Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What really obvious thing have you only just realised?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Muslims follow the final and the literal word of God.

Delivered from God to the Prophet via the Angel Gabriel.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭obi604

That Tabasco is actually a place.

Did you hear this when they were on about a hurricane hitting some place and they mentioned tabasco?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

obi604 wrote: »
    Did you hear this when they were on about a hurricane hitting some place and they mentioned tabasco?

Yip.

Yip.

Ah yeah. Same as meself !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

Don King is still alive.

Don't forget what a POS **** he is. He stomped an employee to death in the 60s. Plenty of other stellar stuff out there about him too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

Ah yeah. Same as meself !

That report was my sauce for that.

Geddit?

When I login to Internet banking, I login with my 8 digit registration number, after many years, I have just realised that the first 6 digits are my date of birth - thick or what !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,506 ✭✭✭✭castletownman

Ever walk down Grafton Street, and see a strip of black paving running the length of it? Kind of sticks out amid all the normally coloured slabs.

Well that's a "guide strip" for the visually impaired and is made from a different material to the rest of the paving.

I genuinely thought it was just different for aesthetic purposes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Ineedaname

For the longest time I thought the iron in your blood was named after iron the metal because it's needed to keep you healthy and strong. Never occurred to me they're actually one and the same. :o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,003 ✭✭✭Hammer89

I was looking for this thread recently but couldn't remember what it was called.

Anyways, I never realised The George was (probably) called that because it's on Georges St :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

Watching the The Story of Only Fools and Horses on UK Gold, I knew that Del Boy and Rodney's business was called Trotters Independent Trader's as it was clearly written on the side of the van, never copped that the acronym of it is TIT.

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,524 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

When I login to Internet banking, I login with my 8 digit registration number, after many years, I have just realised that the first 6 digits are my date of birth - thick or what !!

mine isnt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

valoren wrote: »
    Watching the The Story of Only Fools and Horses on UK Gold, I knew that Del Boy and Rodney's business was called Trotters Independent Trader's as it was clearly written on the side of the van, never copped that the acronym of it is TIT.

:pac:

Hence why that college in Kerry calls itself Institute of Technology Tralee and not Tralee Institute of Technology.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Hence why that college in Kerry calls itself Institute of Technology Tralee and not Tralee Institute of Technology.

Same thing it Tallaght.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

And Galway's college had to rebrand itself as Galway Mayo Institute of Technology, so the acronym wouldn't be GIT.

Worked well for Waterford to leave it as WIT!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,663 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

If that's the case I'm either three years old or 103...

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I think me an you have been using this for a long longer than others as mine is the same. In fact i dont think they even had internet banking back then. it was all phone banking.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Or maybe some banks use your DOB and some others don't.

New Home wrote: »
    Or maybe some banks use your DOB and some others don't.

Oh Yeah :) we're probably both with AIB.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

Mine's like that too, with AIB. I'd say for younger people, there's going to be more than 99 people with the same DOB, so they can't use that format

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 71,799 ✭✭✭✭Ted_YNWA

Ulster bank uses that format, AIB don't.

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    Ulster bank uses that format, AIB don't.

the format with your date of birth as the first 6 digits? AIB definitely use that format.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I'm with AIB and it's only the first four digits that are my DOB (date and month, but not the year).

the format with your date of birth as the first 6 digits? AIB definitely use that format.

This is becoming a fraudster paradise.

quickbeam wrote: »
    I'm with AIB and it's only the first four digits that are my DOB (date and month, but not the year).

You're just too young then :)

• Advertisement

Ted_YNWA wrote: »
    This is becoming a fraudster paradise.

not really. you dont know my date of birth. or the other digits. or the pin code.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I'm with AIB - either the DOB thing is a coincidence or they think I was born the 84th day of the 17th month.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 ludite

slim223 wrote: »
    I still don't get it :rolleyes:

To get to the other side could mean death. So the chicken crossed the road so that it would die when it was hit by a car

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭yeppydeppy

Kisser is a slang term for mouth - because it's the part of the body that does the kissing - D'oh!

Mine has full DOB.

DDMMYY, then two numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

not really. you dont know my date of birth. or the other digits. or the pin code.

...or DOES he?! :eek:

Obvious thing I realised the other day, the wireless logitech mice that a lot of people have for their laptops have a slot for the little usb receiver inside the mouse, so you don't lose it if you have to take it out of the laptop. I've had them for over 10 years and never noticed.

Obvious thing I realised the other day, the wireless logitech mice that a lot of people have for their laptops have a slot for the little usb receiver inside the mouse, so you don't lose it if you have to take it out of the laptop. I've had them for over 10 years and never noticed.

:eek:

I've just checked mine & found it too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,967 ✭✭✭Pyr0

I never knew until recently that a pickle was simply a "pickled" cucumber, a cucumber soaked in brine or vinegar. I always thought a pickle was a seperate vegetable!

:o

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

yeppydeppy wrote: »
    Kisser is a slang term for mouth - because it's the part of the body that does the kissing - D'oh!
    Like when you trip on your laces and fall on your snot.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 369 ✭✭Ineedaname

Holy **** there is and all:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10 KraftyKennedy

I'd always thought Shelbourne F.C was a premier league UK team and assumed that there was a city called Shelbourne in the UK.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 66 ✭✭TotalReality

Pyr0 wrote: »
    I never knew until recently that a pickle was simply a "pickled" cucumber, a cucumber soaked in brine or vinegar. I always thought a pickle was a seperate vegetable!

:o

Is it not a pickled gherkin,or are they the same thing??

They're still cucumbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Stephen Hawking is English, WTF?? Just watched The Theory of Everything, and it was clearly his voice generator's accent that had me assuming he was American.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭noveltea

Mine has full DOB.

DDMMYY, then two numbers.

Are the two numbers your house number as mine are and it's the same for other people I know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

That the song lyrics are not "homer has a lonely heart" but in fact "owner of a lonely heart" :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,042 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I always thought it was a hand glider.
    Only discovered its a hang glider.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭7 Seconds...

The TV show Murder, she wrote is called that because she wrote about murder. The penny has been waiting a very long time to finally drop for that one:D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

The TV show Murder, she wrote is called that because she wrote about murder. The penny has been waiting a very long time to finally drop for that one:D.

Wow ;-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

Some recent ones. Was bored and reading wiki and ended up reading about physics.

'Ray' of light. It's called that because it's from the source of a circular sphere and so is the distance from the centre to the perimeter of that circle i.e. the radius. Interesting. Then it hit me. Radius. Knowing light is an electromagnetic wave my mind is blown when I thought.....Radiation!!! Electromagnetic radiation. FFS! How did I never get that??

Also, reading about kinematics the branch of physics regarding motion.
    Motion. Motion Pictures? Kinematics? Cinema!!!! My god!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,675 ✭✭✭✭Ol' Donie

Sooo...what did you think it meant?

:)

Ol' Donie wrote: »

I'm pretty sure there's a book by Agatha Christie called "Murder, she said", too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,471 ✭✭✭7 Seconds...

Ol' Donie wrote: »

As silly as it sounds, I just never gave it any thought & it recently just registered in my head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

The henchmen in the Indiana Jones series is played by the same actor, Pat Roach. He actually has 4 parts in the 3 older movies:

http://indianajones.wikia.com/wiki/Pat_Roach

Omg... It's only the bleedin bomber!!!

Advertisement