Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you let your pets sleep in your bed?

• 23-12-2012 3:41am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,085 ✭✭✭

Tonight I am in my single bed with my dog(boxer) and two cats. This is a very rare occurrence as the dog is usually allowed only to sleep in his bed in the floor of my room, one of the cats is a rip for waking people up at the night so usually it's just the older one and that's not every night.

But tonight the older cat was already asleep and the younger cat refused to go out to the utility room where she usually sleeps so we started off with just the two of them but himself was very forlorn looking and kept coming over and putting his head under the blankets so I left him up. I'm fairly squished but boy am I warm and toasty.

I know that some people would find it disgusting that would allow any animal to sleep in my bed never mind say three but I don't think it's disgusting at all, I just have to change the sheets more often. Just wondering if anyone else does this. I have to say its quite nice just the four of us all cuddled up. Do people think its a bad habit to give them? Any issues etc. what's your opinion on this?

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I've had older dogs who did this.

And I'd a cat who liked to crawl under the duvet and snuggle

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,412 ✭✭✭toadfly

I rarely do but brought Lex up with us tonight as she is lonely without the small dogs. Worst nights sleep of my life so far with the storm and her waking me. She's usually fine but the weather must be annoying her. She's now back in her crate in the kitchen and I cant sleep.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,555 ✭✭✭Sar_Bear

Yup my jack russell is cuddled up here with me now :D

I don't care what anyone else says, it's my bed, my choice.

Best thing ever is waking up in the morning and she's standing there, tail goin ninety and pouncing around the bed, all happy that we're awake :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 332 ✭✭Kali_Kalika

I don't think I really have a lot of say where the animals sleep! :rolleyes:

I'm outnumbered! I'm afraid if I try to usurp them, I'll be sleeping out in the dog bed! :eek:

There's an official sleeping order, they put it in place, not me! The cat sleeps on the bottom of the bed on the "empty" side (where my feet are not) and the dog stretches out full length on the rest of that side of the bed, and she'll manage during the night to get all the way up and sleep with her head on the pillow. Oh, did I mention I treated myself to a memory foam mattress? They do love their creature comforts! :rolleyes: My only regret is not buying 2 king size beds! With just the one, I only get a slice of it!

But as someone else said - my bed, my rules. Well, ok ok, their rules! :D And I wouldn't have it any other way. I save a fortune on electric blankets and the joyous collie setter face looking at me, waiting for me to wake up, and when I do dare open my eyes, the whole bed bounces with her joy that another day is starting, I just wish I shared half her enthusiasm some mornings!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,003 ✭✭✭SillyMangoX

Usually my cats sleep in the utility but if my parents are away for a few days I bring them into the room. Usually cream gets under the duvet with me then when he gets hot he sleeps on top of the duvet behind the crook of my knee. Peach usually lies on the pillows and grooms my head :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

uh I was just "googling" that to understand if "I am doing something wrong".
    I teached to sleep in the crate next to my bed to my puppy dog..
    for two weeks..
    now it's two days that he is sleeping with me in my bed.
    No problem, he sleeps all the night and my previous dog was allowed on the bed as well.
    I have no problem with that... I was just wondering if it's wrong for education / health / etc

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭teggers5

My three dogs and one of the cats sleep in my bed and I wouldn't have it any other way. The dogs even sleep under the covers. There's nothing nicer on a cold night than snuggling up to them.
    Sometimes my 10 year old son and I argue over who gets the dogs in their bed!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,323 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

We ended up going from 160cm to 180cm mattress to give our cats space to sleep on. They will run to the bed when they see us turning of lights and sit there waiting to confirm we're really going to sleep.

Tiggy will go up to my wife's head, turn around and present herself ready for cuddles every single night. She'll then once my wife falls asleep go sleep at a pillow we got at the end of the bed overlooking us. Alice will usually come between us, then go up on the bed frame looking down at us and greet me in the morning when I'm waking up by mjauing in my face (or if the food bowl is empty that will be done at any time of the night).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭EireIceMan

No,
    There has to be some bounderies, they are animals at the end of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 838 ✭✭✭bluecherry74

EireIceMan wrote: »
    No,
    There has to be some bounderies, they are animals at the end of the day.

But so are we. :)

"Technically" the dogs aren't supposed to sleep on the bed, but more often than not Jess will sneak up while I'm in the bathroom and pretend to be sound asleep when I come out. The cats... Well, they're cats. You just don't tell them what they can and can't do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,138 ✭✭✭orchidsrpretty

I let all mine sleep on my bed. One cat sits waiting for me to open my eyes for cuddles. Sometimes I have to "pretend" I am sleeping so she will leave me alone!.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

One of our cats loves to sleep on the bed and often races up to cuddle with us at night. Our other cat dashes up the stairs every morning when he hears me up. He waits in the bedroom for me to get on the bed. If I don't go back to bed for a few minutes he gets very disappointed. He has to have a sprawl and a purr fest and to cuddle up and have lots of fuss. It's a morning ritual now. He loves to snuggle in to the crook of my husbands knees in bed during the day when my husband is working nights. You'd never believe he was a terrrified little feral critter once upon a time:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 218 ✭✭kinkygirl

Ha, we don't have a choice. In fact, our two fur kids are kind enough to allow us to share the bed with them. Our Jack Russell x is a real snuggler, and likes to sleep squooshed up against you.
    They are family, and we wouldn't have it any other way. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

No choice I'm afraid. Dog initially slept in his crate and the cat slept on the bed.

Then the cat passed, we had the very cold winter of 2010, so we allowed the dog to sleep with us as the kitchen was too cold. The rest, as they say is history! Dog obviously thought if the bed was good enough for the cat, then there's no reason why he should miss out!! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

When I worked nights I used to bring the dogs up to bed with me during the day, I felt bad on them being downstairs on their own during the day and they were only too happy to lull me to sleep with their snores. I felt too that it was a safety thing. I wore earplugs and used to worry about a fire breaking out or someone coming into the house with me oblivious in the bed!

The cat sleeps with me when my husband isn't home, but he often doesn't sleep for the whole night and wakes up to go into the hall for a bite to eat then toddles off to his own bed. I think I annoy him tossing and turning.

The last time I visited my parents I allowed Phoe sleep on the bed with me. He spent the night snuffling up the bed until his nose was squashed to my face. Then he'd snore on me until I moved him, then he'd snuffle back up again. I woke up the next morning with him curled on the pillow like a cat. I felt very loved and very tired!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 583 ✭✭✭brrabus

Both of my cats sleep on the bad, well one often sleeps in the bed with her head on the pillow. Whoever gets the best spot on the bed, usually curled up just under the pillow will depend on which one gets there first. If I turn over, the girl cat gets up and follows me and she will stay on the bed until I get up. She usually stays there all night but the boy sometimes disappears off and sits on the stairs. My mum hates it and cannot understand how I can let them sleep on the bed. As I say to her, it is my bed, my choice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭TooManyDogs

None of mine sleep in the bed, mind you if I could get away with not having hubby sleeping in the bed and have the whole kingsize to myself that would suit me better still :D

The couple of occasions when hubby was away that I let all 6 upstairs it was a disaster, the 2 terriers disappear under the duvet, 1 dog wanted to sleep on top of me, another plastered up to my side, there was always someone standing on one of the terriers they couldn't see cos they were under the duvet so there was growling. It lasted about 1 hour before I blew a fuse and ordered everyone downstairs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,499 ✭✭✭Tipperary animal lover

In my bed there's myself my partner two German Shepards a spaniel and two cats that sleep up on the pillows, once you get into bed you have to make yourself comfy and stay in that position all night unless one of my babies get to hot and get of the bed, you'd be coughing fur balls the next morning but wouldn't have it any other way!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Dunny

Had lola up last night, the gale force winds scared the crap out of her so took her up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭ShaShaBear

Shadow sleeps in the bed under the duvet with his head on the pillow. He'll lie on his back if it's just me, but if OH is here he'll lie on his side and be little spoon with his daddy :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

the odd night she would, ld love to have my dog every night but shes a bit fussy :/ love the company! cant understand how some people can leave their dogs outside in some old wooden shed in the cold :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭stop animal cruelty

ShaShaBear wrote: »
    Shadow sleeps in the bed under the duvet with his head on the pillow. He'll lie on his back if it's just me, but if OH is here he'll lie on his side and be little spoon with his daddy :D

omg thats so cutteeeee! l wish my dog was like that!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭morton

There'd be no room in my bed with my lot - its hard enough getting room in their own bed!

I can just about tolerate the doggy farts in the kitchen, so definitely no. Plus my lot always find the fox poo to roll in so they always stink!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Out of interest is it mostly [not all] females who allow their pets in the bed. I could be well off but it seems that way to me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I only have guinea pigs and a hamster, so no! But when I used to come home from college I used to let the dog sleep on the end of my bed. It was only for a night or two every few months and he used to be really clingy to me while was home. He never used to try to get into anyone else's bed and he's too old now, his hips are starting to go :(

When I get a dog in the future, I don't plan on letting him into my bed, though. I value a full night's sleep too much!

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

Our dog sleeps with us, it's usually a race to get to bed first but he always wins and settles himself so we have to fit in around him.. Wouldn't have it any other way though :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭tazwaz

Vojera wrote: »
    When I get a dog in the future, I don't plan on letting him into my bed, though. I value a full night's sleep too much!

I don't know about anyone else but our dog doesn't move a muscle at night, except for the lack of space in the bed u wouldn't know he was there :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭angeline

My cat has a lovely big bed with a soft blanket outside my bedroom but every night she jumps on to the bed and straight under the duvet and snuggles up beside me for about an hour, really cute!

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭KingIsabella

If mines in the bed she'll curl up in the crick o my knee and not budge for the night! Sometimes she's happy out fallin asleep in her own bed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Odysseus wrote: »
    Out of interest is it mostly [not all] females who allow their pets in the bed. I could be well off but it seems that way to me.

The way it works here is if one of us is away then the dogs sleep in the bed. I was away week before last and himself had the two in the bed with him. Works both ways when he's away they come in with me. They usually come in for a cuddle before bedtime and first thing in the morning as well, but a full night with the 4 of us in the bed is just too uncomfortable!

Advertisement