Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Swansea vs Man Utd KO 1:30 SS1. Mod not #307

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Pj!

At least we will get back 40% of Carroll transfer fee :)

But let compare it to a striker SAF decided to buy.

United will probably be lucky to get back 20% of his transfer fee :D

So Liverpool lose £21 million and United lose around £4 million.

And you're posting this with smugness and added smiley faces? Bloody hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,521 ✭✭✭Giggsy11

At least we will get back 40% of Carroll transfer fee :)

But let compare it to a striker SAF decided to buy.

United will probably be lucky to get back 20% of his transfer fee :D

Talking about percentages, Hypia has to be one of the worst buys for you lot, Signed for over 2 million and you got 0% back :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Ferguson's interview was funny alright. Wonder will the FA be pulling him up on it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,399 ✭✭✭✭Thanx 4 The Fish

This is a match thread for Man U and Swansea. Get it back on the topic of that.

Each off topic post after this warning will get a card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The ref did seem to freeze a lot today it must be said. It probably effected both teams but he took the easy option of a no call far too much I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭Captain Morgan Freeman

Out of curiosity what actually happened between Williams and Van Persie?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Look back a few pages!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,038 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

Van Persie tried to block down a Williams clearance with the back of his head and it all kicked off from there, well that was my unbiased view of the situation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

Williams tried to assassinate RVP with a football.

This is the Call of Duty thread isnt it ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭daithijjj

When the ball hits your head and you could have been dead, its Van Persie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

A-1S97UCUAE3CUM.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,479 ✭✭✭wheres me jumpa

Fergies reaction aside, I am surprised at the under reaction I have encountered to the initial incident today. I have seen this happen so many times on a football field. Its almost a gimme, player goes down, whistle blown, ball is loose, kick it at the player, all manner of schmozzle breaks out, player gets away it because he didnt hear the whistle and was only trying to clear the ball.

The significance here is the ball is driven at a players head. Theres a particular angle where you can see RVP is flat on the ground before Williams even starts a kicking motion. People will always disagree with Fergies reactions but I think some football fans I have encountered today need the tint of their glasses examined. It's a disgraceful action on the behalf of Williams regardless of what team/player it is performed against.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

Didn't think he meant it until I watched MOTD. I'm in no doubt that he did now.
    It was a fairly scummy thing to do and could have resulted in a bad neck injury in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,907 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

I agree, it was poor form from Williams and as you say it happens regularly enough.

However, Ferguson's OTT reaction here is the sticking point. It's not like he called for a similar punishment for Exhibit A below -

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭RayCon

Re: Ferguson's post match comments:

Nelson_Ha-Ha.jpg

Fergies reaction aside, I am surprised at the under reaction I have encountered to the initial incident today. I have seen this happen so many times on a football field. Its almost a gimme, player goes down, whistle blown, ball is loose, kick it at the player, all manner of schmozzle breaks out, player gets away it because he didnt hear the whistle and was only trying to clear the ball.

The significance here is the ball is driven at a players head. Theres a particular angle where you can see RVP is flat on the ground before Williams even starts a kicking motion. People will always disagree with Fergies reactions but I think some football fans I have encountered today need the tint of their glasses examined. It's a disgraceful action on the behalf of Williams regardless of what team/player it is performed against.

What's happened here is Ferguson has seen his team drop points. That's all. He's bitter about it so he'll do his best to detract from that.

Obviously, Ferguson should be punished for accusing a player of almost murdering a fellow professional. He's bringing the game into disrepute and hopefully he'll be done for it.

It was a bizarre interview though. Very bizarre. It should be an interesting season!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,172 ✭✭✭✭kmart6

Xavi6 wrote: »
    I agree, it was poor form from Williams and as you say it happens regularly enough.

However, Ferguson's OTT reaction here is the sticking point. It's not like he called for a similar punishment for Exhibit A below -

Ah yes, cause a ball kicked at someone from a yard away can have the same serious impact as one that has travelled 10-15 yards! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭Essien

While I certainly have the utmost respect for the guy, Fergie really does spew some small time, petty nonsense when things don't go his way.

I know all managers do it to varying degrees but he takes it to a whole other level.

I don't understand how he's allowed abuse refs to the extent he does. The ref wasn't even particularly bad in this game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,391 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

The only way it'd have been more dangerous is if the ball had a grenade in it. Shocking stuff and there should be at least a 2 season ban for Williams and a demotion for Swansea and Man City because of it.

Liam O wrote: »
    The only way it'd have been more dangerous is if the ball had a grenade in it. Shocking stuff and there should be at least a 2 season ban for Williams and a demotion for Swansea and Man City because of it.

Still a more conservative response than Fergies :D

• Advertisement

Ferguson seriously can't get away with accusing a professional footballer of almost murdering another footballer. Ultimately it was a nothing incident, But he needs to be banned for using an opposition player to detract from his team's failure to capture three points!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭SirDelboy18

Ban everyone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,695 ✭✭✭✭osarusan

kmart6 wrote: »
    Ah yes, cause a ball kicked at someone from a yard away can have the same serious impact as one that has travelled 10-15 yards! :rolleyes:

It all depends on the power of the kick.

Anyway, the key difference between the Ven Persie incident and the Ferdinand incident is that there is no doubt about the accidental nature of what Ferdiniand did. Although, I'm not so sure at all that it was deliberate in Van Persie's case either, and it can never be proven.

Yellow was about all that could have been given, and Van Persie deserved one too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,878 ✭✭✭RayCon

it's just as valid as their other headlines .....

233828.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,645 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

Can't wait for the ' come on leave it bleedin out ' bits to be dubbed onto fergies comments.....****ing ridiculous and ott but that's nothing new. What's different is suggesting Williams deliberatly tried to hurt VP which is sinister even by fergies standards. Then again one or two of his own players have had form in this regard over the years .

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

Why are you arguing the point???? You must have the blinkers on!
    Its such a similar thing. Rio kicked the ball in anger and smacked a supporter in the face. And it was a powerful strike just like Williams. The main difference is Rvp was not hurt but the supporter was. Rio should have been banned, and maybe jailed for attempted murder!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Just watching the game now as I missed it yesterday. 13 minutes in and Vidic has been caught for pace so often. I know he wasn't the fastest but I don't think he was this slow pre-injury...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Leiva

Mars Bar wrote: »
    Just watching the game now as I missed it yesterday. 13 minutes in and Vidic has been caught for pace so often. I know he wasn't the fastest but I don't think he was this slow pre-injury...

Vidic always got caught for pace ?

Leiva wrote: »

It seemed a bit more obvious yesterday though, maybe Michu is just deceptively quick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,949 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

Leiva wrote: »

Probably says more about his lack of positioning and anticipation due to the amount of game time he has had. He rarely found himself in a position where he would be outpaced.
    He didn't keep the offside line for Swansea goal. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

If Fergie was a different manager,surely the tabloid press and therefore the sheep would be accusing him of "cracking up"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Of course it can. It's all dependent upon the initial speed. It's quiet a simple calculation and an extremely basic concept

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭tolosenc

gucci wrote: »
    If Fergie was a different manager,surely the tabloid press and therefore the sheep would be accusing him of "cracking up"

Can you imagine the reaction if Mourinho had accused Messi of attempted murder here:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

I think it was intentional, he even hits the ball with the outside of the foot....but I think an attempted manslaughter charge is the most Fergie can hope for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,222 ✭✭✭✭Will I Amnt

gucci wrote: »
    Probably would if he wasn't 4 points clear at the top...
    Sure that's hardly a position to be cracking up in :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭mark renton

RayCon wrote: »
    it's just as valid as their other headlines .....

233828.jpg
    Quote from Roy Keane "Pot, kettle"

He could have been killed,
    He could have been ki-i-illed,
    Robin Van Persie,
    He could have been killed.

:pac:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 18,184 ✭✭✭✭Lapin

Xavi6 wrote: »

I'm no United fan, but what Ferdinand did there was relatively harmless.

And the reaction of the fan in that clip and her friend with the arms around her were way over the top.

She got hit by a football at a football game.

Yet she reacts as though her mother just fell off the roof of the Stretford end.

Fúckin drama queen playing the victim. Get over it.

Essien wrote: »
    He could have been killed,
    He could have been ki-i-illed,
    Robin Van Persie,
    He could have been killed.

:pac:
    Dead like?

Turtyturd wrote: »
    I think it was intentional, he even hits the ball with the outside of the foot....but I think an attempted manslaughter charge is the most Fergie can hope for.

Lol at "attempted manslaughter".

• Advertisement

john47832 wrote: »
    Dead like?

Fucked, like, proper fucked.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    If it can be proven that it was intentional and pre meditated then it cant be manslaughter, it has to be attempted murder - could create a discussion thread on the legal forum for this

Imo - fergie should proceed with attempted murder and then Williams may plead to the lesser charge of manslaughter

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,503 ✭✭✭✭fullstop

Lapin wrote: »

I'm no United fan, but what Ferdinand did there was relatively harmless.

And the reaction of the fan in that clip and her friend with the arms around her were way over the top.

She got hit by a football at a football game.

Yet she reacts as though her mother just fell off the roof of the Stretford end.

Fúckin drama queen playing the victim. Get over it.
    Footballer gets hit by...wait for it...a football and reacts as if his mother just fell off the roof of the Stretford End.

If it can be proven that it was intentional and pre meditated then it cant be manslaughter, it has to be attempted murder - could create a discussion thread on the legal forum for this

No need. Everyone is talking out of their arses about this stuff. Nothing he did was criminal. Move on.

Also, on a side note, unlawful killing doesn't have to be pre meditated to be murder. What are you suggesting anyway? That before the match he planned to contrive that situation so he could murder someone on live television by kicking a ball at the back of his head?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭Benimar

I know that all 'real' fans must defend their team at all costs, be they Man U, Liverpool, Celtic, Rangers etc, but this is just a new low.

How can anyone take this 'attempted murder' seriously?? Ferguson over-reacted, big deal. It's his MO after a poor result. Why do people feel the need to defend a ridiculous statement just because of who made it?

If a Reading defender hit a Sunderland player in the head with the ball and MON came out and claimed it was attempted murder the entire site would be in fits of laughter.

Nah, he obviously tried to decapitate poor Robin and fergie is well within his rights to take this one all the way to the criminal courts

and also the trip when he got up was a penalty...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,235 ✭✭✭ceegee

Where is all this talk of attempted murder coming from, SAF said he could have been killed, which is very different from saying he tried to kill him. A blow to the back of the head from that range, with what looks like full force behind it could very well do serious damage depending on where contact was made and the positioning of the head and neck. Comparing it to being hit when standing in a wall ten yards away is just nonsense

What are you suggesting anyway? That before the match he planned to contrive that situation so he could murder someone on live television by kicking a ball at the back of his head?

Yes I have watched the footage over and over, and its can be seen that Williams is watching RVP at all times in the lead up to the incident

IMO... Premeditated attempted murder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Yes I have watched the footage over and over, and its can be seen that Williams is watching RVP at all times in the lead up to the incident

You might have to try harder....I don't think he gets humour.

Nah, he obviously tried to decapitate poor Robin and fergie is well within his rights to take this one all the way to the criminal courts

and also the trip when he got up was a penalty...

Lol. Sure it is. Luckily your opinion (genuine or otherwise) isn't worth a cent.

• Advertisement
Advertisement