Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos Alba TVs missing Analog Tuner

Options
  • 22-12-2012 5:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭

I installed a tv aerial for a neighbour for saorview and they have sky in one room so I have an RF output going into the four way splitter as well as the saorview so Its all working in every room perfect reception.

So my neighbour rang me told me the saorview wasn't right in his bedroom with the new tv he got so I called in just now to investigate.

And found the cause of the saorview breaking up to be a damaged lead he was using but I went to tune in the sky as he couldn't do it but to my surprise I find no option to tune analog signals.

So I contacted the helpline to see if I was missing something and he said that 99% of manufacturers are taking the analog tuner out of their new tvs and I said I bought I brand new LG and Samsung TV that were released this year and they both have analog tuners. He said he couldn't comment for other makes.

So my question is Is there any truth in what he is saying? and are they allowed to do this? I'm sure a lot of people have their sky box fed the same way to their other rooms

Is there much more expense for manufacturers to continue installing analog tuners in their new models?

I really only put this is up as warning to people in the same situation as this is the first time I've come across it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭winston_1

heffo500 wrote: »
    but I went to tune in the sky as he couldn't do it but to my surprise I find no option to tune analog signals.

So I contacted the helpline to see if I was missing something and he said that 99% of manufacturers are taking the analog tuner out of their new tvs and I said I bought I brand new LG and Samsung TV that were released this year and they both have analog tuners. He said he couldn't comment for other makes.

So my question is Is there any truth in what he is saying? and are they allowed to do this? I'm sure a lot of people have their sky box fed the same way to their other rooms

Is there much more expense for manufacturers to continue installing analog tuners in their new models?

I really only put this is up as warning to people in the same situation as this is the first time I've come across it.

There is certainly no law saying that TV's have to be able to tune analogue signals. I have seen quite a few TV's in the shops which are digital only, usually small screen sets.

As for the extra costs involved I don't know but manufacturers will save half a cent if they can, the argument being that over a million units they will save €5000.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,560 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Alba are a sub-bargain-basement brand. I have yet to see a TV from a respectable brand without an analogue tuner - although I wouldn't give them much longer to live.

I would say only to buy brands you've heard of, but the Alba name is ancient so most people have...

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

MYOB wrote: »
    Alba are a sub-bargain-basement brand. I have yet to see a TV from a respectable brand without an analogue tuner - although I wouldn't give them much longer to live.

I would say only to buy brands you've heard of, but the Alba name is ancient so most people have...

Yes they're not a make I would have bought and It was only a small tv so the saving compared to a good quality was marginal. Even the small Walker tv he bought for the kitchen had an analog tuner.

MYOB wrote: »
    I have yet to see a TV from a respectable brand without an analogue tuner - although I wouldn't give them much longer to live.

I've seen both Philips and Samsung without analogue tuning facilities.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

winston_1 wrote: »
    I've seen both Philips and Samsung without analogue tuning facilities.

Were these high end or low end models I bought the Samsung UE32EH5000 released this year and an LG M2255D also released this year which both have analog tuners.

• Advertisement

The Philips was low end around 22". The Samsung was a large screen in Currys, can't remember the model.

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭jjf1974

Both the panasonic and walker tvs i installed last weak had analogue tuners .

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Alba is an Argos Label. Not even a brand anymore.

With the latest DSP chips "Analogue" is done for "free" in side the same DSP chip that decodes the Digital data. All digital transmissions actually use "modems" creating synthetic "analogue" like signals. In reality with a decent TV there is no extra cost now to have Analogue and Digital. Some DSP chips can even do multiple kinds of Digital with one "Analogue" Tuner head.

Bush. Alba etc were once top quality UK brands. Now many UK brands are not even made by one company, but a Marketing company like Argos buys or tenders for each "model" which could have different makers. Like Tesco Technika or Maplin Nikkai are not actual makers, just in-store brands for product from many Chinese or other cheap OEMs.

Philips licence their name to one Asian maker for TV and a different one for Radio. Philips now only do Lights and Healthcare.

Advertisement