Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New tablet bought but already used?

Options
  • 22-12-2012 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 41

I bought a tablet as a present and collected this morning. The box wasn't sealed which I thought was a bit odd but this afternoon when setting it up for my mum I noticed there was a wi-fi connection not in range along with mine and my neighbours which are locked. I phoned the local Irish electrical store I bought it in and asked if it had been used and eventually was told, after being passed from pillar to post, that the sales guy had opened it. He gave me no reason for opening it and logging onto internet, I went into the internet history and he didn't do much on it but I'm pi**ed off about this. All he could say was he'd replace it tomorrow with a new sealed one. Do I have any comeback? I have to take time out tomorrow to drive past Dundrum Town Centre to get to the store in the old Dundrum centre and replace it and feel they should be refunding me some money and should've offered a part refund already. Any ideas what I can do? TIA.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Fuh Q

I dont see what the problem is ? you bought a tablet that the sales man opened and used which you now know is working perfectly and you want to go back and change it for one in a sealed box that may not be working when opened and you will go home and open it and use it before you give it as a gift ? so either way you will give a used tablet as a gift.
    Why would you bother ?
    Why did you not check the box before you left the shop ?
    Why do you think you are owed any refund ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭Procrastastudy

APMom wrote: »
    I bought a tablet as a present and collected this morning. The box wasn't sealed which I thought was a bit odd but this afternoon when setting it up for my mum I noticed there was a wi-fi connection not in range along with mine and my neighbours which are locked. I phoned the local Irish electrical store I bought it in and asked if it had been used and eventually was told, after being passed from pillar to post, that the sales guy had opened it. He gave me no reason for opening it and logging onto internet, I went into the internet history and he didn't do much on it but I'm pi**ed off about this. All he could say was he'd replace it tomorrow with a new sealed one. Do I have any comeback? I have to take time out tomorrow to drive past Dundrum Town Centre to get to the store in the old Dundrum centre and replace it and feel they should be refunding me some money and should've offered a part refund already. Any ideas what I can do? TIA.

You're being prissy. Sorry to be so blunt but realistically its the best thing to say. There is fault on the side of the Electrical retailer in that they should bear in mind they are dealing with Dundrum clientèle which to put it politely are generally more demanding than most. That said they are swapping it out given a very minor issue - you dont deserve petrol money / 50% off imho. At best a tenner voucher if that.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,242 ✭✭✭✭jake is right

This is a HUGE problem. Forget it and get a life !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 208 ✭✭cypressg

Dead right OP,what if it's a return with something wrong with it that the shop is hoping you wouldn't notice or worse what if a scammer bought it and installed spying software that will reap your ma's personal details.
    Charge them for petrol and the time it took you return it,you payed for a new product not a second hand one,could be a display model even.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 APMom

You're being prissy. Sorry to be so blunt but realistically its the best thing to say. There is fault on the side of the Electrical retailer in that they should bear in mind they are dealing with Dundrum clientèle which to put it politely are generally more demanding than most. That said they are swapping it out given a very minor issue - you dont deserve petrol money / 50% off imho. At best a tenner voucher if that.

If you read the post it said I had to go past Dundrum, the shop is in the old Dundrum centre and I'm not Dundrum Clientele. I bought an item which was supposedly new but has been opened and used. If I wanted a 'demo' model I would've asked for one.

• Advertisement

If you read the post it said I had to go past Dundrum, the shop is in the old Dundrum centre and I'm not Dundrum Clientele. I bought an item which was supposedly new but has been opened and used. If I wanted a 'demo' model I would've asked for one.

You've not got a demo - if you had I'd take a different line. You've something that looks like it might have been tested for a couple of minutes - this can happen for a number of reasons. If the seal was that important to you, it is to some; then checking it before you left the store would have taken but 5 seconds.

In short you're entitled to a swap out or indeed a full refund upon returning the goods but beyond that is being prissy. I'm also not surprised that this close to Christmas you got passed about a bit - I'm surprised you got through at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

If you're concerned about the residual effects of someone else turning it on, do a factory reset to put it back to the way it would be just off the factory line. The next time it's turned on, it will go through the whole setup process. Problem solved.

If it's an Android tablet, there should be a Factory Reset option on the Settings menu.

The alternative is to take it back and get a sealed version.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

A person is entitled to expect a new sealed item, unless they were aware that it had been previously open. I wouldn't blame anyone for that.

OP - it's really up to you, knowing that it has been opened, whether or not you want to accept it. But I would be of the opinion that they should exchange it for a new, sealed item.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Just keep it. What is wrong with it? It seems it was merely set up for you. At least the guy in the shop checked it was working. I opened a sealed one only this morning only to find it won't set up. Went back to town and they will have none in stock until after Christmas. I would have preferred if they had logged in to it in the shop before I got it. I'll be asking them to run through the set up in store before I take the replacement.:rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

they are dealing with Dundrum clientèle which to put it politely are generally more demanding than most.

:confused:

• Advertisement

Yamanoto wrote: »
    :confused:

Having managed high turn-over outlets in Blachardstown, City Centre and Dundrum... I stand by the statement. Say what you want about Henry street junkies but I'd rather deal with ten of them than some of the people that shop in Dundrum. That said there were one or two nice one and the majority where grand. There is just an element out there that has to be seen to be believed.

A manger famously (within the company I worked for) remarked after six weeks - get me out of here before I kill one of them or leave.

In a certain toy store out there I saw a customer from the South Dublin/Wicklow area assault a member of staff. I wasn't a manger for that store - just had connections too it. Had I been managing it I would have sat on her until the Gardai arrived and gave evidence at the ensuing assault trial. As it was she got her refund for breaking something herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

Posters - if you want to debate geography & customers, then take it to the relevant Regional forum. Here is not the place

dudara

• Registered Users Posts: 6,908 ✭✭✭ebbsy

dudara wrote: »
    A person is entitled to expect a new sealed item, unless they were aware that it had been previously open. I wouldn't blame anyone for that.

OP - it's really up to you, knowing that it has been opened, whether or not you want to accept it. But I would be of the opinion that they should exchange it for a new, sealed item.

That happened to me once with a computer - I brought it back to the shop and got a new one.

Never bought anything from the shop again though.

Advertisement