Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Working Hol NZ

• 22-12-2012 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 38

Just wondering if anybody knows the answer to these two questions?

From the date of acceptance do you have a year to enter NZ on a WHV like Aus?

Do you have to enter before the age of 30, even if you applied a few months before getting there/turning 30?

Can't seem to find the info on the immi site, Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭the_big_kahuna

hollyday wrote: »
    Just wondering if anybody knows the answer to these two questions?

From the date of acceptance do you have a year to enter NZ on a WHV like Aus?

Do you have to enter before the age of 30, even if you applied a few months before getting there/turning 30?

Can't seem to find the info on the immi site, Thanks!

I am currently on a WHV here in NZ. Yes, you have a year to enter NZ from the date that your visa was granted.

As far as I am aware, you can be 30 entering the country on a WHV. The visa is for anyone between 18-30 so the last day of being 30 years old is your cut off point butI am open to correction on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 hollyday

Thanks the Big Kahuna! Hope you are enjoying it over there! :)

hollyday wrote: »
    Thanks the Big Kahuna! Hope you are enjoying it over there! :)

I've got to say..... it's great! :) Such a refreshing place compared to home with everything focused on Government this, IMF that, Taxation this etc etc :D

When are you planning on coming out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

sorry for butting in in a convo but the Big Kahuna just wondering did you find it easy to get work?

justshane wrote: »
    sorry for butting in in a convo but the Big Kahuna just wondering did you find it easy to get work?

It took me a nearly 6 weeks to get work (started early December 2012), but that's simply because I was very picky with what I wanted to do. I wanted to do something in my line of IT, and I decided I was willing to hold out until I got the job I wanted with a big company rather than just get a job for the sake of it :)

However, there are tons of jobs here. My girlfriend got a job in no time. Just check out www.seek.co.nz and www.trademe.co.nz. They are the big ones for jobs. If you have an idea when you are coming out, and it's not too far ahead, a lot of places will allow overseas applicants. Just remember to let them know that you look to be in the job long term, and hope to stay and gain residency if you can etc etc..... keep them sweet! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 164 ✭✭mazi

It took me a nearly 6 weeks to get work (started early December 2012), but that's simply because I was very picky with what I wanted to do. I wanted to do something in my line of IT, and I decided I was willing to hold out until I got the job I wanted with a big company rather than just get a job for the sake of it :)

However, there are tons of jobs here. My girlfriend got a job in no time. Just check out www.seek.co.nz and www.trademe.co.nz. They are the big ones for jobs. If you have an idea when you are coming out, and it's not too far ahead, a lot of places will allow overseas applicants. Just remember to let them know that you look to be in the job long term, and hope to stay and gain residency if you can etc etc..... keep them sweet! :)

Hi Guys,

I am thinking of making the move next year also.i am currently 30 and am going to apply for the visa probably 2 weeks before I turn 31.So you think there is a chance of securing employment before coming out once we have the visa's granted?Is the residency awkward to apply for? I am in Canada at the moment and the amount of paper work required is a joke so I decided to just leave it in the end and go somewhere else being NZ.

Any advice is appreciated!

Thanks for your help. I'm going to start applying at the end of this month which will be approx 6 weeks before i arrive(flights booked for March). Myself and my girlfriend have degrees but to be honest we will prob not be to picky as our funds won't last too long! :D Can't wait now!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

where abouts you heading to mate? what kind of mulla you bringing with ya? i got offered a job in Christchurch but the pay at 20 dollars is a bit to low or so i have been told:o:o

where abouts you heading to mate? what kind of mulla you bringing with ya? i got offered a job in Christchurch but the pay at 20 dollars is a bit to low or so i have been told

Heading to Christchurch, i'm aiming for 2,500 euro but it's not looking likely ha :) don't think that 20nzd is too bad if you think of its 12.50 euro so way more than min wage here like. What was the job you got offered?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭JustRoss23

it was working as a trade assistant to an electrician :) yea suppose its ok when you thinking of heading?

• Advertisement

Prob loads of hours in that so pleanty of dollers! Fllights booked for March so its only a while away like.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭laura1990

Hello everyone,

I am also looking at a move to New Zealand. In Toronto at the moment and hate it, going to give Vancouver a go but my heart is set on moving to NZ, Ive wanted to go since I was a kid!

Id be applying for the visa over the summer this year with the view of going early 2014.

Im a graphic designer, trying to move more towards web development and or app design/development. How is the climate for jobs in this line. Ive learnt my lesson in Canada, ****ty shop jobs dont pay the bills so I would be looking for a "proper job".

Honestly how is the cost of living, and living in General. Im an outdoor person more than a lets sit in the coffee shop and read a book and never leave the city person. In Toronto you need to have $600+ a week after tax to have any form of life, even then you'll be living in crap accomadation and have no savings etc, there is also no nightlife worth talking about here either.

Any info is appreciated,
    :)

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Just be aware people don't go to NZ for the nightlife.

CatFromHue wrote: »

I have heard this, but surely to god it cant be worse than Toronto.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭majiktripp

Laura, I work for a Cinema software company in Auckland, if you ever decide to head out flick me through your CV and I'll see what I can make happen.

Check us out at www.vista.co.nz to see what we do :)

As for the nightlife, yeah it can be different to back home alright, not better, not worse - just different.

If you like outdoors...come on! If its an outdoor sport or activity you can do it here!

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭seandugg

Do you have to apply for the WHV while in Ireland?

Can this be done online while travelling?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭CommanderC

Courtenay Place in Wellington is buzzing every weekend. I'm from Wellington :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

CommanderC wrote: »

Haha yeah it's a nice spot all right but in general the night life isn't NZ's main attraction.

Is Kitty O'Shea's still there? Probably a stupid question as I'd imagine it's wedged with all the Irish there at the moment!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭CommanderC

Haha yeah it's a nice spot all right but in general the night life isn't NZ's main attraction.

Is Kitty O'Shea's still there? Probably a stupid question as I'd imagine it's wedged with all the Irish there at the moment!

Yep, it was still packed out when I was living there...and so was Molly Malones.....and JJ Murphys.....and the Black Harp..... :D

majiktripp wrote: »
    Laura, I work for a Cinema software company in Auckland, if you ever decide to head out flick me through your CV and I'll see what I can make happen.

Check us out at www.vista.co.nz to see what we do :)

As for the nightlife, yeah it can be different to back home alright, not better, not worse - just different.

If you like outdoors...come on! If its an outdoor sport or activity you can do it here!
    Thanks very much :) When the time comes I'll be in contact, hope its sooner rather than later :D
    seandugg wrote: »
    Do you have to apply for the WHV while in Ireland?

Can this be done online while travelling?
    My friend tried through USIT but they would'nt process it because she's not in Ireland....

Yep, it was still packed out when I was living there...and so was Molly Malones.....and JJ Murphys.....and the Black Harp..... :D

Sounds good :D
    As long as there's a bit of craic to be had Im happy :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 51 ✭✭mix_up

laura1990 wrote: »
    I have heard this, but surely to god it cant be worse than Toronto.

ive never been to canada but i lived and worked in new zealand over a decade ago

id have thought that a city as big as toronto would beat anywhere in new zealand when it comes to night life

none of the citys in new zealand are as impressive as dublin , kiwis are a pretty dull bunch too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 138 ✭✭iamthe43

Ok, dumb question here guys, but I just turned 30 last week. Am I still able to apply for the WH visa, or is it too late?

mix_up wrote: »
    ive never been to canada but i lived and worked in new zealand over a decade ago

id have thought that a city as big as toronto would beat anywhere in new zealand when it comes to night life

none of the citys in new zealand are as impressive as dublin , kiwis are a pretty dull bunch too

Toronto is possibly the most boring anti-social City ive been to. Its a large part of the reason I'm leaving, I can't stick it anymore. New York and L.A are the best cities i've been to for going out ( outside Ireland ).

I have heard the nightlife in NZ is nothing to write home about, but it cant be worse than where I am now....

Advertisement