Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hairdressers with attitude

Options
  • 22-12-2012 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭

Let me set the scene for your -

It's a somewhat sleepy Saturday before Xmas here in Carlow. The town is busy but nothing compared to the likes of other towns. I am heading to Tesco to pick up some bits when a friend calls me and wants to hang out. We hang around the town for a bit and he mentions he wants to get a haircut. As I am going back to his place, I go with him.

So, we wander over to a particular one and there is 3 people there. 1 finishing getting a hair cut, 2 waiting / queueing. My friend knows the person who runs the hairdressers as he is a regular. Says hello etc and we sit down. I'm take out my phone and start to text my better half - From here it gets interesting :)

The hairdresser stops what he is doing, walks over to me and asks what am I getting done. I said I'm waiting for my friend to get a quick shave. I was then told that I'm not allowed wait inside the shop for him and I'm to "get out". I ask if he is serious and he delivers this whopper that if I sit there I]in the back unseen from the window[/I people won't come in for a haircut. My friend gets up and says he is leaving. The hairdressers doesn't even try stop him with no apology either. It actually took a few minutes to sink in what happened!

So this is number 3 in the nasty attitude count I've had over the week since coming back to visit for xmas. It really doesn't surprise me when I meet people I grew up with in Carlow say to me "Carlow is dying a death" & "No one wants to shop here anymore". I have lived and travelled all over the world. I just can't get over how bad the attitude is in Carlow when I come back to visit. It's like people go out of there way to give poor customer service.

Love to hear thoughts or other peoples experiences of Carlow brand of service.

in B4 -

If you don't like Carlow, then leave - I will be. I'm visiting friends and family but won't be staying, nor would I ever move back.

It's his shop - Sure but telling someone waiting on a paying customer to get out because they might put someone off coming in is a seriously nasty attitude to have however you look at it. I'd have had no problem with it if the place was packed to the roof, or if there was no space. But it had 2 people waiting.

Everywhere is like that - That's true but Carlow seems to have a higher per capita of this crap than most places.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭Hailhail1967

Well that is absolutely madness on the hairdresser behalf obviously but I have lived in Carlow for about 3 months now and find it a fantastic place to live. Never had any problem with the people or locals, the opposite in fact.

I have also lived in a good few places in Ireland and abroad and I would rate Carlow fairy high as regards the people and the locals. Just my experience from a small amount of time living here.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭doughef

- From here it gets interesting :)

no it didnt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 166 ✭✭rosehip

Was it a Barber? I only ask because there are loads in carlow town and between you and your friend telling everyone and the people in there hearing it, he probably won't be in business long. A very foolish thing to do.

He wouldn't last long in a women's or unisex hairdressers/salon as women who come in for a cut can bring (in no particular order) - the mammy, the granny, the aunt, the friend, the kids, the shopping and occasionally a husband/partner :D

And i nearly forgot WELCOME HOME REATI !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,923 ✭✭✭Reati

It was a Barber. I wouldn't like to see anyone have a hard time but that is a serious attitude to have with customers. It's not all bad in Carlow anyway, the staff in Penny's today were the nicest people to deal with.

Thanks Rosehip - I've must say the place has changed a bit since last time I was here! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 979 ✭✭✭Michael Weston

The guy was clearly an ass but, on the whole its a decent place to shop and I wouldnt agree with the generalisation about the town. Give the guys general location so we can be warned. I have a feeling you will say upper Tullow St.

• Advertisement

The guy was clearly an ass but, on the whole its a decent place to shop and I wouldnt agree with the generalisation about the town. Give the guys general location so we can be warned. I have a feeling you will say upper Tullow St.

I value your opinion on the generalisation. I'm not on to start a Carlow bashing thread but I was honestly surprised at some of the people I met and their attitudes. I'm sure the view will change over the next few days when I float around Carlow and Kilkenny. I can compare!

Yes, you'd be correct in your guess. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,551 ✭✭✭Carlow2011

I took my kid to get a haircut and there was a price list on the wall that said children €8. The haircut over and the guy said that'll be a tenner thanks. Probably would have given him the tenner anyway but felt robbed.

I would however say that I shopped local this year and had some really positive shopping experiences with amazing service and yes I will name them because they deserve a mention for excellent customer service:- Douglas Jewellers, Shaws but a special mention to the guy in Swans who saved me a fortune. Carlow is alive and well.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Which end is upper Tullow St?

Queen-Mise wrote: »
    Which end is upper Tullow St?

Up by Teach Dolmain would be upper Tullow St and Tullys would be lower Tullow St

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭Real Life

Up by Teach Dolmain would be upper Tullow St and Tullys would be lower Tullow St

i would have thought it was the other way around, dont know why though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

Real Life wrote: »

I would've too, if for nothing other than simply the height difference...as stupid as that probably sounds

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

Real Life wrote: »

So would I. When someone say top of the town to me I think of that Dublin street being the top of the town Shamrock square being the bottom of the town. So I would put upper and lower Tullow street the same way.

So would I. When someone say top of the town to me I think of that Dublin street being the top of the town Shamrock square being the bottom of the town. So I would put upper and lower Tullow street the same way.

Lived in town all my life and New Oak estate has always been top of the town to me, We should have a quick vote or meet in potato market and fight it out :):););).

Thwip! wrote: »
    I would've too, if for nothing other than simply the height difference...as stupid as that probably sounds

But Shamrock Square is more elevated than Dublin St or down by Tullys

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭MyBrokenKnees

So forget upper or lower.

Is it close to the L&N or The Buzz's

So forget upper or lower.

Is it close to the L&N or The Buzz's

Ha ha yeah just say who this dude was

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭nocoverart

Is that Mick O Toole dude still alive? he nearly cut me ear off when I was a kid.

nocoverart wrote: »
    Is that Mick O Toole dude still alive? he nearly cut me ear off when I was a kid.

He is and nearly broke my neck when I was a kid, put ya sittin on the plank across the stool then shove your head down as hard as he could, Jesus that sound awful actually. But yeah he is still open for business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,234 ✭✭✭Thwip!

But Shamrock Square is more elevated than Dublin St or down by Tullys

Dublin Street i'll give you (even though i was referring to tullow street only ;) )

but is it really more elevated than Tullys?

Thwip! wrote: »
    Dublin Street i'll give you (even though i was referring to tullow street only ;) )

but is it really more elevated than Tullys?

I think so anyway maybe I am wrong

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Tully's is way more elevated than Shamrock square.

Tully's is way more elevated than Shamrock square.

Tullys is on a massive incline

• Registered Users Posts: 10,665 ✭✭✭✭maccored

tully is on a hill as the slope continues on down past the tavern. shamrock square would be more elevated.

maccored wrote: »
    tully is on a hill as the slope continues on down past the tavern. shamrock square would be more elevated.

Thats what I would have thought too

• Site Banned Posts: 240 ✭✭Nervous Nigel

The attitude was appalling, but you can see a bit of a point.

A lot of people will avoid a place with too big a queue.

Therefore, if there are people in the queue who aren't getting their hair cut, that can be damaging to the business. More damaging to abuse punters though!

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jay gatsby

I'm a regular in the place you're talking about. In the guy's defence there is a sign inside the door stating his policy on people waiting. I can see where you're coming from of course but I would be one of those who would keep walking if I saw a queue particularly in this establishment as he takes his time with each customer.

I'd still recommend him anyway.

jay gatsby wrote: »
    I'm a regular in the place you're talking about. In the guy's defence there is a sign inside the door stating his policy on people waiting. I can see where you're coming from of course but I would be one of those who would keep walking if I saw a queue particularly in this establishment as he takes his time with each customer.

I'd still recommend him anyway.

I will say I didn't see the sign you mention and while I think it's a stupid policy to have, it's his business so he's entitled to run it as he pleases. I'm sure he knows more about running a hairdresser business than me (though I'd still question that!)

I am willing to say in my opinion, the the number of customers he could have lost is fewer (likely 0) than myself, my friend and his friends who will be going elsewhere now.

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭celticsfan

Reati wrote: »
    I will say I didn't see the sign you mention and while I think it's a stupid policy to have, it's his business so he's entitled to run it as he pleases. I'm sure he knows more about running a hairdresser business than me (though I'd still question that!)

I am willing to say in my opinion, the the number of customers he could have lost is fewer (likely 0) than myself, my friend and his friends who will be going elsewhere now.

It wouldnt happen to be the barber either side of the nightclub and permanent tsb would it?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 tomlad123

I know what shop you are talking about, I had the same experience. He lost a customer that day

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16 teddymc

Reati wrote: »
    Let me set the scene for your -

It's a somewhat sleepy Saturday before Xmas here in Carlow. The town is busy but nothing compared to the likes of other towns. I am heading to Tesco to pick up some bits when a friend calls me and wants to hang out. We hang around the town for a bit and he mentions he wants to get a haircut. As I am going back to his place, I go with him.

So, we wander over to a particular one and there is 3 people there. 1 finishing getting a hair cut, 2 waiting / queueing. My friend knows the person who runs the hairdressers as he is a regular. Says hello etc and we sit down. I'm take out my phone and start to text my better half - From here it gets interesting :)

The hairdresser stops what he is doing, walks over to me and asks what am I getting done. I said I'm waiting for my friend to get a quick shave. I was then told that I'm not allowed wait inside the shop for him and I'm to "get out". I ask if he is serious and he delivers this whopper that if I sit there I]in the back unseen from the window[/I people won't come in for a haircut. My friend gets up and says he is leaving. The hairdressers doesn't even try stop him with no apology either. It actually took a few minutes to sink in what happened!

So this is number 3 in the nasty attitude count I've had over the week since coming back to visit for xmas. It really doesn't surprise me when I meet people I grew up with in Carlow say to me "Carlow is dying a death" & "No one wants to shop here anymore". I have lived and travelled all over the world. I just can't get over how bad the attitude is in Carlow when I come back to visit. It's like people go out of there way to give poor customer service.

Love to hear thoughts or other peoples experiences of Carlow brand of service.

in B4 -

If you don't like Carlow, then leave - I will be. I'm visiting friends and family but won't be staying, nor would I ever move back.

It's his shop - Sure but telling someone waiting on a paying customer to get out because they might put someone off coming in is a seriously nasty attitude to have however you look at it. I'd have had no problem with it if the place was packed to the roof, or if there was no space. But it had 2 people waiting.

Everywhere is like that - That's true but Carlow seems to have a higher per capita of this crap than most places.

I was down tullow street yesterday. There are five barbers three on lower close to each other and two upper close to each other. You are doing four of them no favours by not naming the one you are talking about!

Advertisement