Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible Network Blocked Phone?

Options
  • 22-12-2012 7:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 903 ✭✭✭

My friend bought a second hand Samsung Galaxy S2. It was on Meteor when the seller had it, but was then unlocked. It is def originally a Meteor phone.

My friend is on Meteor but the phone will not make or receive any texts or calls now.

The thing is it works fine with a Vodafone sim.

So what we are wondering is maybe the seller reported the phone lost/stolen to Meteor to get insurance. If someone does this do Meteor block the phone on their network only? As I said, the phone is unlocked now and works perfect with a Vodafone sim, but when a Meteor sim is inserted it says "Mobile network not available" If it was blocked, surely it wouldn't work on any network?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If it reported stolen it'll be blocked to all networks in the country.
    Looks like it's not properly unlocked is all.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Dammer

Mobile phone networks can also block their own phones and place them on a (lets call it a) "grey list" if the owner stops paying his monthly fee within the contract term. Technically the phone is not stolen so it is not fully black listed.

Vodafone and 3 do not subscribe to this "grey list" O2 and Meteor do and any MVO's that operate on their networks.

If the phone works with a 3 SIM then it has been network blocked "grey listed" by Meteor.

It is possible the person you bought it from cancelled his Direct Debit with Meteor.
    Meteor "grey listed" the phone on their network.

Hope you get it sorted.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

Herrick wrote: »
    My friend bought a second hand Samsung Galaxy S2. It was on Meteor when the seller had it, but was then unlocked. It is def originally a Meteor phone.

My friend is on Meteor but the phone will not make or receive any texts or calls now.

The thing is it works fine with a Vodafone sim.

So what we are wondering is maybe the seller reported the phone lost/stolen to Meteor to get insurance. If someone does this do Meteor block the phone on their network only? As I said, the phone is unlocked now and works perfect with a Vodafone sim, but when a Meteor sim is inserted it says "Mobile network not available" If it was blocked, surely it wouldn't work on any network?

Dial *#06# and see if the IMEI is the same as under the battery.
    If the screen says the IMEI begins with 0049 [or is it 0044], this is a Samsung test IMEI and will be blacklisted on many networks. The usual way a retail phone gets this IMEI is by fooking up a custom ROM install. There is at least ONE rouge ROM out there that blanks your EFS, hence giving you the bad IMEI.

This can be fixed but ONLY to the original IMEI.

EDIT : Don't put your IMEI here but it SHOULD begin with 354505 but can sometimes be different.

Advertisement