their unforgivable act of destruction. How, therefore, can teachers cover their backs beyond the standard making sure they are never alone in a classroom with a student?

I have taught in schools where cameras were in some of the classrooms, and they were hugely effective in ensuring discipline. I am also aware of schools where cameras are in every classroom, and covering all angles of the school property. I think I'd feel a lot safer in such an environment and the downsides of invasion of my privacy would be hugely negated by the benefits of cctv footage in the event of any false allegation.

Do you think teachers should have a right to request cctv in their classrooms?

Do you think teachers should have a right to request cctv for their classroom? 27 votes

Yes
    0%
    No
    62%
    Drag00n79bad2daboneLord TSCroxyworldgirlMoonDancerMiss Lockhart3_BOoYA_XCaughtSeanchaiMountainsandh13spannerseavilliDannmikemac1DylanIIThe Royal ScamGlenn Coco 17 votes
    It depends (explain in post)
    37%
    KenzEnrightRealJohnevolving_doorsbyhookorbycrookDantedoc_17SparkySpitfiremengeleonethreefive 10 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

Would it stop abuse or accusations of abuse? I don't think so.

Given that much abuse takes time to come out, how long would recordings have to be kept for? Years?

Very difficult to cover every single part of a school - stairs, store rooms, toilets, changing rooms, etc. Even at that, it wouldn't stop verbal abuse or abuse outside the school.

The teacher have the right to ask, but can schools afford to install?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,596 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

most teachers don't want cameras in their rooms because there is always the conspiracy theory of management making notes on how much time they are correcting/late for class etc.
    This case is good as false accusations are made and the idea of the HSE being pre judical is very important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

It depends (explain in post)
    I have no problem with the idea of cameras with regards privacy (since when were our classrooms supposed to be private?) but I think it's unnecessary and that the school shouldn't have to foot the bill for a teacher's paranoia. Take necessary precautions, act professionally and there is no need for CCTV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭DylanII

No
    I think a teacher should be allowed to install their own CCTV, a cheap camera in two corners and a DVR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭Powerhouse

I'm not sure the status of the classroom as a 'public premises' would necessarily mean that there is no right to privacy at any level for anyone in a classroom. Very few people are expected to do their jobs in front of cctv constantly.

That said, I have always argued that students' carry-on in class would be altered far more by the presence of cameras than teachers'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78,495 ✭✭✭✭Victor

DylanII wrote: »
    I think a teacher should be allowed to install their own CCTV
    I think that is part of what us has got us into the present mess.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,639 ✭✭✭Miss Lockhart

No
    Powerhouse wrote: »
    That said, I have always argued that students' carry-on in class would be altered far more by the presence of cameras than teachers'.

I would be happy enough to have CCTV in my classroom - I'm not worried about my teaching skills being judged. Mostly, as you say, I would be interested in it a tool for reducing and/or dealing with persistent extreme behaviour from certain students.

However, when I think about it, those students are not deterred from harrassing and assaulting students and teachers on the corridors where there is already comprehensive CCTV. They just don't care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 798 ✭✭✭Midnight Sundance

There is no need for cameras in a classroom. If a teacher makes sure they are never left alone in a classroom with a child there shouldn't be a need for them.

i know that when it comes to support teachers this isn't so easy but if they leave the classroom door open if a child is there on their own and ensure there are glass panels on doors for anyone to look in, it should leave them a lot less open to allegations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭seavill

No
    There is no need for cameras in a classroom. If a teacher makes sure they are never left alone in a classroom with a child there shouldn't be a need for them.

i know that when it comes to support teachers this isn't so easy but if they leave the classroom door open if a child is there on their own and ensure there are glass panels on doors for anyone to look in, it should leave them a lot less open to allegations.

You say there is no need once the teacher makes sure they are never left alone with a student - yet you list an example where this cannot be helped.

I am not a resource teacher and I have been told by a principal I am taking a student for 1-1 in my subject area.

What about doors that don't have glass panels in older schools? and before you say pick another room there literally was no other room we were so overcrowded. The door being left open yes grand but again my situation the room was at the end of the corridor so there wasnt any passing traffic. Yes the door was open but talk about being left Vulnerable.

You say yourself "leave them a lot less open to allegations" but I think this was the point of the whole discussion, would this situation prevent any allegations.

As has being discussed an allegation is all that is needed to ruin a career and a life. It doesn't have to be true to ruin your life.

We are going down the route of being over the top about everything however in this example is it not worth it for the one instance when something is said.

It has been mentioned about how long are videos kept for etc. and allegations coming to light years down the line, however I think obviously records will not be kept for years on end however should someone find themsleves in the situation of an allegation in a few years time where cameras were present then you have a fair argument in court to say if the allegation was true why didn't they go about it when there was video proof to back up their story. It wouldnt have been like back in the day where it was a childs word against the pillar of society.

I have worked in a room where there has always been a camera, I don't know when it came in not sure did it even work but there was a big camera in the room.

I have worked in a room where the other teacher set up a webcam to protect himself and eventually got funding for a cctv system to be installed into the room.

I can't say in either situation I ever gave it a seconds thought that the cameras were there or not. It didn't even dawn on me for a second that my teaching was being watched, whether it was or not. However I was safe in the knowledge that should anything serious happen or be said I had my backup.

The camera footage was used in one instance as evidence against a student where an incident happened during class with another student. It came in very handy at the time, there was no arguing or getting out of it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

No
    I don't fancy being on cctv at work, but I find that in rooms where cameras are already there (IT, etc...), I just forget about them.
    If that's what it takes to make the environment safer to work in, well then...
    Should assault happen they would come in handy too, and I work in an environment where it could some day happen (hopefully not).

• Advertisement
Advertisement