Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What really obvious thing have you only just realised?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Platypusses (platypy???) have venom?

Jaysus, is there anything on that god forsaken continent that doesn't want to kill you - even the funny animals are poisonous.
    In fact Kylies fanny is probably poisonous (but fúck it what a way to go, beats death by platypus anyway:D)
    Technically ever species of octopus is venomous. But there's only one that's dangerous to humans, and by dangerous read 1,200 times worse than cyanide.

Take a wild guess where it lives ?

What's even wilder is that the original inhabitants probably wiped out the big critters. Komodo dragons weighing a tonne. Long legged land crocs.
    Kangaroos have a nice way of grabbing you by the shoulders and disembowelling you with the claws on their hind feet , in the past there were bigger ones.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_megafauna

https://museumvictoria.com.au/melbournemuseum/discoverycentre/dinosaur-walk/meet-the-skeletons/genyornis/
    Genyornis was a large flightless bird, considerably taller and heavier than the modern ostrich or emu. It had powerful legs and tiny wings, and probably most closely resembled its living relatives, ducks and geese. But instead of having webbed feet and a duckbill, Genyornis had large hoof-like claws on its toes and a big beak

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Megalania a monitor lizard the size of a croc

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quinkana long legged land crocs

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wonambi giant snakes.

Humans have been the apex predator on this planet for a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Botox is the most poisonous (toxic?) Substance ever known.

1kg costs a trillion dollars.

If you had 2kg of it youd have enough to kill everybody in the world.

The stuff people inject in their face is diluted to the billionth part and still kills nerves instantly

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭KKkitty

The stuff people inject in their face is diluted to the billionth part and still kills nerves instantly

Still don't understand why people want that stuff in their system.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

This should be in the "I bet you didn't know thread". None of that is obvious but it is very interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

2 trillion to kill the entire world.

How much to just render them all completely expressionless for 6 months?

Botox was actually approved as a treatment for crossed eyes, a fairly niche market you'd have to think. Once approved however, doctors can use it to treat other conditions if they think it will help and so was spawned one of the worlds biggest selling drugs.
    Apparently, wrinkles are a medical condition:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Arbie

Cannabis is measured in ounces but cocaine in grams.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Arbie wrote: »

Small amounts of cannabis are sold in grams, generally its x number of ounces, half ounce, quarter ounce, and everything else in grams.

Over here anyways, I know it goes to eights and 'teenths' stateside

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,654 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

That "Mace" ad on the telly with all the staff pogoing around the aisles in rude good humour (surely cause for a complaint to ASA in itself, they're never that happy in my local one) is not advertising the "Naas" Mace :eek:

I had wondered what was so special about Naas that it deserved its very own telly ad campaign :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

HeidiHeidi wrote:
    I had wondered what was so special about Naas that it deserved its very own telly ad campaign

It's a nice place to shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭R00ster

Despite having travelled through numerous times, I only copped recently that Holyhead is on an island, and that you passed through another island to get to mainland Wales.

• Advertisement

Arbie wrote: »

Speaking as a former cocaine enthusiast - the metric system didn't feature in any of my dealings:)

R00ster wrote: »
    Despite having travelled through numerous times, I only copped recently that Holyhead is on an island, and that you passed through another island to get to mainland Wales.

Well you live and learn!

Reminds me of a few years back, driving to achil. Got a bit lost, stopped at a shop and asked "how do I get to achil?", the woman looked at me a bit bemused and said "you're on achil!" "Surely, says I" somewhat puzzled, "I'd have cross water to get on to an island?", "Ay, surely you would!"
    I still to this day reckon I was beamed on by aliens, I didn't cross no god damn water!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

R00ster wrote: »

I think there are probably a lot of people in Cork who don't realise it is an island too. :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

That Harley Quinn off Batman / Suicide Squad was actually a play on Harlequin.... Doh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

That discrete and discreet are two different words.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,713 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

OldNotWIse wrote: »

Wait, what??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,266 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Wait, what??

Yup.... He's right

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,654 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

If only people would realise that wreckless and reckless were different words.... :mad:

(and that one of them doesn't exist!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,257 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    If only people would realise that wreckless and reckless were different words.... :mad:

(and that one of them doesn't exist!)

this guy? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wreckless_Eric

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

T-shirts are so called because their shape looks like the letter 'T'.
    Set your faces to stunned.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,555 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Only one of them is two different words.

• Advertisement

Well that's news to me! :)
    Jesus Wept wrote: »

You don't remember the fruit of the loom adds then "these t shirts stay t shaped"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

D'ya know when you're watching a film in the cinema and the a age rating appears before it starts? Well I always noticed the Director listed in the corner was always the same chap and I was thinking

"Jaysus this lad is directing everything these days, how come I've never heard of him?!"

Turns out it's the director of the irish film rating company :o

Ol' Donie wrote: »
    Wait, what??

Discrete means something is apart from others or distinct.

Discreet (which is the one I didn't believe existed) means to be sensitive in dealing with something.

Jesus Wept wrote: »

I didn't know this!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,646 ✭✭✭✭qo2cj1dsne8y4k

That guide dogs can't read the bus number for their human

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Juran

That LOL stands for 'Laughing Out Loud' .... up until a year ago, I thought it stood for 'Lots Of Love' and always thought it was strange that a work colleague in our US office sometimes added LOL to the end of her emails  ...  and here was me thinking she really liked me ... blush ...

• Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Juran

That LOL stands for 'Laughing Out Loud' .... up until a year ago, I thought it stood for 'Lots Of Love' and always thought it was strange that a work colleague in our US office sometimes added LOL to the end of her emails  ...  and here was me thinking she really liked me ... blush ...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,290 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Juran wrote: »

I always wondered what happened to Juran Juran...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,822 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Well that's news to me! :)

You don't remember the fruit of the loom adds then "these t shirts stay t shaped"

What did they add?

• Advertisement

Fruit I pressume:D

That LOL stands for 'Laughing Out Loud' .... up until a year ago, I thought it stood for 'Lots Of Love' and always thought it was strange that a work colleague in our US office sometimes added LOL to the end of her emails ... and here was me thinking she really liked me ... blush ...

I remember reading something before (I think on boards) about someone who thought it meant the same thing texting their friend "heard your granny died LOL"
    Oops!:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,822 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Fruit I pressume:D

Eh.right..ok...added an 's' did they, good for them...right ? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

...that up until last year I had been opening bananas upside down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,667 ✭✭✭Frynge

Pyr0 wrote: »
    D'ya know when you're watching a film in the cinema and the a age rating appears before it starts? Well I always noticed the Director listed in the corner was always the same chap and I was thinking

"Jaysus this lad is directing everything these days, how come I've never heard of him?!"

Turns out it's the director of the irish film rating company :o

Gerard Connelly is no longer "Acting Director" of the IFCO.

annascott wrote: »
    ...that up until last year I had been opening bananas upside down.

I seen that god damn smart arse monkey too.:mad:

It is so much easier to open them monkey style though, I used to occasionally resort to using a knife on the particularly awkward ones!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Californication is fornication with 'cali' at the front. I always thought it was a cool word for a vacation in California.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,558 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Xico, that mexican club on baggot st in dublin, is 'mexico' without the 'me'.

I thought it was some weird aztec cultural appropriation sh1te

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

FunLover18 wrote: »
    Californication is fornication with 'cali' at the front. I always thought it was a cool word for a vacation in California.

It has to do with California people moving to Oregon, and people moaning about the changes.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,982 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

0649_6e01_500.jpeg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 97 ✭✭AzcuzCoz

I only just realised that the Clooney guy from the Mace in Clones had twins! Congrats!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭Elemonator

I thought a porcupine was a fish in an instance of confusion!!!!!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Lady is a tramp

Elemonator wrote: »
    I thought a porcupine was a fish in an instance of confusion!!!!!!!!!

Porpoise?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Blackhorse Slim

No, it was an accident

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭Arbie

Talking to an Australian friend about Home & Away, I mentioned the town near to Summer Bay called "Abbey Creek".

She thought this was hilarious as the name is actually Yabbie Creek (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Summer_Bay#Yabbie_Creek), apparently Yabbie/Yabby is a type of Australian shellfish (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Common_yabby).

Not obvious to me, but apparently it is to Australians.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭VandC

The restaurant "the happy pear"....is referring to its two happy owners, "the happy pair"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,769 ✭✭✭Pinch Flat

Some countries in Europe have exclaves - sovereign territory of one nation contained entirely within an other.

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/articles/quirky-european-enclaves-where-cultures-collide/amp/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 402 ✭✭Exeggcute

annascott wrote: »
    That Axl Rose was born a woman

eh...what?

On a side note his name is an anagram of oral sex.

His real name is William Bruce Rose Jr. but he was raised as William Bruce Bailey

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,223 ✭✭✭Michael D Not Higgins

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Some countries in Europe have exclaves - sovereign territory of one nation contained entirely within an other.

https://www.google.ie/amp/www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/destinations/europe/articles/quirky-european-enclaves-where-cultures-collide/amp/

Even better, for the first one, Baarle-Nassau, if you look at the map there's double enclaves. There's Dutch enclaves within the Belgian enclaves.

365px-Baarle-Nassau_-_Baarle-Hertog-en.svg.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,159 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Even better, for the first one, Baarle-Nassau, if you look at the map there's double enclaves. There's Dutch enclaves within the Belgian enclaves.

365px-Baarle-Nassau_-_Baarle-Hertog-en.svg.png
    It used to be the case that a lot of the shops had two doors, one in each country, and whichever countries tax regimes were better decided what door was open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,271 ✭✭✭annascott

Exeggcute wrote: »
    eh...what?

On a side note his name is an anagram of oral sex.

His real name is William Bruce Rose Jr. but he was raised as William Bruce Bailey

https://www.ncscooper.com/axl-rose-reveals-he-is-transgender/

• Advertisement
Advertisement