Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you let your pets sleep in your bed?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

I just have the one cat and he won't sleep in the house. He'd fall asleep on the bed alright but then about 3am he'd wake up cracking up to go out. So now I just put him out every night before I go to bed.

The only time he stayed in, and there wasn't a peep out of him, was the Winter 2010/2011 snow!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

tazwaz wrote: »

I don't know about anyone else but our dog doesn't move a muscle at night, except for the lack of space in the bed u wouldn't know he was there :-)

It might be individual from dog to dog. Oscar (our dog at home) was really bad for moving and getting up in the night for a wander and then coming back into the bed. I used to be wrecked going back to college but I loved him snuggling into my feet so I hadn't the heart to kick him out. I wouldn't have been able to let him do it if I was home every night, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭DaisyD2

When I first got Daisy I said I wasn't giving her bad habits by letting her into bed, grew up with Yorkies & it was always a nono to let them upstairs But.... she was all of 1.5lb so I kept her bed by mine. Initially she was either fine or I slept through it but pretty soon I was getting woken up a lot by this little jumping jack beside bed so I bought a crate........ Anybody seen Houdini Puppy on YouTube?

Wish I'd seen it before I bought the crate! (Not crates fault but shes small)

I liked the idea of a home away from home for her cos she stays my parents a bit, she however wasn't happy with being separated & managed to open food hatch in the night & get stuck halfway out.... she Howled the place down & gave me such a fright she was smothered in hugs when I got her out of it & we fell asleep in "my" bed which the little Divas never been far from since! She even has a step to help her in & out of it because she knocked out her knee trying to get back up! All my own fault & wouldn't have it any other way now :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭mosi

The two terriers sleep in the bed...one under the duvet and one up at (and sometimes on) the pillow. The big mastiff mix sleeps on his own bed in the bedroom, just because there wouldn't be enough room for him in the bed as well!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,270 ✭✭✭✭gammygils

Only when the missus is away. The dog sleeps at the end of the bed!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

The golden retriever snores and farts like a man after 10 pints of Guinness so no is the answer

He has a lovely bed in the living room.
    He seems to sleep about 12 hours a day anyway!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 2,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭angeldaisy

When our collie was a puppy he slept between us in the bed, but when I was pregnant we decided he needed his own bed. He now sleeps next to our bed and the terrier sleeps in her crate once I've gone to bed. They've 5 beds between them so it's comical at times!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭12gauge dave

Our boxer sleeps in parents double bed!
    She wont sleep in single beds not enough space for her to relax!ha
    She also lies down on couch all day and when going in car demands front seat!ha
    its some sight car going down the road with my dad driving a boxer sat upright in passenger seat and my mum in the back!ha

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Uncle Frank

My dog usually starts the night down the end of the bed, but most mornings when I wake up he's curled around the top of my head on the pillow waiting for me to wake up.

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Tripp

Came in 1 night after being out all day and my Akita Lola is in my bed haha

http://img208.imageshack.us/img208/7473/imag1451o.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭maggiepip

All 3 of our dogs sleep on the bed - in fact we have a single bed beside the double as an extension cos they take up too much room:o

Cant seem to find a pic of Pip the Lab on the bed - heres the other 2:D

018.JPG

005.JPG

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

Well if everybody is going to post a pic of their dog in bed...

This has been my screensaver for the past while. Benson snuggled under my chin and Coco draped over him!

123.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭blueturnip

Yes, we let the little furballs in.

Usually only one sleeps at the bottom of the bed, but have woken up to all 3 cats on us or the bed! :)

Sure they keep the feet warm!

• Registered Users Posts: 792 ✭✭✭Ziegfeldgirl27

Absolutely no way do my pets sleep in my bed. My dog snores, and my cat doesn't give me enough space.

My old cat used to sleep in my bed, but he would sleep at the bottom of it so he didn't disturb me as much as my current pets do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

He has is own bed on the floor in my parents bedroom. But if they are away or whatever then yes he sleeps with me on my bed. No idea why, but it has to be on my bed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭pat_cork

Snip-No need for comments like that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

My two toms are very generous, they let me sleep in their bed...well...they took over my bed :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

pat_cork wrote: »
    think that animals are equal to humans.

Ah now that's a load of rubbish Pat. Some animals are better than some people.

Merry Christmas to you too! I hope you're having a lovely day and your post is not a reflection of someone who's having a crappy, bitter Christmas!

Now I'm off to snuggle up on the duvet on the floor with my 2 boys. (If they left me on their bed that is!! They don't be in the bathroom with me so may be dubious about my hygiene habits :eek:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Wild_Dogger

I remember trying to coax Elmo off my bed by getting into his dog box.

Must have nodded off during the process , as I awoke the next morning curled up in the basket whilst looking up to see Elmo (black lab) splurges out on my comfy duvet :)

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Ms. Chanandler Bong

pat_cork wrote: »
    Why would anyone want to have a pet in bed? When was the last time any of you saw a pet wipe its hole?
    I've been reading this forum for the last couple of weeks and I reckon that most of the regular posters have some sort of a mental illness where they think that animals are equal to humans.

Happy Christmas
    Pat

Emmm....I've never actually seen anyone wipe their hole. I assume we all do of course, I've just never been a fan of that level of intimacy that I would actually watch someone doing a #2 then wiping themselves afterwards.

On topic, my dog begins the night sleeping on my arm before moving under the duvet but over the sheet during the night as she gets too warm.
    All thus is when the OH isn't around. He doesn't approve At All. :(

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,571 ✭✭✭newmug

Do any of you's get fleas? How do you stop the sheets from harbouring them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

newmug wrote: »
    Do any of you's get fleas? How do you stop the sheets from harbouring them?

The pets are treated for fleas regularly. I personally wash them in a medicated shampoo, others would use spot on. And I regularly check them. If they were to bring fleas into the house I think I'd treat the bedroom anyway in case I had managed to carry some up on my clothes. Although in 12 years with the cat and 4 with the dog we've never had an issue as we keep on top of it.

In saying that I'd probably be sick at the thought of fleas in my bed. Eugh!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,188 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

It's important to use a comb and check them for fleas. My Sam spends nearly every night on my bed. He's an awful mover though, he never sleeps in the same spot for more than a few hours, and I'm a light sleeper!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭blue note

Usually cream gets under the duvet with me

I pray your pet is called cream!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭Wild_Dogger

Dogs as a social pack animal (like ourselves) feel secure when they can rest or sleep whilst physically touching their partner or master etc.

They can rest happily in the knowledge that if you move they will know about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Our boxer...
    its some sight car going down the road with my dad driving a boxer sat upright in passenger seat and my mum in the back!ha

I'd swear I must have seen your parents driving around 12gauge dave, Mr Mountains and I were in bits after seeing a man drive a car looking absolutely normal, with a big boxer staring straight ahead sitting upright like a human in the front seat. That was hilarious :D:D:D

Our little shih tzu cross sits on the front seat too whenever given a chance, but you could hardly spot him.

He sleeps on our bed too.

My 9 year old cat has been too, most of his life, but now has decided, what with us kicking and moving about too much, and the dog there, that he prefers the comfort of the sofa near the warm stove. He does call in for a cuddle at bedtime, and then retires for the night.

Some cold nights if the stove runs out too early, he'll finish the night under the duvet right between us, human style.

The dog won't cuddle, he prefers the feet, kicking or no kicking.

The hygiene argument doesn't hold for me : are we pet bed sharing people sicker than others ? I don't think so.
    I can safely say that neither cat or dog wipe their backsides after going to the toilet, but I don't have any more vomitting bugs or diarrhea than anyone else, neither does Mr M.

My two are treated for fleas and worms on a regular basis so really that's not an issue. The dog gets bathed at home or gets a day spa at the groomers when he gets too smelly so not an issue either.

It's so lovely to have them with us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 I smell bad!!!

My terrier sleeps has his own basket beside the bed, but usually jumps into the bed at around 7am for a cuddle. If the girlfriend is not at home he'll sleep in the bed under the duvet. If I'm away he sleeps at the end of the bed with the girlfriend.
    At time like Halloween with bangers going off he will sleep under the duvet with us usually between us.
    The cat sleeps in the sitting room on his leather couch. Sometimes he does sleep in the bedroom. There was another dog staying in the house the other night and he was a bit stressed so he slept in our room. The only draw back is though he jumps on your head at least 5-6 times during the night looking for hugs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,766 ✭✭✭juan.kerr

No. The cat sleeps in the garage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭Cheshire Cat

No. A snoring husband is bad enough. If I had two snoring dogs in the bed as well I wouldn't get any sleep at all :o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,119 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

IvySlayer wrote: »
    It's important to use a comb and check them for fleas. My Sam spends nearly every night on my bed. He's an awful mover though, he never sleeps in the same spot for more than a few hours, and I'm a light sleeper!
    My dad works away alot and our dog never settles when he is away. Hes always looking to go out of the room or just constantly moving around the room

Advertisement