Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I have a pretty good .ie domain name I want to sell

Options
  • 22-12-2012 11:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hi everyone. I've got a .ie domain name I registered a few years ago and I think I could get a few quid for it, however I'm aware of all the redtape/bs surrounding the .ie domains and I'm just wondering what's the easiest way I can sell it/transfer it safely.

I think I registered it with Host Ireland. I can't remember
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,763 Mod ✭✭✭✭ToxicPaddy

Hi everyone. I've got a .ie domain name I registered a few years ago and I think I could get a few quid for it, however I'm aware of all the redtape/bs surrounding the .ie domains and I'm just wondering what's the easiest way I can sell it/transfer it safely.

I think I registered it with Host Ireland. I can't remember

Don't think its possible.. Or maybe it is, but I think the domain has to be registered to a company and if you sell the company then the domain can be sold with it, but from what I believe, its to discourage domain squatters.

Have a look at this previous thread in Boards about it.

Link here

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭nodgienodge

Thanks for the response.

Basically I registered my own company back in 2007 to sell gadgets to the Irish market. I wanted the .ie domain so that's why I registered because otherwise I had no way of getting a .ie and I'd have to use a .net (which I used for the first while). I got the .ie name no probs cause the domain name matched the company name word for word.

I didn't put much effort into this business, made few sales, got bored pretty quickly, but then I had another idea for a website (well actually one I already had up and running, but again it was only on the (even crappier) .ws domain extension.

Wanting the .ie name as it was a short snappy domain and easily rememberable, I submitted a letter to the hosting company explaining why I had a "claim" on this extra domain as it related to my primary business domain. The claim went through no problem and I was granted the domain.

OK to cut a long story short fast-forward 4 (or 5) years and the primary domain has long expired and I'm still left with the extra domain (the short snappy one) until some time in 2014.

Since the company never made any profit I never paid any taxes but it's still a legal entity under Irish law, and has assets, one of which is this domain. If I were to sell my entire company (including assets) as a way of transferring the domain to the buyer would the law have any problems with this? Seems perfectly above board to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭stapolinhosting

If I were to sell my entire company (including assets) as a way of transferring the domain to the buyer would the law have any problems with this? Seems perfectly above board to me.

There is no reason why you cant do it that way.

Basically, what you need to do after the sale of the company is contact the domain registrar, and let them you sold the business which includes the domain name, they will ask for the contact details of the new owner and contact them to formally transfer the domain....

Thats how a girl in letshost explained it to me about 2 years ago when I was inquiring about a clients domain name.

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭flynnlives

what is the domain name?

flynnlives wrote: »
    what is the domain name?
    I'd rather not say atm

• Advertisement

<snip>

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

There is a process for changing the holder of a .ie domain name:
    https://www.iedr.ie/transfer-domain-holder/

If the IEDR suspect you are selling the domain, however, they have been known to cancel domains for breach of policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭stapolinhosting

Blacknight wrote: »
    There is a process for changing the holder of a .ie domain name:
    https://www.iedr.ie/transfer-domain-holder/

If the IEDR suspect you are selling the domain, however, they have been known to cancel domains for breach of policy.

There is indeed, I was just giving the 'quick version' as I was in a hurry..

The buyer will need to produce the business reg cert showing the new owner/director name and business contact details, and a signed letter too.

Advertisement