Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What really obvious thing have you only just realised?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Doctors intentionally use bad handwriting to prevent forgery of prescriptions.

Does anyone know if this is true?

I always just assumed that the entire profession had dreadful handwriting.:pac:

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

If that were the case, anyone could scribble something. ;)

One of my old bosses (not a doctor, but could have been, based on his shorthand-like calligraphy) told me that he used to have a lovely handwriting up until college, then the pressure of him having to take so many notes during the classes spoil it irreparably. I'm not sure I believed him entirely...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Pyr0 wrote: »
    I never knew until recently that a pickle was simply a "pickled" cucumber, a cucumber soaked in brine or vinegar. I always thought a pickle was a seperate vegetable!

:o

I thought it was a dill.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Dill is one of the herbs used in certain pickles.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭NickNickleby

New Home wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure there's a book by Agatha Christie called "Murder, she said", too.

I think I remember a phrase "Murder, he cried!", at least when "Murder she wrote" first appeared I remember thinking what a clever twist on that phrase.

Google, here I come.

(which no doubt will become the basis for a series title in years to come. You saw it here first).

• Advertisement

You're very probably right, Nick. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,073 ✭✭✭Rubberlegs

Chocolate Kimberlys are Jacobs Kimberlys with chocolate on. I suppose the clue is in the name:)

The word holiday derives from "Holy Day". Maybe it did occur to me at some point but I don't *think* so ...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,943 ✭✭✭✭the purple tin

There's a Christmas forum on boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

since when? Its perfectly fine on its own or with a few cubes of ice.

You're supposed to mix milk in with Baileys.

My poor boyfriend politely drank it straight when I poured him a glass over Christmas.

Straight with ice is grand. Didn't know you were supposed to put milk in it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

What, now?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

I never knew until recently that a pickle was simply a "pickled" cucumber, a cucumber soaked in brine or vinegar. I always thought a pickle was a seperate vegetable!

this is blowing my mind. What about those small ones you see in jars in the supermarket. Like, 3 or 4 inches long.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    this is blowing my mind. What about those small ones you see in jars in the supermarket. Like, 3 or 4 inches long.
    Baby cucumbers!

I saw a "How's It Made" programme on this the other day - fascinating. As all those "how it's done" programmes are!

Ciaran_B wrote: »

gherkins. a variety of cucumber

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭FizzleSticks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

That "Lahvlahn" is live line in a Joe Duffy voice.

My brain always read it as "lava---wha? ah forget it" :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Get some pickle juice, get you some Jameson.
    You got you there a Pickleback.

Yes, they're awful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭eviltimeban

I realised this before, of course, but worth stating:

UNIcycle - one wheel

BIcycle - two wheels.

No one ever says "bi-cycle" though, the same way people say "uni-cycle". Or say "unicycle" the way we say "bicycle".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I don't even drink Bailey's but this has me curious, does it specifically say on the bottle to add milk?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,581 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

You're supposed to mix milk in with Baileys.

My poor boyfriend politely drank it straight when I poured him a glass over Christmas.

Nope, your boyfriend has it right. You've got it wrong and badly wrong too.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

I always thought that the "green dot" symbol on packaging meant that the packaging could be recycled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,633 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

valoren wrote: »
    Watching the The Story of Only Fools and Horses on UK Gold, I knew that Del Boy and Rodney's business was called Trotters Independent Trader's as it was clearly written on the side of the van, never copped that the acronym of it is TIT.

:pac:
    Saw an episode last week, where Del was in full yuppie mode, and was getting fliers printed for Trotter Independent Traders, with him down as Director in Charge, and was using all the yuppie acronyms available.

Rodney pointed out to him that that would make him the DIC in charge of the TIT.... he changed the fliers ðŸ˜

I always thought that the "green dot" symbol on packaging meant that the packaging could be recycled.

No, the triangle with the three arrows means it can be recycled, the green dot with the two arrows, if I remember correctly, means that it contains recycled material.

I realised this before, of course, but worth stating:

UNIcycle - one wheel

BIcycle - two wheels.

No one ever says "bi-cycle" though, the same way people say "uni-cycle". Or say "unicycle" the way we say "bicycle".

And TRIcycle and QUAD-bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭xabi

Ah here, no chance

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

that the Canterbury logo is three kiwi birds- mind blown when my daughter told me

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,441 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

No, the triangle with the three arrows means it can be recycled, the green dot with the two arrows, if I remember correctly, means that it contains recycled material.
    It actually doesn't even mean that. It basically means that they've paid money to Repak to use it.

https://www.repak.ie/for-business/members/become-a-repak-member/the-green-dot/

Overall, it's insane how little plastic packaging is recyclable. I had been putting packaging with the green dot in for recycling until I saw it next to a "not currently recycled" mark.

• Advertisement

I find it weird (and a real waste) that they accept certain plastic items but not others, even though they may have the same number and therefore be made by the same material!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

xabi wrote: »
    Ah here, no chance

Ffs the main ingredient is cream why would you throw milk on top of that!

Anyone want to hear some Baileys trivia?

Why don't diageo open some other plants in cheaper countries to maximise profits???... Because Irish dairy is unique and of a very high quality...

• Registered Users Posts: 36 greysheep

The letter W is a 'double U'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 265 ✭✭joewicklow

My sister thought for years that your mans name was Jimill Fixit and the show was named after him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

greysheep wrote: »

Double V no?

VV

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

AllForIt wrote: »

Double V no?

VV

That's how it's written but you say 'double-you', in the same way you say 'bee', 'em', 'zed/zee'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭AllForIt

FunLover18 wrote: »
    That's how it's written but you say 'double-you', in the same way you say 'bee', 'em', 'zed/zee'

Oh yeah never though of it like that ! Add that to things I've just realized ! : )

AllForIt wrote: »
    Double V no?

VV

it is double V in german.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

And French.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,033 ✭✭✭✭bnt

And French.
    And remember that written Latin used V where we use U: PUBLIVS JULIVS GRACCHVS and so on.

Appiuscaecusstele01.jpg

Death has this much to be said for it:
    You don’t have to get out of bed for it.
    Wherever you happen to be
    They bring it to you—free.

— Kingsley Amis

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Lies.

V is 'fow', W is 'vay'

• Advertisement

Lies.

V is 'fow', W is 'vay'

something must have changed in the 35 years since i learned that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,158 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

something must have changed in the 35 years since i learned that.

No . Its been V - fow
    And W - vay
    for a long long time ! Any German I know who are much older than 35 pronounce it fow and vay

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It takes longer to say "www" than "world wide web"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

I find it weird (and a real waste) that they accept certain plastic items but not others, even though they may have the same number and therefore be made by the same material!

Apparently its china's fault. They are the dustbin of the world ie we send them our rubbish and occasionally they get all uppity and reduce their contamination ratio. This week they dropped it a whole percent, the scallywags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,578 ✭✭✭Markcheese

It takes longer to say "www" than "world wide web"

Dunno if they still do, but the kiwis used to say dub-dub-dub makes sense but sounds daft...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Markcheese wrote: »
    Dunno if they still do, but the kiwis used to say dub-dub-dub makes sense but sounds daft...

French say "wey wey wey"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭LirW

English isn't my first language and I only realised a few days ago that Lemonade is called Lemonade because it's made from Lemon....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

I always knew peanuts were technically a legume but it was only recently pointed out that the the name is pea nut!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

French say "wey wey wey"
    Italians go "vu vu vu"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

I watched Breaking Bad and never realised the name Saul Goodman is a joke until I started watching Better Call Saul.

• Advertisement
Advertisement