Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What really obvious thing have you only just realised?

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I only realised this around Christmas when I rewatched it - Hogwarts as a word was "first" used in Labyrinth, where Jennifer Connelly mistakes the name Hoggle for Hogwart when she meets the creature at first.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,849 ✭✭✭764dak

The built-in calculator on my phone has trig but no inverse trig functions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

New Home wrote: »
    I only realised this around Christmas when I rewatched it - Hogwarts as a word was "first" used in Labyrinth, where Jennifer Connelly mistakes the name Hoggle for Hogwart when she meets the creature at first.

I vaguely remember JK crediting the name to a plant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

FunLover18 wrote: »
    I vaguely remember JK crediting the name to a plant.

Not deliberately though.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croton_capitatus

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭_Roz_

I only realized recently that the Count in Sesame Street was so-named not just because he's a vampire, but because he counts.

Yep, I'm dumb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

I watched Breaking Bad and never realised the name Saul Goodman is a joke until I started watching Better Call Saul.

A few years back a friend of mine got a solicitors letter from the office of Hugh. J. Ward.
    He thought it was a wind up...but no Hugh. J. Ward is an actual solicitors!!

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭js35

_Roz_ wrote: »
    I only realized recently that the Count in Sesame Street was so-named not just because he's a vampire, but because he counts.

Yep, I'm dumb.

That ba$tard used to scare the bejasus out of me when I was little :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3 DarkHoarse

The Fedex logo has an arrow in it

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Ciaran_B

In the episode of The Simpsons when Mr. Burns puts on a fake 'tache and tells people his name is Snrub, he is spelling Burns backwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,186 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

Self Contained Underwater Breathing Aparatus

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Katgurl

I don't think most of the things listed above were obvious. Perhaps I am stupider than most though.

Anyway here is mine -

I was shocked at how many fb friends this year suffering from the very rare virus influenza. Then I realised they have a flu.

_Roz_ wrote: »

Yep, I'm dumb.

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Sign language is different in every country. Like, deaf British people can't understand deaf Americans.

This literally only dawned on me as a possibility about 30 minutes ago, prompting a furious google search.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭Flincher

The name Tayto comes from the word potato. I had a sudden realisation while stuck behind a Tayto truck last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,375 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Knex. wrote: »
    Sign language is different in every country. Like, deaf British people can't understand deaf Americans.

This literally only dawned on me as a possibility about 30 minutes ago, prompting a furious google search.

I'm 27. And evidently, an idiot.

Doesnt make you an idiot, i only became aware of that in recent years and i thought nothing of it. Its just one of those things that if it doesnt impact of your life then why would you know much about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Katgurl wrote: »
    I don't think most of the things listed above were obvious. Perhaps I am stupider than most though.

Anyway here is mine -

I was shocked at how many fb friends this year suffering from the very rare virus influenza. Then I realised they have a flu.

Chances are, most of them had a cold, anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,515 ✭✭✭valoren

Ciaran_B wrote: »
    In the episode of The Simpsons when Mr. Burns puts on a fake 'tache and tells people his name is Snrub, he is spelling Burns backwards.

"I like the way Snrub thinks..."

Found out last night that the 'Harpo' from Oprah Winfrey's production company Harpo Productions is Oprah spelled backwards.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Knex. wrote: »
    Meanwhile in Northern Ireland ... there's both Irish Sign Language and British Sign Language.

BTW there's also Catholic and Protestant bats, different species live in different churches.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭donegaLroad

If your products are too reasonably priced, people think that there is something wrong with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Oprah's company is called Harpo which I've always known. Just realised it is Oprah spelled backwards.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Ciaran_B wrote: »

94510.jpg?b64lines=CiBCT1ksIFlPVSBBUkUgU0xPVy4gCiA=

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭21Savage

I know a girl who can't get her head around the fact white Americans are from Europe. She can get it with black people.She also can't comprehend that Mexicans and other central Americans are nothing like Spaniards.

url-8.jpeg?w=610

Typical Mexican look. You'd know straight away they weren't Spaniards. She also doesn't see them(Spanish) as 'white'. Really really annoys me. Cesar Azplicueta and Fernando Torres, Dani Rovira all have same complexion as Irish but all look typically Spanish. Torres and Rovira have long faces with close and beady eyes

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

What's the connection with the topic there?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

21Savage wrote: »
    I know a girl who can't get her head around the fact white Americans are from Europe. She can get it with black people.She also can't comprehend that Mexicans and other central Americans are nothing like Spaniards.

url-8.jpeg?w=610

Typical Mexican look. You'd know straight away they weren't Spaniards. She also doesn't see them(Spanish) as 'white'. Really really annoys me. Cesar Azplicueta and Fernando Torres, Dani Rovira all have same complexion as Irish but all look typically Spanish. Torres and Rovira have long faces with close and beady eyes
    Show her the boxer Canelo for Mexicans

nintchdbpict000348725171-e1503962347428.jpg?strip=all&w=960

And Iniesta for Spanish

220px-Andr%C3%A9s_Iniesta.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,508 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

It's "Phillip Schofield", not "Philip Scholfield"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,461 ✭✭✭Bubbaclaus

When I was a kid I used to think the 'No Credit' signs some shops would have up behind the counter meant that they didn't sell phone credit there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭21Savage

razorblunt wrote: »
    Show her the boxer Canelo for Mexicans

nintchdbpict000348725171-e1503962347428.jpg?strip=all&w=960

And Iniesta for Spanish

220px-Andr%C3%A9s_Iniesta.jpg

Canelo's both parents are full Spanish lineage and you can tell. He has no native American indigenous blood in him. I could tell he was Spanish straight away. He's ginger but his features are Spanish.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

21Savage wrote: »
    Canelo's both parents are full Spanish lineage and you can tell. He has no native American indigenous blood in him. I could tell he was Spanish straight away. He's ginger but his features are Spanish.

Spanish? If he was lining out in a Championship game for Kilmacud I wouldn’t look twice!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

razorblunt wrote: »
    Spanish? If he was lining out in a Championship game for Kilmacud I wouldn’t look twice!!

There is some ginger blood around the southern nations. Remember the Nero Emperor?

I've just copped after 15 years or more that Tenacious D means a firm grip of a Penis.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭pawdee

I was well into my 30s before I realised that misled was pronounced "missled". I thought it was pronounced "myzeld". I was obviously myzeld somewhere along the line. Luckily I never had occasion to read the word publicly. Strange because I've understood and have been using the word misled (and mislead) in conversation for many years.

I was also in my 30s before I realised that Tayto is derived from potato. If you look closely you'll notice that Mr Tayto resembles a peeled potato!

pawdee wrote: »
    I was well into my 30s before I realised that misled was pronounced "missled". I thought it was pronounced "myzeld". I was obviously myzeld somewhere along the line. Luckily I never had occasion to read the word publicly. Strange because I've understood and have been using the word misled (and mislead) in conversation for many years.

I was also in my 30s before I realised that Tayto is derived from potato. If you look closely you'll notice that Mr Tayto resembles a peeled potato!

His full name is Poe Tayto, isn't it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

That ad for Allianz with the blind marathon runner girl... I thought it was for Aldi!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Sarah Palin has the same surname as Michael Palin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I've just copped after 15 years or more that Tenacious D means a firm grip of a Penis.
    I'm pretty sure they got their name from an American Football commentator who would use the phrase "Tenacious D" when talking about a tenacious defence.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

sabat wrote: »
    Sarah Palin has the same surname as Michael Palin.

Do you think she measures up? (Or just Palin comparison)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭tupenny

I always thought "up the ante" was try harder / put more feckin effort in
    Til last weekend playing poker and some1 said "after this round antes are 40/80 "
    I was in awe!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

The same actor, John Rhys-Davies, played the dwarf Gimli in The Lord of the Rings

180?cb=20070726164348

and Indy's larger than life pal Sallah in the Indiana Jones movies.

indiana-jones-sallah_l.jpg?w=400

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

I'd always thought Shelbourne F.C was a premier league UK team and assumed that there was a city called Shelbourne in the UK.

In 2001 Shelbourne played a big UEFA cup game. Stands packed, TV cameras there

Except the game wasn’t real, it was against Harchester United for the British show Dream Team

It was even possible to buy Harchester United jerseys in shops in Dublin but they wouldnt stock League of Ireland jerseys! When a team that doesn’t exist is more popular than you something is going wrong

Video here ,including a young Wes Hoolihan. These days Shels are lucky to get 400-500 at a game

https://youtu.be/gHlLXHphB6Q

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

shaneon77 wrote: »
    I think they originated in a restaurant called buffalo.??

Nope. Created in the Anchor Bar in Buffalo, New York.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

The same actor, John Rhys-Davies, played the dwarf Gimli in The Lord of the Rings.

and Indy's larger than life pal Sallah in the Indiana Jones movies.

]

He also voiced Treebird in Lord of the Rings.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

mikemac2 wrote: »
    In 2001 Shelbourne played a big UEFA cup game. Stands packed, TV cameras there

Except the game wasn’t real, it was against Harchester United for the British show Dream Team

It was even possible to buy Harchester United jerseys in shops in Dublin but they wouldnt stock League of Ireland jerseys! When a team that doesn’t exist is more popular than you something is going wrong

Video here ,including a young Wes Hoolihan. These days Shels are lucky to get 400-500 at a game

https://youtu.be/gHlLXHphB6Q

Went to that, best and only LOI game i ever went to. I still remember the harchester keeper being terrible (Jamie Parker?) Though his on screen wife was gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

That I get a much more solid and reliable connection if I force my phone to use 3G only, rather than letting it try to connect to flaky 4G signal that we get at our house. Just found this out at the weekend while trying to set up a 4G broadband router, it's actually faster on 3G.

Now I can make and receive calls at home without having to constantly make apologies for the "bad line

Should have been obvious to me given my background in telecomms and RF systems, but i've been putting up with it for years.

100412.2526@compuserve.com

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    No . Its been V - fow
    And W - vay
    for a long long time ! Any German I know who are much older than 35 pronounce it fow and vay

I'm pretty sure they got their name from an American Football commentator who would use the phrase "Tenacious D" when talking about a tenacious defence.

I doubt that very much

I mean at face value it's correct but add the concept of duality of meaning and it's probably more accurate

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

The circle with the arrows on the back of packaging etc is a recycling symbol . I've been looking for the green triangle symbol :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭Zwillinge

Will Smith + Jada Pinkett
    =>
    Willow Smith + Jaden Smith

:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭Conall Cernach

I doubt that very much

I mean at face value it's correct but add the concept of duality of meaning and it's probably more accurate
    http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/08/movies/08john.html?n=Top/Reference/Times%20Topics/Subjects/M/Motion%20Pictures
    Mr. Black, 37, formed the musical comedy duo Tenacious D with Kyle Gass, 45, in 1994. Taking its name from the sportscaster Marv Albert’s description of strong defensive positioning on a basketball court — “They’re playing some tenacious dee”

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

The circle with the arrows on the back of packaging etc is a recycling symbol . I've been looking for the green triangle symbol :pac:

Actually, no, it's not. The triangle means recyclable, the circle (Green Dot) doesn't.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,391 ✭✭✭Mysteriouschic

New Home wrote: »
    Actually, no, it's not. The triangle means recyclable, the circle (Green Dot) doesn't.

Oh really learn something new everyday :o

• Advertisement
Advertisement