Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

None of our ATM cards are working

Options
  • 22-12-2012 10:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Myself and my wife are in the states.

Myself and my wife are both BOI customers and none of our ATM cards (all the new visa debit type) work in any ATM machine (tried two different banks and a standalone) we have tried.

Our credit cards work fine. But the cards for our joint account and are personal accounts don't work.

To say this is an inconvenience is a bit of an understatement.

Is there a technical problem with this? Does it only work with certain banks?

I called 24 credit card line and they can't help cos the credit card is fine.

General customer care is automated only.

If BOI have locked down our cards for fraud control without even checking to call us we'll be leaving BOI when we get back.

:(
    Quad

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Bummer. I had zero problems with the BoI Visa Debit anywhere in the states, it worked everywhere.

Maybe this is something related to your account specifically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,346 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Tara

Hi quad red,

We're sorry to hear you are experiencing difficulties with your debit cards while abroad. The Visa Debit card can be used worldwide at ATMs or at point of sale where you see the Visa logo displayed. We are not aware of any technical issues with our cards over the weekend and as Savman mentioned above, this may be account specific. We would suggest contacting Banking365 and a representative will do their best to have this sorted for you. Banking365 can be contacted on 00353 1 4044000, and are opened until 8pm today.

We hope you enjoy the rest of your time in the States and have a very happy Christmas.

Thanks
    Tara

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Kace

Interesting. We are having exactly the same issue here in New Zealand with our BoI Visa Debit. We have tried it about 7 different ATMs / Banks and every one fails. The card worked fine in Australia over recent days but a complete No-Go in New Zealand.

Also phoned Banking365 who indicated that there was absolutely nothing wrong with the card. The suggestions they had were 1) we'll send you a new card and 2) visit an actual bank and withdraw the cash in-branch.

Obviously option 1 is pointless and we tried option 2 today and the bank had no way of allowing cash to be withdrawn in this way. So here we are.....no cash and no options.

Any chance of some help / investigation here as this is obviously not an isolated issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi Kace,

There are no reported issues using the Visa Debit so you should have no problems where ever the Visa symbol is displayed. We would always recommend customers to use a larger banks atm machine to avoid any issues, for example like HSBC.

If you would like to pm us your contact number and branch we will organise someone to call you in relation to the issues you have been experiencing and investigate it for you.

Thanks
    Linda

• Registered Users Posts: 1,540 ✭✭✭dohouch

On a recent visit to Spain, I had 3 different cards, 2 Visa Debit, 1 Mastercard, rejected in a hotel. A new experience for me, left hotel, went to the nearest bank and withdrew no problem.

My advice try a wide variety of ATM's, banks, etc. My rejections were put down to the intermediate "Payment Processor" not recognizing these Irish cards.

We're not suffering, only complaining 😞

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭chargerman

I was in Toronto in Sept, used my old bank of ireland card at a specific machine, worked no problems. I was back there early December with the new visa debit card and it didn't work on the same machine, this was at a main banks atm!! My credit card worked ok but I was in a bit of panic!

Hi Kace,

There are no reported issues using the Visa Debit so you should have no problems where ever the Visa symbol is displayed. We would always recommend customers to use a larger banks atm machine to avoid any issues, for example like HSBC.

If you would like to pm us your contact number and branch we will organise someone to call you in relation to the issues you have been experiencing and investigate it for you.

Thanks
    Linda

Done - give us a call please. Still cashless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Bank of Ireland: Linda

Hi Kace,

Thank you, we have recieved your pm and I will organise the callback now.

Thanks
    Linda

Hi Kace,

Thank you, we have recieved your pm and I will organise the callback now.

Thanks
    Linda

Thanks for the call. We tried another ATM today (NZ Post Office) and it worked, so all appears to be good now.

We'll try one of the other ATMs that didn't originally work to see if this has resolved itself.

Advertisement