Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you let your pets sleep in your bed?

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,780 ✭✭✭alie

Tonight the dog got there first, the cat is on my sons bed, snoopy will be here till hubby comes up then she will get in my daughters bed,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭pampootie

My dog sleeps with us every so often. I like it, I sleep on my side and he tucks himself up into a ball behind my knees, it's very cosy. If my oh is away he sleeps with his head on his pillow and the duvet up to his shoulder like a small furry surrogate boyfriend. :)

I don't get the worry about germs. He's in around the house all evening, on the couches etc, how would having him on the bed be any worse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭pawrick

I don't mind a pet sleeping in he same room once it's clean - it should be noted though that if your personal sleeping arrangements change having a pet moved out on random nights can cause trouble if it gets used to sleeping in your room / or it might keep the other person awake. So imo - it's no real harm once clean but bear in mind the person you share a bed with if you do.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I wouldn't even let them in the house, let alone sleep in my bed. It's disgusting. Very unhygienic...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I wouldn't even let them in the house, let alone sleep in my bed. It's disgusting. Very unhygienic...

What a horrible opinion you have of pets. Not even let them in the house? I'd hate to live like that. Very unfeeling, why get a pet if you're going to exclude them from your home?

Funny how civilizatation has managed to survive thousands of years with pets living in their homes, as part of their lives, yet some people are of the opinion that they're dirty creatures and may harm them in some way with germs or bacteria. You're far more likely to catch something from handling money or using a public toilet. Even when you wash your hands, the door handle on the way out is one of the dirtiest things in a public bathroom, along with the handryer.

I admit there's vastly differing opinions on this thread and everybody is entitled to their opinion, but.. there's a reason why diseases like asthma and dust allergies and hay fever are so prevalent these days. It's partly genetic but also partly environmental and the completely over the top sterile, overly hygienic, practically germ free homes that some people insist on living in. Generations ago, the odd child had asthma or an allergy, these days it's every other child. We've gone overboard with 'standards' and the use of chemical cleaners that claim to kill 99.9% of germs throughout the home. (and to be honest the marketing companies are completely to blame for this)

http://vitals.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/08/14301214-is-it-possible-to-be-too-clean-researchers-say-yes?lite

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,865 ✭✭✭Mrs Garth Brooks

I sometimes let the dog sleep with me. The problem is she takes up all the bed, I cant sleep properly.

Then the dog likes the duvet on her and if if the duvet slips off, she will get back under. But to get under the duvet, it involves her walking up the bed, to your neck and lifting the duvet of you to get under. It happens a few times every night. I hardly sleep with the dog at all.

I do let the cat in. He's no bother except he's an indoor and outdoor cat. He wants to come in whenever he's home, so he'll meow on the window outside even at 4 in the morning. But I feel so sorry for him.

I get woken up by the cat with him sticking his whiskers in my face. They're so tickly. Every morning. So hard to be mad at him for waking me, when he makes you laugh instead.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,423 ✭✭✭tinkerbell

I'd be in the no pets in bed camp. My bedroom is my personal space so sleeping in the same bed or even room is off limits for me. Each to their own though, your bed your rules. Just wondering though, for those of you who do allow all your pets in the bed with you, what would happen should you have a baby? Obviously you cannot have a baby sleeping in the same room as your pets for the time when the baby is too young to sleep in his/her own bedroom. What happens then? Would suddenly demoting your dogs/cats back to the kitchen or whatever not cause resentment towards the newborn since it'd be a huge change in routine for your pet?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 742 ✭✭✭jsabina

why the baby cannot sleep in the same room? I mean, not in the same bed, but in the same room?
    sorry I am not expert :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

tinkerbell wrote: »
    I'd be in the no pets in bed camp. My bedroom is my personal space so sleeping in the same bed or even room is off limits for me. Each to their own though, your bed your rules. Just wondering though, for those of you who do allow all your pets in the bed with you, what would happen should you have a baby? Obviously you cannot have a baby sleeping in the same room as your pets for the time when the baby is too young to sleep in his/her own bedroom. What happens then? Would suddenly demoting your dogs/cats back to the kitchen or whatever not cause resentment towards the newborn since it'd be a huge change in routine for your pet?

I have 2 kids.
    For the first few months of each newborn's life, we kept the cat out. Thankfully we didn't have the dog at the time so it was just the cat, that was slightly put out for a bit.
    But he was allowed in during the day, so it wasn't such a huge deal for him.
    When we estimated that baby was mobile enough and strong enough to push away the cat or roll away from it should the cat come in the cot, we let the cat in again.

As it happens, I know my cat, and I knew that he wouldn't be interested in sleeping in the cot. He never did, he went in under my supervision for a sniff, then I took him out, and that was that. He never tried to lie on top of the baby like some say cats do. You always have this image of a cat suffocating a baby that way, but as I said, my cat was more weary (and a bit disgusted at) the babies, and so never showed any inclination to lie on them.

I had bought a cot net to keep away cat just in case, it never ever was used. But yes, cat out for, I don't remember exactly, but probably first six months of each. At six months, most babies are pretty mobile, and imo a lot of cats would rather not sleep with them.

Now if I had a very very cuddly, lap female purring machine for example, I might have decided to extend the "No entry" rule. :D

My old Popey wasn't traumatised at being left to sleep on the sofa for 6 months each time. Now he wants to sleep with the kids all the time (not kicking as much), but they don't want him :)

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

I admit there's vastly differing opinions on this thread and everybody is entitled to their opinion, but.. there's a reason why diseases like asthma and dust allergies and hay fever are so prevalent these days. It's partly genetic but also partly environmental and the completely over the top sterile, overly hygienic, practically germ free homes that some people insist on living in.[/url]

This I agree with 100%

My kids have always been around dogs / cats etc and not one of them have any allergy of any type.Its the whole keeping everything completely clean has in my opinion caused more kids to get more allergies than even my generation has.

My kids will roll around the floor playing with the pets.They`ll sleep beside the dogs on the sofa and they`ll feed the dogs with their own hands and then eat their own food no matter how much we drill it into them to wash after feeding the dogs.But kids will be kids and in my opinion its stopped them getting allergies and asthma etc.

I know other kids that have every allergy under the sun because of the overly hygenic homes that they live in.

I even think theres been research done regarding this that proved this correct.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Infracted for that post.Ive already warned multiple times on thread and you post this.Infraction given for ignoring mod instructions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭deadman1972

I have a question for the "ooh no pets are dirty and full of germs" brigade posting here(well just the one person really). If thats your attitude why bother getting a pet at all? I would hate to see ya changing a scuttery nappy:eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,340 ✭✭✭borderlinemeath

I have a question for the "ooh no pets are dirty and full of germs" brigade posting here(well just the one person really). If thats your attitude why bother getting a pet at all? I would hate to see ya changing a scuttery nappy:eek:

I gag more at having to change dirty nappies than picking up dog poo.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 232 ✭✭deadman1972

border thats exactly my point,if the OP is all foo foo about pets being germ magnets imagine them trying to tackle that:eek:;)

Advertisement