Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking a Ham

Options
  • 22-12-2012 6:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭

I can cook most things but not sure what I do to make this smoked ham fillet really tasty and ready to accompany my turkey on Tuesday. If I can prepare it tomorrow or Monday even better. What do I do and when do I do it? Old posts here seem to all say to just boil for 20mins/pound and in oven for 20 mins at end. Can we do anything more exciting than that?

Thanks!

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

You could try Nigella's ham in coca cola recipe. I can't vouch for it as its my first year trying it. I doing it at the request of someone who had it elsewhere and is still raving about it. I'm using a smoked ham also.

http://www.nigella.com/recipes/view/ham-in-coca-cola-171

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭Darkginger

I'm in the middle of boiling exactly that - a 1.8 kg smoked ham fillet :)

I covered it in cold water, brought it to the boil, boiled for 30 mins, discarded water, re-covered in cold water, but this time I added 2 asian bay leaves, 2 whole star anise, 6 cloves, a few black peppercorns, a few schezuan peppercorns and some casia bark. It's boiling (smells great) for a total of 75 mins, then I'll let it cool in the liquid. Tomorrow, I'll strip the rind off, cut the fat into diamond patterns, insert a clove into each, and then glaze it with this mixture:

1 teaspoon dry mustard
    1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
    1 cup Splenda ('cos I don't eat sugar, if you do, I suggest dark brown sugar instead)
    2 - 3 tablespoons whiskey

...and bake it for around 30 mins at about 180.

Hope that helps - am being driven mad by this smell right now!

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I would strongly advise against cooking a 'fancy' ham if you are unsure of the Basics. Follow darkginger's cooking times & you'll do fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,987 ✭✭✭BailMeOut

Darkginger wrote: »
    I'm in the middle of boiling exactly that - a 1.8 kg smoked ham fillet :)

I covered it in cold water, brought it to the boil, boiled for 30 mins, discarded water, re-covered in cold water, but this time I added 2 asian bay leaves, 2 whole star anise, 6 cloves, a few black peppercorns, a few schezuan peppercorns and some casia bark. It's boiling (smells great) for a total of 75 mins, then I'll let it cool in the liquid. Tomorrow, I'll strip the rind off, cut the fat into diamond patterns, insert a clove into each, and then glaze it with this mixture:

1 teaspoon dry mustard
    1 teaspoon white wine vinegar
    1 cup Splenda ('cos I don't eat sugar, if you do, I suggest dark brown sugar instead)
    2 - 3 tablespoons whiskey

...and bake it for around 30 mins at about 180.

Hope that helps - am being driven mad by this smell right now!

Excellent. I will do exactly this. Will let you know how it works out.

Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,334 ✭✭✭positivenote

Hi all as stated its my first time cooking this for the family. I want to boil it as that's the way it was done by my mam for years. Where do I start? I'm looking for advice on times and ingredients etc and I want to cook it today as opposed to Christmas Day. Thanks in advance

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

The general rule with ham is to boil it for 20 minutes per pound, and 20 minutes over. If you type Ham into Search in this forum you'll fine lots of previous threads on the subject.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,778 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Rather than have a thread for each weight of ham, I've merged the Most recent threads. All enquiries on ham cooking here please.

Thanks,

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 28,588 ✭✭✭✭looksee

PLEASE DON'T BOIL YOUR HAM. Bring it to the boil then turn the heat down to the very lowest so the water is just moving - simmer it gently!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I did out ham yesterday, has been 2 days dinners and I'm still scoffing it every time I pass it.

Mrs. Clareman doesn't like smoked ham, so went for the €13 ham from Tesco, soaked in over night in cold water, then yesterday poured out the water, put in a litre of apple juice, 2 litres of cider, a peeled onion, few whole black peppers and a few bay leaves. Brought it to the boil and then brought it down to a simmer, skimmed the pot every once and a while and topped up with water as well when needed, 2 hours was enough When it was finished I simply put it in the over for half and hour fat side up. I always make a simple glaze of brown sugar, butter and spices, I don't like cloves or cinnamon so it wouldn't be overly festive.

I made some gravy by using a bit of the boiling juice, bits on the bottom of the roasting tray, juice of a manderine orange and some chicken stock.

This was my 5th year doing it and I have to say it was the best, although I stupidly put my Le Creuscent roasting dish on the hob and it smashed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭fourmations

hi

i bought the 13e ham in tesco too but mine has practically no fat
    ive only cooked ham once years ago and
    totally forgot it should have the rind and fat

will i still be able to glaze it ok?
    i was going to the cola job with mustard/sugar glaze

thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement