Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What really obvious thing have you only just realised?

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Pinch Flat wrote: »
    Due to my trusty idiot proof wine bottle opener falling apart last night, I learned how use a waiters wine opener. Like one of these.
    There was a Colombo mystery where they opened a bottle of wine with a CO2 injector thing.

Spike the cork, press the button and out she pops. Looked trés cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Due to my trusty idiot proof wine bottle opener falling apart last night, I learned how use a waiters wine opener. Like one of these.

http://m.wineenthusiast.com/le-capitano-waiter-style-corkscrew.asp

It’s got 2 stages - you screw in the cork screw, lever up the cork then use the next step to lever it out further. Magic. :)

I once found myself, many years ago, at a late-night impromptu party in a London newspaper office. We had lots of wine, but no bottle opener. A young female reporter opened 3 bottles of wine, using only her shoe, almost as fast as I could open one with a bottle opener. It remains to this day, one of the most impressive things I've ever seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

While impressive you survived that long, there's a shocker ;). No self-respecting server would call it a waiter's opener...

Such thing is...

418lVHPGaaL.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

grogi wrote: »
    While impressive you survived that long, there's a shocker ;). No self-respecting server would call it a waiter's opener...

Such thing is...

418lVHPGaaL.jpg

The one that Pinch Flat linked to is called a waiters friend so not far off. the one you pictured is not called a waiters wine opener. Unless you are going to a restaurant with really old bottles of wine (and hence old corks) the waiter will not have the opener you pictured. They will have the one that Pinch Flat linked to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,109 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Such thing is...

418lVHPGaaL.jpg

How are you supposed to open a bottle of wine with that?

• Advertisement

Quazzie wrote: »
    How are you supposed to open a bottle of wine with that?

slide the prongs down both side of the cork and twist as you pull it out. One of the names for it is a butlers friend because you can use it to remove the cork and put it back in without it being obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,008 ✭✭✭VandC

Internet = International network

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,510 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

VandC wrote: »
    Internet = International network

Nope, its inter-networking. Inter as in among, not inter as in international.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Oh no.

In my defense, I'm 45, I'm not quite "in" with all the youngsters music, and I don't know this guy's music, but I know I've seen his face before...
    ... I just realized Will.i.am = William.

I saw people incorporating the I am in usernames and all, saw the name lots of time, maybe heard it mostly instead of seeing it... I just never copped it.

The shame of it. I don't know what's wrong with me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

That it's Jurgen Klopp in the Opel advert.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Oh no.

In my defense, I'm 45, I'm not quite "in" with all the youngsters music, and I don't know this guy's music, but I know I've seen his face before...

I saw people incorporating the I am in usernames and all, saw the name lots of time, maybe heard it mostly instead of seeing it... I just never copped it.

Is.A.Twat

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

That it's Jurgen Klopp in the Opel advert.

Do you mean the one where they say "where's Jurgen Klopp"?:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,795 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Do you mean the one where they say "where's Jurgen Klopp"?:D
    Yes that should have been a give away. The pavlovian response to immediate change the channel when the ads start may account for some of the confusion.

Not my proudest moment...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭seagull

Oh no.

Blame Dr. Seuss's Green eggs and ham.

That Sam I am, that Sam I am
    I do not like that Sam I am

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

seagull wrote: »
    Blame Dr. Seuss's Green eggs and ham.

That Sam I am, that Sam I am
    I do not like that Sam I am

do you like them on a boat , do you like them with a Goat?

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Lawlesz

Arkansas and Arkinsaw are not two different states.

I used to see Arkansas written down and assumed it was pronounced as it reads. You'd often hear 'Arkinsaw' mentioned on TV or radio, and I assumed it was a whole separate state.

It's not.

I'm not actually that stupid normally.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Gravelly wrote: »
    I once found myself, many years ago, at a late-night impromptu party in a London newspaper office. We had lots of wine, but no bottle opener. A young female reporter opened 3 bottles of wine, using only her shoe, almost as fast as I could open one with a bottle opener. It remains to this day, one of the most impressive things I've ever seen.

the "shoe trick" is notoriously dangerous

http://www.slate.com/blogs/browbeat/2014/04/03/wine_bottle_shoe_trick_more_dangerous_than_it_looks_on_youtube.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,145 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Self Contained Underwater Breathing Aparatus

Scuba dive gear, especially the breathing air intake valve, was invented by Jacques Costeau* the french marine biologist and TV star (The Undersea World of Jacques Costeau 1966 - 1976)

* Along with his business partner Emille Gagnan.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

The name of Top Cat is a play on the phrase top dog, ie, leader of the gang.

ki5_SNkH_400x400.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭illdoit2morrow

Not quite 'just realised', but pretty recently.

Football scores on a TV screen during a match, the home team is listed to the left, away team to the right.

I'm 44.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭FishOnABike

Ger Roe wrote: »
    Scuba dive gear, especially the breathing air intake valve, was invented by Jacques Costeau* the french marine biologist and TV star (The Undersea World of Jacques Costeau 1966 - 1976)

* Along with his business partner Emille Gagnan.

We're lucky it's not called ARISM gear then (Appareil respiratoire isolant sous-marine).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,972 ✭✭✭mikemac2

Not quite 'just realised', but pretty recently.

Football scores on a TV screen during a match, the home team is listed to the left, away team to the right.

I'm 44.

Yep but wait until you watch American sports. They don't use versus, they use the venue

Dublin vs Cork becomes Cork @ Dublin for an example.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

The destruction of the liver is a primary effect of Hepatitus

The destruction of the liver is a primary effect of Hepatitus

Obvious if you know the latin for liver is hepar.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

I used to wonder why innocuous videos like '10 hours of rain' would have hundreds of down-votes on YouTube - I've only just realised that it's most likely people who are trying to manipulate YouTube's algorithm so it offers a selection of videos more in line with their interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mackmatic

Myself and the Mrs had a eureka moment the other day in traffic after work.

I never realized I didn't understand what "Pot calling the Kettle Black" meant.

I always assumed it meant someone had a black pot and a black kettle, so calling the other one balck was hypocritical.

Where they actually are both used for heating water.

Felt like a right pair of Eejits mixed with amazement :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

No, that's still not it. How does "calling the kettle black" == heating water? :confused:

It comes from when food was cooked over open fires, your steel pot and kettles would be blackened with soot over time. Thus criticising the state of the kettle for being dirty and sooty is ignoring the fact that you too are also dirty and sooty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

seamus wrote: »
    No, that's still not it. How does "calling the kettle black" == heating water? :confused:

It comes from when food was cooked over open fires, your steel pot and kettles would be blackened with soot over time. Thus criticising the state of the kettle for being dirty and sooty is ignoring the fact that you too are also dirty and sooty.

How do you do it Seamus, 60k posts and every one of them on the nail.

Boards legend..

By the way is there a ‘Boards Hall of Fame’..... shoo in .. might start a thread on that.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

It's also where the term blackguard comes from; people who used to look after all the dirty/black cooking utensils.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭Peatys

Oh no.

Wait till you cop on to Flo Rida.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Mackmatic

For fcks sake hahaha. I'll tell the Mrs on Monday...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,035 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

I used to wonder why innocuous videos like '10 hours of rain' would have hundreds of down-votes on YouTube - I've only just realised that it's most likely people who are trying to manipulate YouTube's algorithm so it offers a selection of videos more in line with their interests.

Unless they have them in the background as white noise to drown out other sounds when they try to sleep.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

New Home wrote: »
    Unless they have them in the background as white noise to drown out other sounds when they try to sleep.

Yes, I sometimes use them to help me drop off. I just wondered why they had thousands of thumbs-down clicks and figured that it's people who've been directed to the video by YouTube and clicked 'thumbs-down' in an attempt to manipulate its 'suggestions' algorithm.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Robsweezie

spotify is free in its basic form, you just have to put up with crappy ads.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,556 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Robsweezie wrote: »
    spotify is free in its basic form, you just have to put up with crappy ads.
    You also can't download for use offline (or at least I think you can't, I've only the haziest grasp of the whole thing tbh, but have a free account from Vodafone)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,778 ✭✭✭✭thesandeman

That there is such a thing as deep fried butter. Also deep fried ice cream.

I WANT!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

The Canterbury logo is a kiwi bird

FFS
    I cant believe ive only copped this today..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,975 ✭✭✭✭Mam of 4

That there is such a thing as deep fried butter. Also deep fried ice cream.

I WANT!!!

There is a series on Netflix , where everything is deepfried , sandwiches, desserts , etc .

Crazy competition , but so worth watching !

It's called Deep Fried Masters :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Ipso wrote: »
    It's also where the term blackguard comes from; people who used to look after all the dirty/black cooking utensils.

That makes no sense as blackguard is a serious insult?

ah this makes more sense

https://www.whygo.com/ireland/irish-slang-blackguard.html

and this

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/18043/what-is-the-etymology-of-blackguard-does-this-british-sounding-word-have-subt

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,067 ✭✭✭368100

Saw this on facebook earlier..

The saying "Be there or be square" is because you're not a-round.......hmmm

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,615 ✭✭✭grogi

Wilkinson Quattro has a fifth blade...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭troyzer

FFS
    Wilkinson Quattro has a fifth blade...

Holy. ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Peatys wrote: »
    Wait till you cop on to Flo Rida.

I only copped yesterday that the Florida panhandle is called that because it looks just like...............the handle.............of a pan. Mind blown. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,750 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    I only copped yesterday that the Florida panhandle is called that because it looks just like...............the handle.............of a pan. Mind blown. :rolleyes:

And the ‘pan’ is the rest of the USA.

Like a griddle .

How did it take you so long?

Next thing you will be saying you don’t know what a 3di freeway is.

Jeez dude!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,468 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

FFS

Well fu(k me

Never saw it myself until now. I just saw three fancy Cs :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

lawred2 wrote: »
    Well fu(k me

Never saw it myself until now. I just saw three fancy Cs :D

Looks to me more like three arms raised with biceps bulging.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,889 ✭✭✭iptba

That a fada over a vowel in Irish means it is a long vowel sound (from “fada” meaning “long”). I realised this in sixth year in school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

quickbeam wrote: »
    Looks to me more like three arms raised with biceps bulging.

Look again!!
    Kiwi coming from the right of the circle

I cant believe id missed it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 36 Shower Doctor

Mary Reilly mother was Teresa’s sister.

• Advertisement
Advertisement