Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Utopia (Channel 4) [** Spoilers **]

• 22-12-2012 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭

Channel 4 are doing a 6 part series called utopia. Looks like it's goin to be good. Does anyone have any idea whew it will start. I looked it up but couldn't find out

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,540 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Utopia is on Channel 4 on Tuesdays at 10pm from 15th January.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭Daffodil.d

Mr E wrote: »
    Utopia is on Channel 4 on Tuesdays at 10pm from 15th January.
    Thanks for that. Something to look forward to go January.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,732 ✭✭✭brian_t

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Really starting to like the look of this, the cast is worth the price of admission (ie your time) Directed by Marc Munden who did Crimson Petal and the White on BBC2 which was quite impressive.

http://www.channel4.com/info/press/news/casting-announced-on-new-c4-drama-series-utopia

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,037 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Definitely the show to watch this month..

.. hard to ignore since Channel 4 were advertising the hell out of it over Christmas!

• Advertisement

Entertaining, but very much a case of style over substance so far!

Kinda reminiscent of if Irvine Welsh made a TV show..

TV shows need more Michael Smiley!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

I like it so far

Yeah, that
    torture scene
    was tough to watch...

.. was entertained throughout though, and will gladly watch more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Really enjoyed that :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Yeah thought it was quite good for an introduction.Going to watch it next week for sure.

Shopping list for tomorrow:

- chilli's
    - sand
    - bleach
    - spoon

Just doing some cooking / cleaning etc

Yeah thought it was quite good for an introduction.Going to watch it next week for sure.
    Yes it has caught my interest now. Will definitely watch again next week. I also think the CT crowd would enjoy it.

Basq wrote: »

- chilli's
    - sand
    - bleach
    - spoon

I actually couldn't look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,355 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Enjoyed that. Nice one ch4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Interesting enough, will keep with it.

So many dolly shots, felt like you were driving by every scene :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,573 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

I was a little bit underwhelmed by this. The premise and style would usually be right up my street, but it just felt a little cold. I didn't feel a connection to any of the characters really. I'll watch the rest no doubt, but I hope we're given a character or characters to engage with. The ultraviolence route only really works when we've got genuinely good, likeable characters to give balance, a la Drive. At least that's my opinion.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

- chilli's
    - sand
    - bleach
    - spoon

You'll save some money if you've got an eye for a bargain.:P

• Registered Users Posts: 579 ✭✭✭jrby

does anyone know if it is being repeated?

jrby wrote: »
    Doesn't appear to be funnily enough.. there's always 4OD.

• Advertisement

jrby wrote: »

It's on 4seven tonight at 10.00pm

I enjoyed it too. Definitely intend watching the rest of the series.

brian_t wrote: »
    It's on 4seven tonight at 10.00pm
    Saw that.. but can we get 4seven here? :confused:

.. a-ha!

Saw that.. but can we get 4seven here? :confused:

.. a-ha!

For anyone (like me) using a Sky box but without a card, all the free channels automatically appear in the EPG.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Sarn

Enjoyable, I'd agree with the sentiment that it was mostly style over substance to start with. I'll definitely be watching the next one.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭TheStook

Just watched first episode there, and I have to say I'm impressed..

Arby and Lee look like the slickest bad guys I've ever seen, and that torture scene was amazingly well done, despite the fact I could barely see through my fingers haha..

With a bit of Character development this show could be a great

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

Quite liked it.

As well as being about a graphic novel it reminded me of one in the way it was structured and especially because of the two bad guys. They put me in mind of a 2000AD type story for some reason.

Only thing I didn't like was the Kubrick-esque title used at the ad breaks. That style is used too often in things these days I think.

AnonoBoy wrote: »
    Only thing I didn't like was the Kubrick-esque title used at the ad breaks. That style is used too often in things these days I think.
    Yep, agreed. Oh, and hanging title cards annoy me also

While I'm a fan, Wes Anderson has been doing it for years:

tumblr_lhl1x2iYhA1qbezk1o1_500.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

That was rather good
    I had to fast forward through the torture scene, the description was enough for me.

Also, the cliffhanger where Jessica Hyde (apparently) turned up seemed like an anti-climax. The 'where is Jessica Hyde?' theme was going great, then she turned up and just seemed too dull and ordinary. I would have preferred if there had been a more unexpected reveal in the next episode

Still, I am definitely coming back for the next episode.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭johnpatrick81

I loved everything about it, fantastic stuff. Can't wait for episode 2.

• Advertisement

Finally got round to watching part one, whats all the fuss about the already notorious eye scene? Seen far worse in King Lear! The only thing wrong with Utopia was the number of flipping ad breaks otherwise its excellent with a vibrant, pin sharp look to the proceedings which I thought was pretty much out of fashion (every drama on British telly these days seems to be shot through a thin layer of milky gauze).

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭robjones1981

Anyone want to give a quick run down on what this is about and what they think of it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

I mainly agree with 2ndcomings assessment so far. I actually felt more connection to the guys in the comic book store at the start than I did to any of the main characters. But I am interested enough to keep watching, even though when it comes to eye torture scenes, give me a closing door any day.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

Anyone want to give a quick run down on what this is about and what they think of it?

A group of fans of an obscure graphic novel, written by a patient in a mental institution, meet through an online forum. They stumble onto a conspiracy, one that others are willing to kill to protect. They must scramble to unravel the conspiracy before their lives are destroyed.

It seems like a pretty unique show, the best way to describe it so far is Stanley Kubrick meets Rubicon. It's probably too early to say if it's really good or not, depending on how the next few episodes go it will either be an amazing show or an utter pile of rubbish. But it's worth a watch once at least purely based on how different and unique it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,509 ✭✭✭cml387

Saw it in 4OD tonight.

Nice paranoid conspiracy drama with an ace soundtrack btw.

Torturer Lee bears a passing resemblance to Neil Tennant.

When's the second episode out? I thought it was yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

TheStook wrote: »
    When's the second episode out? I thought it was yesterday
    Tuesday nights 22:00.

cambo2008 wrote: »
    Tuesday nights 22:00.

Ah my mistake, cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭ollie1

Enjoyed that second episode. The little boy is a great actor :)

Top stuff!

Any Idea how many episodes this is planned for? Is it a mini series or will it go on for a while? I'm very impressed so far but I think I'd prefer if it had a finite run, maybe 6-8 episodes max, tell the whole story nice and tidy. It has the feel of a good mini series, a long run could dilute it too much

• Advertisement

Bit of a ropey start to that episode, thought the Jessica charachter was a bit meh for a while but turned it around fairly quickly.
    Really liking it and looking forward to the next one. The soundtrack is right up my street too.

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Any Idea how many episodes this is planned for? Is it a mini series or will it go on for a while? I'm very impressed so far but I think I'd prefer if it had a finite run, maybe 6-8 episodes max, tell the whole story nice and tidy. It has the feel of a good mini series, a long run could dilute it too much
    There's 6 as far as I know.

Ya, I think I heard that, just remembered after I posted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,132 ✭✭✭Just Like Heaven

Enjoyed it last night as well. Wouldn't be surprised if there's a second season though.

There might be a second series. ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,091 ✭✭✭Sarn

Very enjoyable. There's a good sense of hoplessness and tension. It almost feels post-apocalyptic, like they're the only people in the world. The camera work is lovely, even the focusing on peoples breathing is a nice little touch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭Madam

I didn't think I would but I'm loving this programme - very surreal in bits, hopefully it will keep it's momentum and it won't begin to drag half way through.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,591 ✭✭✭Tristram

Really enjoyed the first two episodes. Didn't know anything about beforehand so had no expectations. Was pretty blown away by the production quality and the atmosphere. I agree with another poster who mentioned that at times it feels like a graphic novel. I hope they can keep hitting the same notes til the end of the season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Absolutely loving this show, top quality production and acting IMO. I'm loving the colours used, the blue and yellow/orange contrast that features in most scenes is really intriguing as well as the block colours of green/purple that are seen in some other shots.

Really gripping stuff, looking forward to the next episode!

Just watched the second last night..

.. excellent stuff!

C4 continue to impress with drama.. ITV could learn something from them (and don't talk to me about f*cking "Downton").

• Advertisement
Advertisement